The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi John. I am new too so I am not the one to lay it out ther for you. I can tell you I have spent hour here learning from these smart experienced people. This is an invaluable resource! Welcome!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the big D

Your diabetic, that means your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BG, So…You need to control your BG.

It can be done
your TOOLS

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the Nutrition labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BG
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar, pasta, corn (corn meal, corn flower, corn chips tacos…)
eating a bowl of mashed potato is worse for your BG than eating bowl of sugar. Your body metabolizes potato faster than sugar

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BG.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BS

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… test you BG before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat, this gives you your BG spike for the food. Test 2 hours after you eat your BG should be going down. test before exercise test after exercise.
Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

When you test use the side of your finger tip, much less pain

AND HAPPY TURKEY DAY

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jonto. A great place to read and learn is Blood Sugar 101 - in addition to being here of course :)

Glad you joined us.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine!

G

·
Hi Jonto

I'm also newly-diagnosed, and it certainly hit me for a six. But the people and posts here are a wonderful resource, along with the blood sugar 101 site that moon recommended. It's very well-organised, so you can read just the topics that puzzle you at the beginning, and do the whole site later.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Happy to meet you, John. Sorry you had to come looking for us, but glad you found us! Ask all the questions you want - there's enough collective knowledge, experience & wisdom to cover about any diabetes difficulty.

Take care & thank you for joining us! :wave:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Jonto & welcome!

I'm also a newly diagnosed T2.... so know how you feel :)

The blood101 site and these forums have helped me and given me so much information, so hopefully they will do the same for you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome! Lots of support and help here. You've come to the right place! :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi, John. Carbohydrates are the main thing that raises blood glucose (bg). If you haven't seen a dietitian yet, your doctor will probably send you to one. Most of us find that dietitians advise us to eat too many carbs, making it impossible to control our bg. Since we are all different, each of us must determine through testing how many carbs we are able to eat in one sitting and per day, plus which foods spike our bg and which don't. We call that eating to your meter.

Have you been testing? Because I am pre-diabetic my doc didn't prescribe a meter and strips for me, so I purchased an inexpensive ReliOn meter and strips from Walmart.

The main problem I had when starting out was gathering information on what I should and shouldn't eat. But here is a website that gives you all that info. in a nutshell. But none of it is written in stone. For example, the site says you can eat tomatoes, but some diabetics can't because their bg spikes. And the site says not to eat root veggies, but some of us can eat some onion or carrot and not spike. Once again, it all comes down to testing.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome John to DF. I second the BS 101 site. It is fantastic. The one thing to remember about Diabetes is that it is manageable with a few tweaks in your lifestyle. We have a lot of success stories on DF.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts