The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bounce:

I was hoping that some of you wouldn't mind telling me how much Novolog you take with each meal, as well as, how much Lantus, or, similar long lasting insulin you take each day ???

It seems that I am needing to increase my dosages every few weeks, yet, my diet and exercise have not changed. This is confusing to me, being rather new on Novolog. As for the Lantus, A year and 5 months ago, I was only taking 10 units of Lantus a night. Now it's 55 units.

Does this ever stabilize ??? Or, will I have to infinitely add to my units all the time ???
Thanks for your answers. It will assist me in calming down my anxiety.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Dont matter what I take. what matters is what you need. If you need more over time, you need more over time.

Probably insulin resistance. I ain't an MD so you might want to check with one.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
D-86 is right, Paul . . . I didn't post at first because I don't use insulin yet, so I stay out of the insulin discussions, but there's no point in comparing what you take with what others take because one has no bearing on the other. What your body needs is what it needs. By cutting the carbs in your diet, you can prob'ly reduce the amount of insulin you require, but these are choices that are yours alone.

Here is a link to Dr. Bernstein's law of small numbers - it may help you make the connection between the amount of insulin you need and the other components of your diabetic regimen.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Its all goin to depend on what *your* insulin to carb ratio is. Everyone is different. I am at a 1:4 ratio with a correction sensitivity of 1:10. But everyone is going to be different. Even one person's need can vary throughout the day. The honest answer is...you need whatever it is that your body needs to maintain your blood sugars at a normal level.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I adjust my insulin as much as necessary. What works one day, may not work on another day. How much you need will depend on your body. Right now, I am taking 80 units of Lantus every evening. In 2 months, if I need more, I will take more. I am having a hard time finding the right dose of Lantus. My total daily dose of insulin changes everyday and finding the right basal dose has alot to do with the TDD. I take Novolog after meals because of gastroparesis and my am insulin to carb ratio is 1:4 and my pm carb ratio is 1:5. My doctor has told me that he has several patients who take more than 200 units of insulin everyday. I would not worry about the amount that you need to take. Cut your carbs down as much as possible, the less carbs, the less insulin. I know that by reading your posts on here that you have severe neuropathy in your feet and you probably are not able to exercise alot. I need to get in more exercise and I am working on this. Do the best you can and try and not to let anxiety get the best of you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts