The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I've been checking out all the forums for hours. There's tons of great info here.

I was just diagnosed Type II last week. The Doctor said to not make any big changes yet and she would like me to lose 4 pounds a month. I'm a little scared, because I had to ask her to prescribe a glucometer and test strips for me. I figure she would have been the one to tell me to get them. So I guess it's my life and it's up to me to find all the info I can on my own. Glad I found this place. Look forward to the wisdom you guys are sharing.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome Lyz - glad you've had a chance to poke around.

How did your doc make the diagnosis - what was your blood sugar?

Interesting that she said not to make any changes. Personally, I'd be disobeying that and trying to bring my blood sugar down. Wonder what she was thinking? Maybe that she didn't think you needed meds yet?

Certainly the greatest bang for one's effort buck is to reduce carbs, even more than losing weight which is of course important.

Good for you to be on top of the testing, and I agree it's shameful when our docs don't emphasize the importance of it, or in your case even suggest it!

Glad you're here.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Lyz said:
Hello everybody. I've been checking out all the forums for hours. There's tons of great info here.

I was just diagnosed Type II last week. The Doctor said to not make any big changes yet and she would like me to lose 4 pounds a month. I'm a little scared, because I had to ask her to prescribe a glucometer and test strips for me. I figure she would have been the one to tell me to get them. So I guess it's my life and it's up to me to find all the info I can on my own. Glad I found this place. Look forward to the wisdom you guys are sharing.
Welcome Lyz. Like you I just got the word in the new year A real shocker. If your like me and stop all sugar intake and keep it to just good carbs and exercise 4 pounds won't be hard. I have been trying to stop my weight loss without much success gone from 185 to 169 pounds this morning and looking a bit skinning for being 6'1".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome Lyz. Like you I just got the word in the new year A real shocker. If your like me and stop all sugar intake and keep it to just good carbs and exercise 4 pounds won't be hard. I have been trying to stop my weight loss without much success gone from 185 to 169 pounds this morning and looking a bit skinning for being 6'1".
Thank you. How long have you been trying to stop?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Lyz

I'm a New Year Newbie diagnosis as well....

You're a very clever cookie to already work out that these people on the forum are the ones to listen to.....they live with diabetes day in, day out.....

As soon as you get your meter......start eating to your meter...see what food spikes you and keep away from it :) I, like so many others have found low carb to be a wonderful way to actually eat...without resorting to cardboard!

Very happy to meet you!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome aboard. You can do it. Once you break your addiction to carbohydrates, eating will become a thing of the past

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Lyz, welcome to the forum. The only thing I would disagree with your doctor on is not changing anything, right now. Once your fastings go above 126 you are diabetic. That means that your body has a difficult time metabolising and using carbs. So if you are eating a normal amount of carbs it may be too much. What a lot of us do is "Eat to our Meter". That means we take a bg reading 2 hours after we eat. The lower the bg the better. Diabetics are asked to go no higher than 120-140. Some of us choose to stay lower than that. The more carbs you eat the more glycogen you store, and the more liver dumps you will get which raise bg way too much. Check out Blood Sugar 101
It is a great introduction to diabetes and what you are dealing with. Many doctors treat diabetes in the early stages as no big deal. But without action it can progress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, Lyz. I am recently diagnosed, as well, and my doctor acted like it was no big deal. My fasting number was 136. I had to ask for a glucometer, and test strips as well, and she only prescribed 100 for 3 months. I am almost through those, but am paying for more on my own. My doctor just said not to eat white foods, an okay start, but not enough.
Good luck. Diabetes sucks, but at least if caught early, can be controlled. My mantra has become "I want to keep my feet!" (Just shows my macabre sense of humor. Hope I didn't offend)

·
Registered
609 Posts

Hi Lyz,

I was dx'd two months ago and my doc did the same. I had to find this forum to even know I should have a meter and strips - I'd never even heard of them before. It will be easy to lose more than those 4 pounds a month - I have so far lost 16 pounds since April 1st and I did it by doing the opposite of what both of our doctors said - I made the drastic change immediately throwing out everything in my kitchen I wouldn't be allowed to have as a diabetic. I limited my carbs to no more than 25 a day, sometimes even less as I have found that eating very low carb fills me up and I'm not hungry. I eat two meals a day plus a lunch of no-carb snacks (deviled eggs, celery/cream cheese, etc.) and some low carb sugar-free puddings (homemade). Just keep your carbs low and the weight will come off - you'll need to exercise along with it to see results. It's hard at first after your dx, but it will get easy in time :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi, Lyz. I am recently diagnosed, as well, and my doctor acted like it was no big deal. My fasting number was 136. I had to ask for a glucometer, and test strips as well, and she only prescribed 100 for 3 months. I am almost through those, but am paying for more on my own. My doctor just said not to eat white foods, an okay start, but not enough.
Good luck. Diabetes sucks, but at least if caught early, can be controlled. My mantra has become "I want to keep my feet!" (Just shows my macabre sense of humor. Hope I didn't offend)
Dang, do we all have the SAME doctor???:p

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Lyz . . . good for you taking the initiative & not waiting for your doc to wake up & smell the coffee. There's a ton of knowledge, wisdom & experience at this forum; I hope you gain as much benefit here as I have!

Take care & visit often!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi

I also just recently diagnosed T2. After years of high reading of fasting blood sugar, I finally took HbA1C test, and resulted 9.9. The doctor now put me on Met 500 three times a day, Cinnulin PF+ALA+Cyanocobalamin 2 times a day, and Gliquidone 1 tab after dinner.

It's been almost 2 week now, and the reading still bad ( 2hr after eat, still show 200+ )

I think I need to do some walk for 45 minutes now, since the drugs didnt give impact.

and, maybe after that, I stop eating rice.

Im an Indonesian, and we eat rice almost 3 times a day, to substitute it with another food will be very difficult (or expensive ).

I also took Xenical to help me lose weight, since Im 105kg at the moment. I read that losing 10% of your weight can give significant impact on glucose tolerance.

Since couple of days recently, I noticed I have difficulties to breath during bed time, so I suspected Metformin combined with Xenical after dinner might caused it. I'm gonna try to remove Xenical or Met for a moment, and then try to switch to Met XR.

I know it'll be a challenging new life after the diagnose, and , by reading this forum I really feel that I'm not alone.

Well, nice to say hello to you all!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lyz!

I am new here myself and yes there is lots of great info. I think you'll find docs can indeed minimize our health. Just follow the sage advice and TEST OFTEN. At least till you get a feel for how your body reacts to different foods. In reading some of the recipies here I'm thinking mmmm :)
Anyway good to have you in the forum.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Lyz,

Welcome to the forum. I think its important to first figure out how you BGs behave during the day, and then take immediate action. Lowering crabs dramatically will at least tell you a base-line that you know you can hit in the long run. After that its a longer process of figuring out what foods suit you and what don't (both from a BG point of view and an emotional point of view).

Like everyone else has said, eat to your meter!

I am recently diagnosed too, and by fasting BG in the doctor's office was 126. "No big deal" for me would have meant that if I hadn't bought the meter and strips out of my own pocket I would not have known that my BGs were hovering in the 280+ range!

I am glad you took control. Just hang in there. Do a lot of research and test test test!

Best

S.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.