The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am 37 with diabetic grandparents on one side and a diabetic uncle. Was diagnosed recently with DM2 but am not entirely convinced.

A random blood sugar test in January showed 90 mg/dl. Went to a urologist on 2 Sep with a suspected urinary tract infection and was asked to get another random sugar test.

That showed 258, on 4 Sep. I'd been on antidepressants for over a month then. I found on the net that at least one of them (Quetapine) often caused increased blood sugar levels.

On 7 Sep, I was started on gatifloxacin (an antibiotic), another drug that can increase blood sugar, as per various articles on the net. On 8 Sep, I stopped the antidepressants.

I then had a fasting blood sugar test on 10 Sep which showed 111 (in the prediabetic range).

I completed the antibiotic course on 14th and had a post-prandial blood sugar test on 18th, which showed 217 (10 and 4 days after going off the antidepressants and the antibiotics respectively). My glycated haemogloin/A1C on 18th was 6.6.

I could be diabetic; in addition to the family history I have exercised only occasionally in the last 4 years, am a couple of kg overweight (85 kg at 6 ft), have a fair bit of flab around my waist and have not been too careful about what I eat. I have had no symptoms like frequent urination/increased appetite or thirst (I know symptoms may be absent initially).

But is it possible that the high sugar levels are due to the infection, the antidepressants and the antibiotic? The doctor didn't seem to think too much of the idea but wasn't very confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi. I am 37 with diabetic grandparents on one side and a diabetic uncle. Was diagnosed recently with DM2 but am not entirely convinced.

A random blood sugar test in January showed 90 mg/dl. Went to a urologist on 2 Sep with a suspected urinary tract infection and was asked to get another random sugar test.

That showed 258, on 4 Sep. I'd been on antidepressants for over a month then. I found on the net that at least one of them (Quetapine) often caused increased blood sugar levels.

On 7 Sep, I was started on gatifloxacin (an antibiotic), another drug that can increase blood sugar, as per various articles on the net. On 8 Sep, I stopped the antidepressants.

I then had a fasting blood sugar test on 10 Sep which showed 111 (in the prediabetic range).

I completed the antibiotic course on 14th and had a post-prandial blood sugar test on 18th, which showed 217 (10 and 4 days after going off the antidepressants and the antibiotics respectively). My glycated haemogloin/A1C on 18th was 6.6.

I could be diabetic; in addition to the family history I have exercised only occasionally in the last 4 years, am a couple of kg overweight (85 kg at 6 ft), have a fair bit of flab around my waist and have not been too careful about what I eat. I have had no symptoms like frequent urination/increased appetite or thirst (I know symptoms may be absent initially).

But is it possible that the high sugar levels are due to the infection, the antidepressants and the antibiotic? The doctor didn't seem to think too much of the idea but wasn't very confidence inspiring.
Hello and welcome to the forum! I am glad that you dropped by! The medications could have made your blood glucose go high. What I would do is get another A1C in 3 months and see what it is. If you are still high, then perhaps the diabetes diagnosis is correct. I know that waiting 3 months will seem like a lifetime, but if your are off of those medications, then you should see a more normal A1C. In the mean time, get yourself a glucose meter and start testing. This should give you some idea of how your body responds to carbs. I strongly suggest that you test when you get up in the morning and before you eat and then at 2 hour and 4 hour post meal. Keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree with breeze. (Returning the favor ;) ) If you are testing at diabetic ranges more often than not you should accept the diagnosis and make the correct changes to your lifestyle. It is important for now that you work on a low carb diet and seeing how your body reacts.
Welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, Breezeonby and Joshua.

Though I am hoping it will turn out ok, I have started preparing myself, so to speak. 30 to 40 minutes exercise every day and cutting down heavily on carbs. Read somewhere that weight loss of 5-7% can be of benefit and that's what I am aiming for.

·
Registered
204 Posts
..............Though I am hoping it will turn out ok, I have started preparing myself, so to speak. 30 to 40 minutes exercise every day and cutting down heavily on carbs. Read somewhere that weight loss of 5-7% can be of benefit and that's what I am aiming for.....................
Hi Diabb,

In my experience, the main thing to do is to cut back on the starchy carbohydrate - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pizza, pasta, rice etc. That usually gives a big improvement in blood glucose levels - and quickly too.

Good luck - John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
....In my experience, the main thing to do is to cut back on the starchy carbohydrate - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pizza, pasta, rice etc. That usually gives a big improvement in blood glucose levels - and quickly too.

Good luck - John
Thanks John. Have cut back heavily on those. Will get myself tested again soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a post-prandial test done today.

The sample was taken 1 hour 35 mins after lunch (most hospitals specify a period of one and a half hours after a meal). Lunch was a bowl of boiled vegetables (carrots, beans and peas), a bowl of boiled garbanzo beans and a bowl of yoghurt.

The reading was 141.

What do you guys think? Am wondering if this is prediabetes because I read somewhere that I should have come down to 140 an hour after the meal.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi, diabb . . . welcome to DF!
I think you have cause to be concerned . . . you're in the preliminary stages, but your numbers are running kinda high. The carrots, peas, beans & garbanzos are still a little carby for some diabetes patients. It's good that you're already cutting back on carbs, and I think your next move might be to get your own meter so you can test throughout the day & get a feel for exactly what your blood sugar is doing on a regular basis.

Thank you for joining us . . . it's good to have you here!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Got a post-prandial test done today.

The sample was taken 1 hour 35 mins after lunch (most hospitals specify a period of one and a half hours after a meal). Lunch was a bowl of boiled vegetables (carrots, beans and peas), a bowl of boiled garbanzo beans and a bowl of yoghurt.

The reading was 141.

What do you guys think? Am wondering if this is prediabetes because I read somewhere that I should have come down to 140 an hour after the meal.
Hard to tell without knowing what your blood sugar was before you ate that meal. If it was 110 and was still over 140...then yes...I would be concerned......if it was 180 and was down to 141 1 1/2 later....I wouldn't be as concerned.

There is definitely a problem though...a non-diabetic would have been back around 100 by then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your replies, Shanny and Onaughmae.

If it was 110 and was still over 140...then yes...I would be concerned......if it was 180 and was down to 141 1 1/2 later....I wouldn't be as concerned. ........
Onaughmae, I haven't understood the above. Would you explain please? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks for your replies, Shanny and Onaughmae.

Onaughmae, I haven't understood the above. Would you explain please? Thanks.
When you a meal, your blood sugar should return to what it was before you ate or lower by 2 hours.

For instance, let pretend that I am not diabetic....I check my blood sugar before I eat and it is 90. I eat my meal, then I check my blood sugar again 2 hours later and it is 87. That is a normal body response.

Now...lets suppose I check my blood sugar before eating and it is 110. 2 hours after I eat it is 150. That is not normal. My body is not covering the meal I ate adequately. I had too many carbohydrates for my body to handle.

Ok...suppose I check my blood sugar before I eat. It is 180,
2 hours later...it is 136. Now obviously I have blood sugar issues because I was so high before I ate....but my body was able to metabolize the meal I had eaten well. So this way I would know I had made good food choices.

Does that make a little more sense?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went out and got a fasting test done yesterday morning, about 10 3/4 hours after dinner the previous night. The result was 95.

Tonight I borrowed my father-in-law's meter, got a new box of strips and tested myself two hours after dinner. Dinner was 1 roti (similar to a chapati but thicker), a few pieces of sheek kabab (minced goat meat, grilled with a coating of oil), a little grilled fish and a bit of salad (raw onion, cabbage). Preceded by a small bottle (330 ml) of beer. The result was 101.

I am wondering how good this news is. For the last two weeks, I have exercised every day for 30-40 minutes, cut out sugar completely and have cut down on my food intake, especally carbs and estimate that I have lost between one and two kilos so far. Could this have got results so fast? The beer and meat and fish probably contributed tonight but even then, 101 seems a good figure for 2 hours after a meal (counting from the end of the meal). I couldn't believe it and have been wondering if perhaps there was something wrong with the meter or the strips.

I have been sick with tension ever since those high readings a month ago and would consider myself lucky even if I were to get away with prediabetes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The only thing that wasn't diabetes-friendly was the roti - bread is almost total carbohydrate - and the alcohol in the beer prob'ly served to drop your numbers a bit, even though the beer has carbs too. But I'd say the meter & strips worked perfectly well. In timing the testing, you could count from the first bite, though - instead of the end of the meal.

You about ready to get your own meter? :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...You about ready to get your own meter? :D
Yes I am, soon.:)

But the results seem good, don't they, considering I am not taking any medication at all and am depending on diet and exercise? My fasting of 95 yesterday morning was after a moderately carby meal.

(Glad I found this forum - while I have a few diabetic friends/acquaintances, they don't analyse their condition or test themselves too much - they just do as the doc says and swallow their pills, so can't really talk too much to them about what could be happening with me.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts