The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this itchy skin thing I have? I itch in my groin,arm pits and inner arms. At times its pretty bad. It started right after I took penicillin.Its been going on for several months and seem to react to sugar!! sugar brings it on.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sounds like you are allergic to the penicillian and it caused an immune response. Have you seen a Dermatologist. Both my daughters in their 20's got something called Guttate Psoraisis which is caused by a Streph virus that lives in their bodies. They often get outbreaks that take forever to disappear.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I had a spolchy rash twice that was so itchy & I was swollen in my lower legs & feet. It was horrible . I had it neck to foot. My inner thighs even swelled up so bad I could hardly walk. It was like I had 2 canalopes between my legs lol I know TMI.
Doc said again it was becuz my meds where kicking in & I was out of control with my ## being so high. I took lots of oatmeal baths thats for sure. I hope it never shows its ugly head again.
I almost went to the ER.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Carolina, I've had very high numbers and never had the situation you are explaining. It sounds more like a reaction to a drug or an allergic reaction to the immune system. I know that I do get itchy skin here and there, but typically it will go away without causing inflammation like you are describing. That sounds horrible. What meds do you take, have any of them recently changed or a new drug been added? Have you recently been ill or had an infection of some kind? Could you have had shingles? Let me know. I know many diabetics do have difficulty with psoriasis or very dry skin.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Carolina, I've had very high numbers and never had the situation you are explaining. It sounds more like a reaction to a drug or an allergic reaction to the immune system. I know that I do get itchy skin here and there, but typically it will go away without causing inflammation like you are describing. That sounds horrible. What meds do you take, have any of them recently changed or a new drug been added? Have you recently been ill or had an infection of some kind? Could you have had shingles? Let me know. I know many diabetics do have difficulty with psoriasis or very dry skin.
It could have been from new meds that I was given. I have been on all of them now a while. ecept the lantus that is new, but this was before that. My derm doc says I have immune system issues too. I have almost lost all my hair. :eek: Only on my head. Hair grows everywhere else :eek:
No shingles thank the lord. My mother had it 2 times & I don't even want that.
I have very very dry skin. I could sit in a vat of oil & it still would be dry. Doc said to not take baths or use hot water. and to have quick showers & not everyday.:eek:
IDK but I went downhill in the last few yrs lol

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It could have been from new meds that I was given. I have been on all of them now a while. ecept the lantus that is new, but this was before that. My derm doc says I have immune system issues too. I have almost lost all my hair. :eek: Only on my head. Hair grows everywhere else :eek:
No shingles thank the lord. My mother had it 2 times & I don't even want that.
I have very very dry skin. I could sit in a vat of oil & it still would be dry. Doc said to not take baths or use hot water. and to have quick showers & not everyday.:eek:
IDK but I went downhill in the last few yrs lol
It could be from new meds Carolina. It could also be just aging as well. I know my Mom (was a Type2) had issues with the dry skin and psoriasis in her later years. Again, I have noticed that I get a patch of dry skin right in the middle of my left palm. It is so annoyingl! I typically do not take hot showers (never hot baths anymore); I try to use the coolest water I can, and it could also be from some soaps that will have a tendency to dry the skin out. See if your soap has a high content of alcohol in it. Alcohol dries the skin out. And, keep in mind, diabetics do have compromised immune systems, so your derm doc may just be right. Try to take less showers (I know that sounds gross, but unless you sweat alot, you really can go every other day) and try using sensitive skin products.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Growing up I had lots of excema especially in the winter. I remember those horrible Rx lotions that smelled like cod liver oil were the only thing that worked. Before I was dx'd with diabetes I got a lot of skin rashes right under the skin. After about a year or so of lower bgs the rash disappeared. I am still senstive to chemicals in detergents, soaps and lotions. You may want to switch to some of the clear hypoallergenic laundry products. They do make a difference. Also try rubbing Coconut Oil on your skin, it really helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is it possibly a yeast infection? If you have been on an antibiotic a yeast infection can occur afterwards. There is also a yeast skin infection and a whole body yeast infection. You might want to ask your doctor.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Weaver- I think I do have a yeast imbalance(good vs Bad) and the Bad win when I eat any kind of sugar(even splenda). Also breads can get the little buggers going. My doc gave me some type of steroid cream that really works wonders. Im staying away from all sugars and other foods with high yeast content and my situation is much better. Bottom line is low glucose means no itch problems. Thanks for the input and information

·
Registered
16 Posts
Right out of the hospital, I needed to be on a high amount of potassium because mine was so low. I got terribly itchy skin every time I took that.. Yep, that was absolutely no help but I remember it really sucked so I can relate. It does sound like you should look into the allergenic reaction to something.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Growing up I had lots of excema especially in the winter. I remember those horrible Rx lotions that smelled like cod liver oil were the only thing that worked. Before I was dx'd with diabetes I got a lot of skin rashes right under the skin. After about a year or so of lower bgs the rash disappeared. I am still senstive to chemicals in detergents, soaps and lotions. You may want to switch to some of the clear hypoallergenic laundry products. They do make a difference. Also try rubbing Coconut Oil on your skin, it really helps.

Hi jwags I too have very dry skin & find that goats milk soap (the unscented ones) are really good especially for excema

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What I don't understand is --- why does it seem like those of us with diabetes, whether it is well controlled or not, have this awful dry skin? Maybe if I could understand "why" I could tolerate the itching better.

I think I have every kind of lotion there is on the shelf at the drugstore and still I can itch my legs until they almost bleed. I feel like a freak.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
916 Posts
I too have itchy skin. so I can relate. If I had the money back for all the lotions I bought that don't work I would be filty rich. :sad:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yes Maam, I heartily agree. Each time I buy a 'new' lotion I have high hopes that this is "THE" one that will relieve this doggone itching. But No....it isn't :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is this itchy skin thing I have? I itch in my groin,arm pits and inner arms. At times its pretty bad. It started right after I took penicillin.Its been going on for several months and seem to react to sugar!! sugar brings it on.
I also get a few of the same itchy areas, and they are tied to sugar intake. Itchy skin, also called pruritis, is one of the issues related to diabetes. It could also be related to some of the other things that have been mentioned; each person reacts differently to diabetes, penicillin, etc.

I had allergies that weren't diagnosed by an allergist. One itchy contributor for me happens to be dairy and foods containing dairy. When I eat it, my arm pits, scalp, fingers and nose itches, but not other areas. My arm pits don't itch if I eat high glycemic foods.

I hope that you've figured out the problem, and have gotten relief by now.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have a dry patch right in the palm of my left hand...which drives me nuts because I wash my hands ALOT (I work in an office where there are many little kids so germs are a problem) and I am also left-handed, so it is really annoying! Try rubbing some coconut oil on your itchy skin. Coconut oil is supposed to have anti-bacterial and anti-virus agents to it, so see if that helps. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have a dry patch right in the palm of my left hand...which drives me nuts because I wash my hands ALOT (I work in an office where there are many little kids so germs are a problem) and I am also left-handed, so it is really annoying! Try rubbing some coconut oil on your itchy skin. Coconut oil is supposed to have anti-bacterial and anti-virus agents to it, so see if that helps. Just a suggestion.

Coconut oil as in the same stuff we use for cooking, baking etc.? I bought a new brand last week and the smell of it is wonderful! Makes me hungry just to smell it :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have always had dry itchy skin and dealth with excema most of my life. A few years ago I decided to give up most wheat and grains when I started low carb. The amazing thing is my skin improved immensely. No more dry patches.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My dry skin isnt too bad at the moment..not sure if due to lower BG or only using goats milk soap

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Coconut oil as in the same stuff we use for cooking, baking etc.? I bought a new brand last week and the smell of it is wonderful! Makes me hungry just to smell it :)
Yes Strawberry, the same coconut oil that we use for cooking, baking, etc. If you google coconut oil, you will see the many health benefits from it, not just for the kitchen!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts