The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, this probably sounds strange, but I think my diagnosis of being pre-diabetic probably saved my life...

I've been eating all the wrong foods for much of my adult life and have found myself pretty sedentary (outside of school and work). Up until my diagnosis, I knew I needed to lose weight, but never really put much effort into it. There was always an excuse. And, I ate things because they tasted good, not paying attention to the caloric or carb intake. Overeating like that, being obese and sedentary is surely a quick way to the grave.

But, since the day I got my diagnosis, I have changed everything completely. I came home and ate healthy for the first time in years. I also started exercising on a daily basis and probably put my body into complete shock by actually doing something good for it. Surprisingly, it hasn't been as hard as I thought it was going to be. In fact, I've lost 6 lbs so far, which I am ecstatic about! I test 8-10 times a day while I'm still figuring out which foods will spike, but I have to say, the results have been remarkably good. My highest ever (even after a meal) was 130 and my average for the past 3 weeks is 96. Most of the time I'm between 69 -102. I just hope all of this is reflected in my next A1c in February!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the diagnosis was the 'kick in the pants' I needed to work on getting healthier. I've been such a picky eater over the years and now I'm eating things I never thought I would (or didn't know I would like!). I'm just sorry that it took this diagnosis for me to take action.

It's great having this forum...kind of like a long-distance support group! I do plan to visit frequently.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum Wendy!

i hope that you visit us regularly. This is by far, THE best place for us diabetics to talk freely and openly about whats going on with us.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as i feel that there are no "dumb" questions

You can do this, you can.

-Eric

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Wendy, doesn't sound strange, sounds wonderful! And that you are taking it seriously is wonderful!!! I was diagnosed last month as diabetic and can relate to what you say about food. The diagnosis "scared" me into changing my diet (a work in progress with testing and figuring out what to eat) and don't our bodies feel better for it?! I have a couple of friends in their 30's (married to each other) and one is probably diabetic (her bs scored very high) and the other is prediabetic. Both are very overweight and somewhat sedentary. It seems they are burying their heads in the sand :(
Thank god we can do something about it and we are so lucky to have internet and forums and info.!
You are so on the right path from the sounds of it. Congrats on your changes and weight loss :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Wendy, doesn't sound strange, sounds wonderful! And that you are taking it seriously is wonderful!!! I was diagnosed last month as diabetic and can relate to what you say about food. The diagnosis "scared" me into changing my diet (a work in progress with testing and figuring out what to eat) and don't our bodies feel better for it?! I have a couple of friends in their 30's (married to each other) and one is probably diabetic (her bs scored very high) and the other is prediabetic. Both are very overweight and somewhat sedentary. It seems they are burying their heads in the sand :(

I know what you are saying. It's funny, but now that I am watching my diet so closely, I look at what others around me are eating and I see them in the same habits I was in. My sister is overweight and eats way too many carbs and high fat foods and her son is even worse. At 20, he's overweight but his diet consists primarily of pizza, hamburgers, french fries, mac & cheese and spaghetti. I don't think he's every eaten a veggie in his life (except for corn). I look at him and realize that he is certainly on the fast track to this disease at such a young age. Unfortunately, both of them have their heads in the sand. I have tried to encourage my sister to see her doctor and have a blood test done, just to be sure as we have another sister that is also diabetic, but she hasn't done it. But then, I can't worry about others right now, I have to worry about taking care of me!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It really helps get us over the 'rough times'!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Sadly, this disease is very hereditary

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Same story over here, although I wasn't quite as involved with processed foods, soda pop, etc.; I've always cooked from scratch & based our meal planning on natural whole foods. What I didn't realize is what havoc the carbs play. I'd been buying into the low-fat propaganda, and ignoring all the damage high carbs can do. Now that I've been on low-carb high-fat eating for 18 months . . . I've lost 35 pounds and my diabetes is well under control. And it's so good to come here and talk with others who have discovered how well it WORKS! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
It sounds like we're in the same boat! I learned not a month ago that I was (basically) pre-diabetes, & my doctor told me if I cut down on bread, rice, potatoes, & pasta that I should be able to lose weight.
Just like with you, it was the kick in the pants I needed to start eating healthier & going for walks more often

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think this disease can definitely make us healthier. I know that I weigh 65 LBS less than I did at this time last year. Granted some of that was weight lost before diagnosis but I have still lost about 15-20 LBS since June. I am very in tune with my body and its needs. I hope to see you here often. It is a great place and we are glad you are here!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think this disease can definitely make us healthier. I know that I weigh 65 LBS less than I did at this time last year. Granted some of that was weight lost before diagnosis but I have still lost about 15-20 LBS since June. I am very in tune with my body and its needs. I hope to see you here often. It is a great place and we are glad you are here!
I can't believe it, but I've lost 14 pounds since my diagnosis! For me, it's been a fairly easy transition. I've given up most everything I ate before that was bad for me (with an admittedly occasional splurge) and have really been pleased with the weight loss thus far. And, exercising 30min per day, 7 days a week has helped, too. Oh, I don't go for my next A1C until late January, but I was curious to see what my efforts might show so I bought a home kit. I know they are not as accurate, but it did give me a smile on my face when my result was 5.3! If my lab A1c is even somewhere close to that, it's a BIG improvement from the 6.3 I was diagnosed at and will be a reward for all my efforts.

I finally get in with my endocrinologist next Thursday and hopefully she can shed light on some of my questions!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good to hear you'll finally get to see your endo . . . make a list so nothing gets forgotten! heheh! ;) And keep us posted, Wendy!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wendy Wendy Wendy Wendy, good job, way to go Wendy. You and I must have been in the same boat sometime in our lives. I was diagnosed Type II, sent home with 3 fast acting shots per day and one Lantus slow release at night. In two days I was able to quit the 3 fast acting and a month later I quit taking the Lantus. So yeah I am on nothing right now. Exercise and eating right did the trick. My results are in my signature and I have lost 75 pounds in 7 months. I am locked right now on my weight for over two months but due to exercise I think muscle is replacing fat. So yeah I think the diagnoses helped me a lot. And I am a much happier person now because of it all.

Stick around here and come at least ever other day. Some good advice and motivation here.

Keep it up.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I can't believe it, but I've lost 14 pounds since my diagnosis! For me, it's been a fairly easy transition. I've given up most everything I ate before that was bad for me (with an admittedly occasional splurge) and have really been pleased with the weight loss thus far. And, exercising 30min per day, 7 days a week has helped, too. Oh, I don't go for my next A1C until late January, but I was curious to see what my efforts might show so I bought a home kit. I know they are not as accurate, but it did give me a smile on my face when my result was 5.3! If my lab A1c is even somewhere close to that, it's a BIG improvement from the 6.3 I was diagnosed at and will be a reward for all my efforts.

I finally get in with my endocrinologist next Thursday and hopefully she can shed light on some of my questions!
Welcome Wendy....so glad that you joined us. We are here to answer any questions that you might have. I am glad that you are aware that home A1C test kits are not as accurate as labs A1C. I have some Bayer A1C test kits and they were 25% lower than my lab results. Good luck on your journey!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think a lot of us were in the same boat. I was a vegetarian eating tons of whole grains, especially cereals. I also exercised a ton. So I was shocked at my dx. I now realise my dysfunctional pancreas just can't handle carbs even the healthy ones like fruit, whole wheat pasta or fiber cereal. I now eat totally different and am much better controlled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts