The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just been diagnosed with Diabetes based on my last blood tests. My A1c was 6.7%

For about 3 years I've been having symptoms of high blood sugar but whenever it has been tested it has been only very slightly into the pre-diabetic range.

A few weeks ago was the first time my A1c was that high. According to the blood test lab, it is still pre-diabetes but my doctor said I have diabetes and she sent me off with a prescription for Metformin. I told her that maybe I could try diet first (I am very very overweight and love sweets, eat big meals). She said that I should take the pills and then if I want to diet, sure great. :(

Anyway, I have tried for a week to change how I eat and I saw my blood sugar levels go down to 5.0 when fasting, and about 6.8 after meals. Then I ruined my diet and ruined a whole new week and suddenly my blood sugar has been higher than ever. This week, I am back on my carb restricted and calorie reduced diet. I am hoping it will help. If not, then I will have to take the Metformin.

I'm kind of freaked out about having diabetes and lately (because of a bad week last week), I am feeling light-headed. Then I check my sugar and it's high. :(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you've been a big eater and have trouble scaling back, the metformin might help in another way since it often suppresses appetite - it does for me anyhow. Apart from gastric distress in the beginning (and the doc can help with that by prescribing the extended release metformin), it doesn't present any other dangers to us like a lot of other diabetes meds do. So if you find yourself struggling, go ahead and try the met. Sounds like your doc is a sensible sort - hope she's willing to work with you all the way around.

And if you're using a low-carb/high-fat food plan, you shouldn't have to think about weight loss . . . it normally melts away as we go about controlling our blood sugar. Low-carb alone can be hard to maintain . . . we need the high fats as a source of energy which doesn't spike our blood sugar.

And hey! Thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I actually responded to you in another thread, but now here's a belated ...

Welcome to the Forum, Diabetes40! :welcome:

You're actually doing very well, this soon after diagnosis! I must also warn you that, as your diet changes and your numbers come down, your body will adjust to the changes, too ... and this can feel most weird for a time. We can help you through that, too.

Please read a lot, post a lot and ask lots of questions. You'll find lots of info, support and the best kind of nosiness here.

Most of all, please keep us posted!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

I don't know whether you've been given these links in another thread or not, but I'll post them again here just in case. These are places we usually send new members to learn as much as they can about managing their diabetes and about the low carb/high fat way of eating.

Glad you joined us and good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
:wave: Welcome.

You've done a good job getting your BG down. Don't be too upset if you go "off the wagon" now and then as you get used to this new way of eating. And those dizzy, shaky feelings are common at first when BG is coming down - the body is so used to the higher levels it freaks out when they're lower - but it'll get used to it in a short time.

Stick around and let us know how you're doing.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hello and Welcome.

You and I share a similar diabetes onset history although when I wad diagnosed my A1c was 8. I too was reluctant to take Metformin and my GP agreed that I could try to get my numbers down by diet.

By following the lc/hf diet I was able to achieve an A1c of 5.3 in a little over three months and by six months it was 4.9 and I had lost over 20 kilos.

So, no Metformin for me - you may be different and require it to gain control so don't be afraid of taking it, as Shanny says it is not dangerous and will not harm you.

It takes a lot of perseverance to get your D under control. You need to read everything you can, grammaB has referenced some great articles above. You need to change your mindset about food - do not live to eat, eat to live! 'Our bodies are our gardens, for which our wills are gardeners.' (Shakespeare) Nourish and respect your body by providing it with the food that will control your diabetes.

Use the forum regularly - ask questions, share your ups and downs, we've all been there, no one will judge you, we are here to support and encourage you.

Very best wishes for your journey.

Freya

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
That's a big reason the rest of us are here too, D40 . . . even when family/friends want to be supportive, it's hard for them to really understand what we go through every day of our lives trying to keep this diabetes beast subdued.
And some, unfortunately, don't want to be supportive. They would most likely accuse the diabetic of bringing this on themselves, especially if they are over weight.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi. When first diagnosed, to me low carb/high fat meant a piece of meat and salad or veggie for every meal,. That type of 'diet' would be impossible for me to stick with longer then a couple of days. Then someone directed me to the recipe section here at the forum, and I found out that it's unbelievable how well these folks eat. Nothing about it feels like a diet. It feels more like cheating, but it isn't. So be sure to check it out, it will make your life a whole lot easier.

I see from a previous post that you are having tingling in the hands. I had a problem with that when I woke in the morning. After a little Google-research I learned that if I keep my arms straight at night... don't bend the elbows... that solved the problem. Some people who are active in their sleep wrap a towel around their elbows so they can't bend them. I'm not sure weather or not waking up with numb fingers/hands is a symptom of diabetes, all I know is the elbow thing works for me.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
881 Posts
That's a big reason the rest of us are here too, D40 . . . even when family/friends want to be supportive, it's hard for them to really understand what we go through every day of our lives trying to keep this diabetes beast subdued.
If ever there was a quote to sum up the fight against diabetes for a diabetic, this is the one. Nicely put.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi, I have just been diagnosed with Diabetes based on my last blood tests. My A1c was 6.7%

For about 3 years I've been having symptoms of high blood sugar but whenever it has been tested it has been only very slightly into the pre-diabetic range.

A few weeks ago was the first time my A1c was that high. According to the blood test lab, it is still pre-diabetes but my doctor said I have diabetes and she sent me off with a prescription for Metformin. I told her that maybe I could try diet first (I am very very overweight and love sweets, eat big meals). She said that I should take the pills and then if I want to diet, sure great. :(

Anyway, I have tried for a week to change how I eat and I saw my blood sugar levels go down to 5.0 when fasting, and about 6.8 after meals. Then I ruined my diet and ruined a whole new week and suddenly my blood sugar has been higher than ever. This week, I am back on my carb restricted and calorie reduced diet. I am hoping it will help. If not, then I will have to take the Metformin.

I'm kind of freaked out about having diabetes and lately (because of a bad week last week), I am feeling light-headed. Then I check my sugar and it's high. :(
I am new to the forum as well and have some of the same struggles that you dol I did decide to go on the Metformin, but my A1c was quite a bit higher than yours. Don't be afraid to go on the metformin. When you lose the weight you want and get your numbers down you can always go off of it. From what I have read, this medication has a lot of protective qualities and I think that I will choose to stay on it always. It did help we lose the weight as well.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am new to the forum as well and have some of the same struggles that you dol I did decide to go on the Metformin, but my A1c was quite a bit higher than yours. Don't be afraid to go on the metformin. When you lose the weight you want and get your numbers down you can always go off of it. From what I have read, this medication has a lot of protective qualities and I think that I will choose to stay on it always. It did help we lose the weight as well.
Welcome to the Forum, Horseygramma!

Do us a favor and start your own thread on Introduce Yourself and fill it with stuff about you! Things like what your blood sugar history has been like, what your diet is like, etc. With your personal information we can provide comments that may help you with improvements to your health!

Welcome! :welcome:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome to the forum, LCHF is a great way of life,not just a diet. I have lost over 40 lbs. in just 5 months. A coworker made a comment recently about being to eat normal again...I told her this is normal,and you should try it.
She said ,but you eat the same things all the time! I came back with ..mcdonalds,Wendy's ,Burger King,Hardees...sounds like you have the same issue.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Welcome to the forum, LCHF is a great way of life,not just a diet. I have lost over 40 lbs. in just 5 months. A coworker made a comment recently about being to eat normal again...I told her this is normal,and you should try it. She said ,but you eat the same things all the time! I came back with ..mcdonalds,Wendy's ,Burger King,Hardees...sounds like you have the same issue.
LOL!!! Nice one. :)

Welcome, D40. This place saved my life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't be afraid to go on the metformin. When you lose the weight you want and get your numbers down you can always go off of it. From what I have read, this medication has a lot of protective qualities and I think that I will choose to stay on it always. It did help we lose the weight as well.
Thanks so much for your advice... I am thinking of taking it so that it can help me lose weight too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts