The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone!
My name is...well...you guessed it: Susie Schwartz. (My user name might have given it away...)
I have had Type 1 diabetes for over 28 years and suffer with some complications of the disease as well as other random illnesses.
I am an author, speaker and musician and have had the privilege of sharing my story with others with diabetes and chronic illness. 3 1/2 years ago I got an insulin pump and love it!
I hope to learn from others dealing with similiar challenges and hope also to encourage and help others if I can.
I recently started a blog called "Diabetes, Fashion and Other Fun Stuff" which is searchable and I can also be followed on Twitter.
I am really grateful there are sites out there such as this one as they help so many people.
Talk with you soon!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi, and :welcome: to the forum!

G

·
welcome Susie :) wow, you sound like you would be very experienced. I'm type 2 on insulin (injecting). I also have 2 other chronic illnesses to deal with. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info... and I gather you would have lots of experience to share with us. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome Susie. I'm only a baby at this thing...type 2 I assume. No diagnosis yet as between the time I had my A1C and saw the doctor I had dropped it from 6.9 to 5.6 and he just told me to keep on doing what I was doing and now that I've lost 45 lbs and A1C is 5.2 without a glucose tolerance test or somesuch a true diagnosis would be very difficult. I eat High Fat and low carb (about 30 only) and am happy.

You must know a great deal and hopefully will share some of that hard earned knowledge with us.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome Susie! With 28 years behind you, and an insulin pump, you probably have things under rather good control now. I have used a Minimed pump for 4 years, and it sure has helped me.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and I am doing very well. I see you are an author and speaker. Do you give talks on diabetes? I have written a book about the first 64 years of my diabetes life. It is being sold on amazon.com.

I hope your complications are not serious, and that you will find this group to be helpful. Thanks for joining!

Richard

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Richard!

I do have much better control now but would still like it tighter.
I do give talks on diabetes. If my experience and story can help others, it not only hopefully gives them hope but me as well.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I agree with what you have said Susie. My book has helped others, and they have helped me too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts