The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not remember where I mentioned this, so I just started a new thread on it. Sorry.

I had previously mentioned that I thought I had a pinched nerve in my neck region, however I went to the chiropractor and ultimately had an MRI done. Turns out I have two herniated discs in my neck! Go figure! Now when I say I have a pain in my neck, I guess I mean literally! :D

I have to go to the chiropractor today to discuss my options in order to help alleviate this pain and other things going on. I've had tingling in my hands and I got nervous that it was from neuropathy or something related to the diabetes. I guess now I know it is from the discs in my neck. :(

Just goes to show you, it's always something!

·
Registered
370 Posts
You did the right thing in getting the MRI. I tolerated a lot of pain in my back (kind of the guy "thing" about denial). Finally, my Doc said she could do nothing else until I had an MRI. Turns out 3 herniated discs in my lower back.

Went to an Orthopaedic Surgeon who started me on a high dose oral Prednisone regimen which knocked it out. As it is progressive, I've also have had 2 epidurals over the last year or so.

Physical Therapy may help you as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Mine aren't herniated/ruptured, they're bulging, but I had ignored a stiff neck for many months before realizing it was more than just "sleeping crooked". It got so my neck felt like it couldn't hold up my head any longer, and yet lying down was extremely uncomfortable. The neurosurgeon recommended PT if it got any worse . . . so far a cervical collar & round-the-clock maximum doses of ibuprofen for the inflammation has kept mine in check.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I am about to go over to the chiropractor in a few minutes to discuss options. He does a decompression therapy that I will probably go for since it is noninvasive and I do not want to do any type of surgery or pain meds.

Shanny, how do you tolerate round the clock ibuprofen? Doesn't that rip a hole in your stomach? My daughter caused a hole in her stomach from too much ibuprofen (took for severe menstrual cramps) and cannot take it anymore. She is even very careful with acetaminophine. The collar is probably good because it lifts up on the neck to allow the bulge an area to move back into. How long have you been dealing with this?

Insulation, that sucks! 3 herniated discs in the lower back? Is there any type of therapy that can be done to help? Don't you hate getting epidurals and such? I know I didn't care for those when I was giving birth, so I cannot imagine having them on a routine basis. It hurt!

Thanks for the well wishes though. All I know is I cannot take this constant feeling in my neck and my hands and fingers tingling. My arms feel heavy as well. I feel like I am constantly stressed, and I deal with enough of that feeling as it is!

I'll keep you up to date as to what is suggested. Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well, I am about to go over to the chiropractor in a few minutes to discuss options. He does a decompression therapy that I will probably go for since it is noninvasive and I do not want to do any type of surgery or pain meds.

Shanny, how do you tolerate round the clock ibuprofen? Doesn't that rip a hole in your stomach? My daughter caused a hole in her stomach from too much ibuprofen (took for severe menstrual cramps) and cannot take it anymore. She is even very careful with acetaminophine. The collar is probably good because it lifts up on the neck to allow the bulge an area to move back into. How long have you been dealing with this?

Insulation, that sucks! 3 herniated discs in the lower back? Is there any type of therapy that can be done to help? Don't you hate getting epidurals and such? I know I didn't care for those when I was giving birth, so I cannot imagine having them on a routine basis. It hurt!
Thanks for the well wishes though. All I know is I cannot take this constant feeling in my neck and my hands and fingers tingling. My arms feel heavy as well. I feel like I am constantly stressed, and I deal with enough of that feeling as it is!

I'll keep you up to date as to what is suggested. Thanks.
I looked forward to the epidurals after I remembered what a happy woman my wife became after 20 hours of hard labor before they shot here up. Worked for all 3 boys.

Also, as far as Ibuprofen which is part of a large group of drugs called NSAIDS, which includes aspirin, they all have the ability to harm or irritate the stomach lining. The inhibit Prostaglandins which cause inflammation; Unfortunately, prostaglandins are involved in the secretion of the mucous that lines and protects the stomach.

Tylenol (acetaminophen) has no anti inflammatory properties. Just analgesia.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Well, I'm glad you had it checked out and now you can search out options. I know a lot of people who swear by their chiropracters. Good Luck with your appointment.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanny, how do you tolerate round the clock ibuprofen? Doesn't that rip a hole in your stomach?
It hasn't so far, and it normally takes only a coupla days using 800mg every eight hours, and the flare-up settles down.
How long have you been dealing with this?
The diagnosis came in 1998, although I was ignoring the stiff neck for many months before. Shortly after the diagnosis, my COBRA ran out & I was without medical insurance for twelve years then, so there was no option of surgery or anything else - I had to stay well.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You may wish to read this book HERE

I have had great success with his "Treat your own back".

Easy to read and very straightforward on what works.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I was diagnosed with bulging discs in Sept, 2010. I had physical therapy for 8 weeks.The discs involved were in my neck and upper back. The therapy helped, and there were several exercises I was given to do at the PT building and at home. Next door to the building is a gym with about 100 machines for exercising body muscles. (Well...maybe not 100, but it seems that way.) I hired a trainer, and she talked to my therapist. I was started slowly with a few machines in December. Now it has been a year, and I workout for about 75 minutes, three days per week, doing 18 different machines and exercises. At age 72 I have more stamina than I can remember since my early 60s. I don't think I can see much new muscle, but I can do so much more with what I've got now. The gym costs me $24 per month and I can go as often as I want. If only I had started the gym 30 years ago!!

Shanny and Renee, I recommend PT and then a gym, assuming your doctors approve.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. The chiropractor did go over each and every one of them with me. I opted for the decompression therapy and had my first session of it right after the consult. I gotta tell you, just that first session has already made some improvement in my hands and arms tingling. They are definitely tingling much less than they were! Then he did infrared heat therapy on the back, an adjustment and done! I go back for another session tomorrow morning and then again on Friday. I am hoping this will do the trick. It is an expensive therapy, but surgery would be much more expensive and the PT, massage, adjustment, acupuncture, and meds/shots are all just fixes or band-aids if you will. The decompression and surgery are fixes for the problem, so I opted for that. I don't have time for different appointments all over town, and the chiropractor is right next door to where I work. So, that's that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts