The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Anthony here, just call me Twan.

I recently went to the doctor to get my sleep apnea checked out (self diagnosed, but I wanted to get an appointment to a sleep clinic to get a CPAP machine and all that), but the doctor diagnosed me with type 2. Well, Let me rephrase that. I went in one day, gave blood and urine samples, and didn't get the results until the next day. One of the Dr's nurses called me and told me what was going on, but between not giving me full details and my cell phone breaking up, I don't know if I'm type 2 or pre. Either way I've got a bayer contour meter, and taking metformin.

Anyway, I found this place looking for info as to why my microlet lancets are different colors, and figured its a good place to stick around and learn other stuff as well.

One thing I have a question about; this flimsy case that came with my kit has got to go! I want something that is a little bigger, and more sturdy.

Another thing, do any of you folks use e-cigarettes? I've looked for diabetics on the e-cig forums, and they are out there. So I was wondering how it was accepted over here.. It may not be the best thing in the world, but its better than smoking real cigarettes the way I see it.

Well folks, I think that's about all I've got for now. I think I'm about to head over and look at the food section.. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi Twan - I'm glad you found us.

I also have the Bayer Contour and the little case works fine for me - I don't know a thing about the colored lancets though.. mine are all cream colored. I don't use the Bayer lancing device, I prefer the one that came with my Walmart Relion cheapie.

I have been vaping (using E-cigarettes) for almost 2 years along with my husband - we had each smoked over 30 years before switching. You're right, being addicted to nicotine in any form is not perfect but it beats being hooked on nicotine plus 4,000 other chemicals - no question. It won't be an issue here.. folks here are very supportive and are all about sharing diabetes survival skills. We only get judgemental about people scamming diabetics with false cures or outrageously bad advice (like the ADA).

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Twan. Ask all the questions you want - somebody around here is bound to have the answers you seek - I can't help you with the lancet thing OR the Bayer case, but someone else will.

I'm glad you found us . . . thanks for joining us!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: Twan!

I've got the Bayer Contour with it's multi-coloured lancets too. there is no difference in lancet, except the colour itself.

I also have sleep apnea, though it's much better than it was now that I've lost a great deal of weight. I still use my CPAP every night though, regardless.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I have different colored lancets and they work just fine in my Bayer lancer. As far as smoking, I quit a couple of years ago and now am addicted to Nicorette gum, but I've lately read that is not thought of as badly as it used to be. It's gotta be better than the cigs. I know nothing about the e cig, sorry.

Glad you found us and hope you stick around and get acquainted. Ask any question you want and someone here will have at least an opinion at least!

Welcome,

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tony

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Hey everyone, Anthony here, just call me Twan.

I recently went to the doctor to get my sleep apnea checked out (self diagnosed, but I wanted to get an appointment to a sleep clinic to get a CPAP machine and all that), but the doctor diagnosed me with type 2. Well, Let me rephrase that. I went in one day, gave blood and urine samples, and didn't get the results until the next day. One of the Dr's nurses called me and told me what was going on, but between not giving me full details and my cell phone breaking up, I don't know if I'm type 2 or pre. Either way I've got a bayer contour meter, and taking metformin.

Anyway, I found this place looking for info as to why my microlet lancets are different colors, and figured its a good place to stick around and learn other stuff as well.

One thing I have a question about; this flimsy case that came with my kit has got to go! I want something that is a little bigger, and more sturdy.

Another thing, do any of you folks use e-cigarettes? I've looked for diabetics on the e-cig forums, and they are out there. So I was wondering how it was accepted over here.. It may not be the best thing in the world, but its better than smoking real cigarettes the way I see it.

Well folks, I think that's about all I've got for now. I think I'm about to head over and look at the food section.. Thanks everyone!
Welcome, Twan! :welcome:

You've found a great place, full of info and lots of support.

I'm sorta getting interested in e-cigs, and would love to know more.

Do you know what the smoking material is made of?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Another thing, do any of you folks use e-cigarettes?
My uncle tried them and broke out in hives, my neighbor only smokes them on planes or when a in a non-smoking car, and he keeps on doing it even though his lip turns red, so some people are alergic to them. But my nephew has been smoking them about a year with no problem.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The base can be either of two substances or any mixture of both. The first is Propylene Glycol (PG) - used in night club "smoke" machines, medicine for livestock, and has anti-bacterial properties - PG was studied in vapor form for use in reducing bacteria in hospitals - UV was better but vaporized PG was totally safe. The second is Vegetable Glycerin (VG) - used in baked goods (cake mix, etc) and flavorings to maintain moisture - FDA approved. Also sold as a skin softening agent. To that base pure nicotine is added - nicotine is poison in very large doses but does not contribute to heart disease, lung disease, cancer, or any other disease. The amount of nicotine is adjusted so you can increase or decrease your intake. Most e-liquid will also contain flavoring.. from vanilla to cinnamon to tabacco flavor (but no tabacco products), menthol, cheesecake, whatever. While these products are generally considered safe the effect of inhaling them has not been fully researched. The e-liquid is heated until it forms vapor (steam). There is no smoke, and no second-hand smoke. The FDA has issued warnings based on very questionable testing - they heated the liquid to approx 50 times the normal operating temperature and by changing their testing standards to parts per billion instead of their usual parts per million they were able to create a miniscule amount (one part per billion?) of a cancer causing whatever in one of the six samples they tested. The government, FDA, Big Pharma, and Quit Smoking agencies all have a vested interest in shutting E-Cigs down, and they are trying. If you want to learn more you can check it all out at E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: Shalynne

·
Registered
299 Posts
Allergies to Propylene Glycol (PG) are fairly common but allergic reactions to Vegetable Glycerine (VG) are rare. There is a sweetness to VG that could cause a BG reaction however the small amounts used make it unlikely that there would be any measurable effect - I don't have any problem. No sugar is ever added - it would destroy the atomizer that creates the vapor.

Reactions: Shalynne

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
The base can be either of two substances or any mixture of both. The first is Propylene Glycol (PG) - used in night club "smoke" machines, medicine for livestock, and has anti-bacterial properties - PG was studied in vapor form for use in reducing bacteria in hospitals - UV was better but vaporized PG was totally safe. The second is Vegetable Glycerin (VG) - used in baked goods (cake mix, etc) and flavorings to maintain moisture - FDA approved. Also sold as a skin softening agent. To that base pure nicotine is added - nicotine is poison in very large doses but does not contribute to heart disease, lung disease, cancer, or any other disease. The amount of nicotine is adjusted so you can increase or decrease your intake. Most e-liquid will also contain flavoring.. from vanilla to cinnamon to tabacco flavor (but no tabacco products), menthol, cheesecake, whatever. While these products are generally considered safe the effect of inhaling them has not been fully researched. The e-liquid is heated until it forms vapor (steam). There is no smoke, and no second-hand smoke. The FDA has issued warnings based on very questionable testing - they heated the liquid to approx 50 times the normal operating temperature and by changing their testing standards to parts per billion instead of their usual parts per million they were able to create a miniscule amount (one part per billion?) of a cancer causing whatever in one of the six samples they tested. The government, FDA, Big Pharma, and Quit Smoking agencies all have a vested interest in shutting E-Cigs down, and they are trying. If you want to learn more you can check it all out at E-Cigarette Forum
Wow ... great info, Vicky!

The bit about shut-down attempts piques my interest even more. :evil:

Will try to find a VG model.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There's a pretty steep learning curve much like diabetes is at first ... lots of models, lots of suppliers, lots of new jargon and acronyms so do some reading at the forum - it's a great support group. Good Luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Twan...welcome for the forum. Hope you find lots of support here.

G

·
welcome Twan :) glad you've found this forum and I'm sure you've lots to learn about your new diagnosis. This is a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Twan - welcome to the forum.

I've two meters and both mfg cases are soft and a little padded, but I like them because they're light, flexible, and protective. Are you looking for a hard case, or ...?

Interesting about the e-cigarettes - had not heard of them. I was insanely and undeservedly lucky that when I quit smoking after almost 20 years I didn't go through withdrawals or have any problems. Seeing what so many of my friends went through gave me great respect for how tough the road to not smoking usually is.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts