The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any indian cusine fans here? I actually ran into a recipe and from my beginner low carb eyes it *seems* OK but want to run by the veterans here...

3 Tablespoons of Oil (i have olive...)
1 1/2 tbs garlic (i can use powder)
1 1/2 tbs ginger paste
2 tsp salt
2 chopped onions (info 160g -> 15g carb, 7g sugar, 0 fat)
1 tsb chilli powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp coriander powder
3tsp garam masala
1 tsp tumeric powder
21oz lamb meat
3/4 tin peeled plum tomatoes (normal tomatoes 149g -> 6g carbs, 4g suagr 0 fat)
2tbs plain yogurt

It *seems* to be safe? this supposed to serve 4..... Obviously this dish is supposed to be eaten with bread/rice but i guess i could just eat it by itself...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - don't just guess, definitely ditch the bread/rice/anything else carby. :)
but otherwise the carb count is OK? i mean it serves 4 so i should be eating it 4 times so the carb shouldnt matter too much right? Also, are spices in general low in carbs or there are some spices i should watch out for?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I LOVE Indian food and that seems like it should be fine. The only way to determine your appropriate portion size is to eat and test ... have at it! Now, you may have to make this more than once ...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you have access to greek yogurt ( full fat) use that. I think the recipe sounds great. You could serve it over shredded cabbage or zucchini or spaghetti squash. Some chop up cauliflower to look like rice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i made the recipe and it tastes great! unfortunately there was only lamb breast available and took a while for me to break the bones! Also, dont use too much oil... after cooking there was a lot of oil on surface.....

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
i made the recipe and it tastes great! unfortunately there was only lamb breast available and took a while for me to break the bones! Also, dont use too much oil... after cooking there was a lot of oil on surface.....
So how did your meter like it? :D Did you test an hour after eating? Two hours, I hope?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
oh i didnt meter it....
That's the only way you're going to learn how to eat right managing your blood sugars. Test before the meal, test at one hour after your first bite, and test a third time two hours after your first bite. If it's too much carbs, your meter will tell you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, did a test today... before lunch was 158 - about 1.5 hours after i had a mid morning snack. 2 hours after a decent helping of the dish (still had leftovers....) it is 107 ..... there's really not many carbs in it i guess since the only carbby thing in there is the tomato and i ate the curry like a soup... i also need to emphasize i took metaphormin during lunch so it could lower it a bit?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts