The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

When is your largest meal of the day?

• morning

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • midday

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • late afternoon

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • other (with comment hopefully, the things people do differently are usually interesting)

Votes: 3 16.7%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a quote from an interview with Joyce Carol Oates.

"I haven't any formal schedule, but I love to write in the morning, before breakfast. Sometimes the writing goes so smoothly that I don't take a break for many hours—and consequently have breakfast at two or three in the afternoon on good days. On school days, days that I teach, I usually write for an hour or forty-five minutes in the morning, before my first class."

It sounds like she doesn't have time for breakfast before that first class either.

It is an interesting interview. If anyone wants to read it, it's here.

Paris Review - The Art of Fiction No. 72, Joyce Carol Oates

There seem to be different opinions about breakfast.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I pretty much eat light breakfast and a lunch and have the largest meal with my wife at Dinner.

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine varies between lunch and dinner. I don't eat breakfast anymore.

I follow a stategy of minimizing my insulin usage. My basal needs are

night - very low
dawn - very high
midday - very low
evening - high

If I eat breakfast, I need double the insulin compared to the same meal at lunch. I'm not hungry in the morning anyway. My next meal is usually early evening.

btw i also love to get up very early and write, 4am to 5am some days.

Reactions: foxl

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Big breakfast, light lunch most of the time, big dinner.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Breakfast & lunch are usually combined here, just because I normally sleep late. Dinner is the big meal of the day, and we eat around 5:30pm. I voted late afternoon, as opposed to a later meal like 7:30-8pm, as is some folks' practice.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I usually have a small breakfast, followed by multiple snacks or small meals while I work, and then a small- to medium-sized dinner. I also have an after-dinner snack. Basically, I eat all day long. :p

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Before Diabetes I never ate in the morning. I would go off to the gym and workout 2-3 hours and never eat lunch until 1 or 2 pm. When I started to test I realised what that was doing to my bgs. They kept rising until I ate. I now eat something small as soon as I get up and then usually a bigger breakfast around 9 am. Lunch is usually my biggest meal around 2 pm. We eat dinner late around 7-8 pm and it is usually lite. If I get hungry during the day I snack on nuts or cheese. They always tell you that breakfast is important if you want good weight control. Because eating first thing in the morning reves up your metabolism for the day. Now that I understand liver dumps I realise why my bgs were so high on dx.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd read so many times that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, that when I read about what Joyce was doing, it was a bit out of the blue. I don't understand working that long without taking a break, a coffee, and a snack worked in too. But guess we are all different.

I have an interrupted sleeping pattern. If I eat during one of those awake times in the middle of the night, it does take twice as much insulin to cover it. For breakfast it is just a little more than other times in the day, but not much.

So this has been interesting to me. I'm going to deemphasize breakfast from now on.

thanks for all the comments

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Bigist meal is dinner between 6:00 PM and 9:00 PM

Most carby meal is lunch

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ackee

I don't know if this is right place to ask this but has anyone heard of the Jamaican fruit ackee? Can't seem to find a lot of info on it but it looks low carb. Any comments?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts