The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wakened to the phone ringing this morning & news that our 9-year-old grandson had been airlifted to Denver Children's Hospital with trouble breathing. Still don't know a diagnosis, but he's finally off the ventilator, breathing on his own & beginning to wake up. His old granny isn't worth a plug nickel now, but at least the big knot that's been in her chest all day is beginning to subside.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Shanny! Oh my - every healing thought in his direction, and that great hugs emoticon for you that I'm too flustered to find.

What relief that he's out of the initial woods ...

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to hear, Shanny. Our thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I can't imagine, don't want to even try to imagine what that feels like. Please know that I'll be holding you, your grandson, and your entire family in the light. (((((hugs)))))

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i cant imagine hearing news like this :(

cant stand when children are in pain :(

i hope he's feeling better, please keep us posted

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Shanny, you know my thoughts and prayers are with you, your grandson and his parents! Try, even though it may be tough, to get some shuteye and please do try to take care of yourself as well!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As a mom I know the feeling when one of your own is hurting. Hopefully he will continue to improve. My thoughts are with you and your family.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Shanny, I know how we can be so afraid for the health of our grandkids. One of my grandkids had scary situation too. If he is breathing well now, he will probably be okay. I am wondering if it is an allergy. Good luck to you and your family!

G

·
Oh no, what a terrible shock for you and his parents. Poor child, but I'm so glad he was able to get quickly to a hospital with good care and that he's now breathing on his own.

Please keep us up-to-date on his progress.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I hope they figure out what it was, so they can make sure it never happens to him again!

Of course I am thinking my best thoughts for you and him, oh, my goodness.

I work across the street from a Children's Hospital and I cry every time I see a helicopter or ambulance.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh! It is so terrible when someone loved, specially kids, get really sick.
:hug:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shanny, I know how we can be so afraid for the health of our grandkids. One of my grandkids had scary situation too. If he is breathing well now, he will probably be okay. I am wondering if it is an allergy. Good luck to you and your family!
We're just hoping it isn't meningitis. It came on so early this morning that the kids didn't get a chance to notice any symptoms. He just came & crawled in bed with his dad while his mom got ready to go to work - next thing they knew he wasn't breathing right & they couldn't wake him. Called 911 & got him to the Greeley hospital (which is a fine hospital in its own right and the kids are both known in the Greeley medical community), where they ran blood tests, a CT scan & decided he'd be better off at Childrens. Thank heaven for Air Life.

And thank YOU all for your prayers/positive thoughts. He's a tough little rascal, but all day I kept thinking he must be so scared. But once they had him intubated, they kept him sedated.

Here he is (in the glasses) with a teammate after they won second place in their softball tournament this summer.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hope he is recovering and that you are okay too xx

·
Registered
690 Posts
Oh no Shanny! I hope all is well and he recovers quickly. I will be praying for you and your family.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Wow. Don't know what to say.

Please take care of yourself, Shanny!

Best vibes to that beautiful boy and all of the family!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Good thoughts and prayers are headed your way.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No news yet today . . . I have to keep reminding myself that they're waiting on the doc to make rounds & they're on mountain time too, so it's still early there.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oh Shanny what a terrible shock for you all, my thoughts & prayers with your family, I'm sure he's getting good care so please you need to take care of you too he will need his Gran

1 - 20 of 44 Posts