The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I finally figured out the forum does not cooperate with my AOL browser, I hope it updates soon!
I am a Type 2 who is sensitive or allergic to just about EVERY diabetes medicine. Prandin served me well for many years, but isn't now. I take Levemir at night and have good #'s in the morning but when I take the Levemir in the morning, about 2 hours later it knocks me out and I can't do anything all day. I'm afraid to take it tomorrow morning because I have to drive somewhere. I've gone from 12 to 10 and now I'm going to try 7 to see if it will affect my blood sugars but yet allow me to do what I need to do during the day. Both my mom and dad are sick and I have a lot to do. I can't be being all cotton-headed and not able to keep my eyes open. I can't get into a diabetes doctor until 1-20, I meet with a nurse next week 1-13. I'm scared of these medicines. The next step would be the Huma-whatever or the Novolog. I'm scared of those too.
I'm a little person, 4 foot 6 and am not certain how that plays into playing with the medicine. Well, I better go to bed. Good night.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do eat cereal for breakfast with some Activia yogurt, some fruit. What do you eat for breakfast. I have been trying to stick with a VEGAN diet since a year ago September.
Yup, tried almost ALL Type 2 diabetes meds: Metevil=violent reaction; byetta=stopped my whole system; Lantus=pain all over and have a document on my harddrive "No More Lantus;" Actos=tried but it didn't make it probably due to severe myalgia; Januvia=severe myalgia, strange dreams. I'm very very very sensitive. I am now having weird dreams with the Levemir. The only thing with minimum side effects is Prandin, which is now not working for me.
I

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you modifying your diet to limit fast-acting carbs? How do you maintain lower blood sugars when so many diabetes meds aren't working for you?
I have been Type 2 for about 10 years. Diet and exercise served me well for a long time. I eat only wheat, only brown rice, fruits and vegetables. I did the Diabetes Vegan Program from Arizona, and it's a fantastic program. I have a lot of stress in my life since last February when my aunt had a stroke and then she died in June and then we all got a virus @ the nursing home and my mom has been sick ever since. My dad just got out of the hospital after having a traditional gall bladder surgery and he was in the hospital for 12 days. I'm unemployed.

I truly believe in the Vegan program I am on but a nutritionist @ Mayo Clinic said because I had kidney stones I shouldn't eat soy which is almost the whole program -- or the part of the program for "variety" and foods that are more like regular diets.

I don't eat beef any more and I don't really miss it. I haven't had bacon in forever. Today I am major hungry and unfortunately conceded a little, but I still biked for 1/2 hour, walked for 20 minutes and did stretches, drank my milk, drank my water.

I suppose I need to fill out my vitals part. My last A1C was 8.2. With Levemir I have morning numbers between 87 and 110. I HATE BEING A NUMBER -- I AM A WRITER, NOT A SCIENTIST. There, it's out there.

So I work @ the food part, I'm sure there's more I can learn, but I just don't do white potatoes, or rice, or pasta or bread and I haven't for a long time. I understand exchanges and all that but this Vegan program has all the recipes, all the menus and you just follow. The first time I did fantastic but I think the stress every day is really making things hard and there's not much more I can do about it. I don't like the medicine, that's why I went Vegan and I do have to crack open the book and get some more recipes under my belt and maybe buy some more soy products again.

Wednesday, I took 7 units of levemir before bed on Tuesday night and tonight. And I took 7 units @ 9:30am to see if I could make it through the day. I did. Many appointments. Tomorrow I'll have to do the scientific part.

But I hate waiting so long to see the doctor, so I'm doing my own laboratory experiments. I don't think they know much more than me, sometimes I think they just push what the pharmaceutical sales people say are the latest and greatest. I've asked: what do you do for people who are sensitive? What do you recommend? And then they give me something sulfa based when I told them on my sheet that I'm allergic to sulfa!

I have been to Mayo Clinic and I think he's the most knowledgable, but with my dad sick I don't think I'll be able to go down there. I've called him several times but he wonders if something else is wrong with my body -- but all my blood tests and etc. come back normal, so the main thing "wrong" I think is the stress.

I think I've lost weight though -- which is good -- even though I feel like crap almost every day.

I better go to bed. On my Vegan program they say to be of utmost health to go to bed by 10:00pm and get up EARLY. Ugh. I've ignored that part.

Good night.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.