The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jenny Ruhl, author of Blood Sugar 101: What They Don’t Tell You About Diabetes, is our guest on today’s episode of The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore!
After being diagnosed as a diabetic, Jenny worked hard on her diet and physical fitness, only to find that her blood sugar levels were continuing to get worse. To learn more, she spent years scouring the Internet for reliable information on diabetes and blood sugar. Much of what she found differed dramatically from what doctors were telling patients about what caused diabetes and how it should be treated.

She was searching for the answers to questions like: What do scientists actually know about Type 2 diabetes? Why do doctors miss diabetes diagnoses until long after people already have diabetic complications? And what blood sugar levels are truly low enough to prevent further damage to the organs and beta cells?

Jenny uncovered the reality of where the current practice recommendations most doctors follow came from and why they are inadequate to protect people with diabetes from complications. Fortunately, she also found some very solid information about what blood sugar levels seem to be low enough to prevent complications. Listen in for all the exciting details!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I just took an hour and listened to the interview. It was fantastic. She brings such a common sense approach to things. She also shows you it takes lots of trial and error to try to get on top of things. The most important thing she said no matter what approach you use is to do after meal testing and make sure your 2 hour pp number is not going high. Most of the complications, come from high 2 hour pp's not high fastings.

Reactions: d33na and fgummett

·
Registered
89 Posts
Frank thanks for posting :rockon:

I am just now most of the way through the audio and for me will have to listen again to get more of what she is talking about - lots of ground covered!!!

For those new to the forum be sure to check out Blood Sugar 101 Jenny has a great web site that I think works very well with the information here.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
This was great – thanks Frank.

It’s pro forma to say “we are all different” but Jenny lays that out in a real way. She says diabetes is a symptom not a disease – to say the later would be akin to saying a cough is a disease. There are literally 100’s of causes of diabetes.

She said, for example, her brother can eat whatever he wants and his bs never goes up, but his fastings are always high. She has a friend whose bs goes up with fat intake!

When explaining the reason A1C is not a good measure, she said (which could explain my 6.2 when my average 2 months prior was about 100 – that some people’s red blood cells live longer than average, which correlates w/ my endo saying it was pulling in numbers from more than 3 months ago.

Heart disease is a bs disease, she said, and A1C maps directly to heart disease/attack. Cholesterol on the other hand is a scattergraph when you map it.

Hunger is a symptom when your blood sugar is moving fast, a survival mechanism, which surely takes the monkey of my ravenous back before DX.

Interestingly, she said most men are able to control their bs at 100-120 g carbs.

She ate very low carb for a couple/few years and it got to her. She started dreaming of pastries, and when she was dxed w/ melanoma her first thought was that she was going to eat pastries until she died  It was a wake-up call for her that she was eating in too extreme a way so she upped her carbs and decided she was going to have no forbidden foods. She will eat a donut every month or two, and a high number every once in a while isn’t going to matter.

Great great interview. Did I say thanks Frank? THANKS FRANK!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Jenny said she take Prandin, now. Does anyone know anything about this? She seems to think it helps people with diabetes like hers. I think the most important thing she said was how she had several doctors tell her she didn't have diabetes because her fastings were low but her 2 hours pp's were very high. I wonder how many undiagnosed D's may fit into this category and are doing damage to their organs , especially the heart. I think the only thing I might disagree with is that very low carb diets are too hard for most people. I can see getting burned out. But that is when you need to start finding new recipes to make. I have to admit I do cheat once in awhile as she does but I make sure it is not often. When I cheat I am plagued by high bgs for days.

Reactions: fgummett

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
As Jenny said, her type of diabetes is not common, and I think - if she's right - that there are 100's of causes of diabetes, that most docs aren't equipped to deal with zebras, only horses.

It all underscored to me how different we all are. I took a quick and dirty route of eliminating carbs w/in reason, but can't say I've gone to the trouble to test each one. Maybe there are some I can eat. Maybe I can eat more in the afternoon w/out ill effect. Maybe maybe maybe. This was the easiest route for me, and I'm sticking with it for now. But I might be more open to cautious testing in the future.

I do think very low carb is tough for the majority of people. It hasn't been unduly difficult for me, though I'm not extremely low carb (about 50/day) but my circumstances made this go down more easily than it would have otherwise. Those of us on forums, checking in at least several times/week, continue getting support and information, and stay plugged in. We're the exception and forget what a tiny percentage of diabetics we are.

Reactions: fgummett

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think low carb was tough at first but I always think of the complications that can occur and that makes it easier. I have found some carbs I can eat and still be close to 110 at 2 hours. Things like sweet potatoes or Eziekel sprouted grain bread. I do think timing is important. I can't eat these things for breakfast but I can eat them at lunch. I usually have my bread at lunch. I wonder how you figure out what is causing your type of diabetes. I've used trial and error to figure out what is best for me. But it would be nice if there were some more specific medical tests so treatment would be easier.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My low-carbing just got a nice boost this week. For whatever reason, everlovin' husband has taken a fancy to Atkins now, instead of SBD. So I'm looking up some of the recipes he mentions & now I've made a couple of them . . . good cookin'! I doubt, however, that HE'LL even make peace with eating stuffed peppers for breakfast . . .

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Along with advice on forums, Jenny saved years of my life. It was her info on LADA that made me as tenacious as I was in pursuing GAD antibody testing. Added to my own intuition that something was not right ... she had done a lot of scientific reading for me, but then I also read it for myself ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.