The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya guys,

I am type 1 and though my doc has told me what sort of things to eat, to not eat but im interested to know what are your do's and dont's, of course overall it must be pretty similar but I am from Pakistan and like for example my doc says I should eat more chapati aka roti instead of white bread.

I love cheese, pizzas, fries, i mean who doesnt :D but i am noticing rapid changes happening to my body and its starting to scare me abit. I work the night shifts and sleep has been a constant problem for the past 6 or 7 years. I am a regular smoker, smoke almost a pack a day, when stressed goes up to almost 2 packs. I am also borderline angina, suffer with high bp and when I tell people im short tempered coz of it, they think im using it as an excuse, which honestly I really am not.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Since I'm not type 1, Denise . . . I'm not even on insulin . . . I won't go into a lot of detail about your meal planning. One thing to watch out for though, is ANY grain products. Wheat especially seems to be a chronic offender for those of us trying to keep our glucose levels in control. So do some postprandial testing for awhile now, if you're eating a lot of bread/rice/pasta etc., because these are all grain products.

Now I'm gonna move aside to make room for the others who are more acquainted with the problems you face. :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've eliminated potatoes, pasta and most grains from my diet. I do eat bread from time to time because I love to bake it. But it really does take a lot of insulin to cover it, so I consider bread a special treat - not a regular part of my plan.

When I absolutely must have pizza I just eat the toppings. Sausage, eggplant, basil, garlic and mushrooms....mmmmmmm! When I stick to the straight and narrow (lots of salad veggies, avocados, broccoli, cauliflower, fresh meats and fish, cheese, olive oil, a little butter), my BG is well controlled. Eating stuff like ice cream, bread, sweetened foods, large quantities of fruit causes my control to fail and insulin use to skyrocket. Not worth it most of the time.

Jen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts