The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I disappeared rather abruptly, I think I owe you some explanation . . . :D

Friday night I began noticing a "blob" in the lower right quadrant of my left eye field of vision. I presented in the emergency eye clinic Monday morning and was diagnosed with several tears & a retinal detachment, and ordered to stay away from reading and off the computer. Went into surgery Tuesday noon to have it fixed with cryotherapy and a scleral buckle, and then today (Wednesday) at my followup visit with the retinologist, I got the gas bubble to boot, since the detachment was acting like it didn't wanna stay reattached. Trip to the clinic is four hours round trip, so haven't had much time left over.

And take it from me, cataract surgery is small potatoes compared with this . . . I look like I went a coupla rounds with Joe Palooka . . . :eek:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Shanny, so relieved to hear you are OK after going through your experience. So...you have a 'shiner' do you? Please take care and will be saying prayers for you. (((Hugs)))

·
Registered
298 Posts
Glad to hear you are okay...prayers for a speedy recovery

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hope you're back to your chipper self soon. Mother had the same surgery and WAS NOT a happy camper....I think the thing that got her was the keeping her face parallel to the floor for 7 days. Of coarse I probably wouldn't enjoy sleeping on my face either....Feel better soon!!! :sick:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Jeesh Shanny, sorry to hear what you're going through. Hope you "bounce" back quickly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Take care of yourself.I wish you well.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

i am sorry to hear all this! i figured you were taking some time off from us because your son was in town. sad that i was wrong :(

its been quiet around these parts without you, Breezy and Pam around much

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I have quite a "shiner" and a lot of swelling, but if that's what it takes to preserve the vision, so be it, right?!

It's possible that there's a weak link to diabetes, but I've had no diabetic retinopathy heretofore, and the docs keep saying the three main risk factors for retinal detachment are these:
1) many birthdays (I've had 65 of them! :rolleyes:)
2) near-sightedness (I was severely myopic for 60 years)
3) cataract surgery is a risk factor too . . . darn it anyhow! But it corrected the myopia, and I wouldn't change a thing. Cataract surgery changed my life!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
**hugs** hang in there girlie

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well I guess I am glad it was an identified risk .... and not D. :confused:

Hope the swelling and bruising is improving rapidly, though! :D

Yep, I have quite a "shiner" and a lot of swelling, but if that's what it takes to preserve the vision, so be it, right?!

It's possible that there's a weak link to diabetes, but I've had no diabetic retinopathy heretofore, and the docs keep saying the three main risk factors for retinal detachment are these:
3) cataract surgery is a risk factor too . . . darn it anyhow! But it corrected the myopia, and I wouldn't change a thing. Cataract surgery changed my life!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The doc saw me again today for the fourth time this week, and he was finally happy with what he saw. The detachment is lying flat right where it's supposed to be. He'll let me alone now for 2½ weeks, but I have to check in again Dec. 7. :rolleyes:

Whew!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Since I disappeared rather abruptly, I think I owe you some explanation . . . :D

Friday night I began noticing a "blob" in the lower right quadrant of my left eye field of vision. I presented in the emergency eye clinic Monday morning and was diagnosed with several tears & a retinal detachment, and ordered to stay away from reading and off the computer. Went into surgery Tuesday noon to have it fixed with cryotherapy and a scleral buckle, and then today (Wednesday) at my followup visit with the retinologist, I got the gas bubble to boot, since the detachment was acting like it didn't wanna stay reattached. Trip to the clinic is four hours round trip, so haven't had much time left over.

And take it from me, cataract surgery is small potatoes compared with this . . . I look like I went a coupla rounds with Joe Palooka . . . :eek:
So glad that everything is OK! My right arm is bruised in 8 places, all from nurses looking for places to put an IV...Ouch

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wow Shanny! What an adventure. Glad to have you back in the swing of things....take care of yourself. We need you!!!

Jen

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Y'know the amazing part? We're all so accustomed to our docs not knowing squat about diabetes, that our expections of all docs in all areas begins to suffer. But I gotta tell ya, at least at Mizzou, these eye docs know their stuff and they don't give up! I guess it helps to have all eye specialties represented, which smaller clinics may not be able to muster, but my goodness - what effort they expend! And any time you're at a teaching hospital, there's always the extra hands to help out.

I still have to say that I look like the devil (or at least a one-eyed pirate!), and I can't see worth a hoot yet, but I've had some really intense medical care this week. These people take my vision as seriously as I do! :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Y'know the amazing part? We're all so accustomed to our docs not knowing squat about diabetes, that our expections of all docs in all areas begins to suffer. But I gotta tell ya, at least at Mizzou, these eye docs know their stuff and they don't give up! I guess it helps to have all eye specialties represented, which smaller clinics may not be able to muster, but my goodness - what effort they expend! And any time you're at a teaching hospital, there's always the extra hands to help out.

I still have to say that I look like the devil (or at least a one-eyed pirate!), and I can't see worth a hoot yet, but I've had some really intense medical care this week. These people take my vision as seriously as I do! :D
Did the doctor say how long that your sight would be impaired?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It will take about a month for the gas bubble to absorb, but the corneal cloudiness should clear before that.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

good luck shanny. i will be thinking of you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts