Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

It felt strange

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  optimist 
#1 ·
It really felt strange when I had a low today (2,8), and had to set insulin the same time I tried to get my BG up:eek:
Lantus doesn`t start to work before 5 hours after I take the dose.
Humalog kicks in after 2 hours.

In a deseprate attempt to balance my meal to when the insulin works (humalog is effective for just an little hour), I take my Humalog 2 hours before I eat.
This afternoon my BG dropped to 2,8 exactly 2hours before dinner, so while drinking orangejuice to make my BG rise I also set my Humalog so I would be able to eat dinner.
It worked out just fine, but it really felt strange......

#4 ·
So optimist, if you were to take your insulin right before eating, as is "generally" recommended, you would have a post-meal bg spike that would start to come down in a couple hours? That's exactly what happens to me. Doc sez to test in 2 hrs, but for me it's 3 hours for insulin effect to start, and 4 hrs before I bottom out and everything has been metabolized. Nice to see I'm not the only one like this... :)

#5 ·
same for me...I thought I was crazy (um I still might be) I take novorapid...and its NOT rapid!

#6 ·
Allthough its sad to hear you also struggle with insulin that doesn`t work when it is supposed to, its good to hear I`m not alone.
Lantus does not kick in before at least 5 hours, and Humalog kicks in after 2 hours.
If I set my insulin 15 minutes before a meal, my BG will be over 10 for 2 hours, and this is the same for each time I eat. Thanks to this my A1c is now higher.
It is not me using to little insulin, because when the humalog kicks in my BG drops to a high 3 or a low 4.

#7 ·
I've noticed that if I test about three hours after taking my insulin and find that it hasn't yet decided to "show up" in my bg numbers, I can kind of give it a little nudge if I go take the dogs for a walk.

This isn't an every-time kind of thing, and there have prolly been just as many instances when there was no difference whatsoever after a workout, but the last couple of days, inexplicably high numbers (150-ish) have been cut almost in half just by having our Mutt Trio take me for a three-mile drag around the neighborhood.

This isn't meant to be the typical "get off your ass" kind of exercise-encouraging post; it's more of a physiological curiosity. Is it crazy to imagine the exercise "kicking loose" the insulin that was kind of hanging around in the subcutaneous tissues? Is it common to have injected insulin need a little circulatory boost?

#8 ·
For me, the insulin doesn`t kick in even if I`m cleaning the house, walking with our dogs or do some shopping (I really hate shopping, so I do it once a week, and thats a big job)
Earlier it kicked in after 15 minutes and it worked for me for a long time. The humalog now only works after two and a half hour, and half an hour later my BG starts climbing again.
Annoying, but I keep some control since I lowered my carbo to a minimum.....

Reactions: Patdart
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.