The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I was diagnosed with Type 2 only a few hours ago, so my journey is just beginning. So far I have filled in the NDSS form at the chemist, got myself a glucometer and done my first test (6.5). Whew!

Being a forum junkie, the first thing I did when I got home was look for a diabetes forum where I can learn more about the disease and how to manage it, so here I am! :)

Now I'm off to read more posts. This is a wonderful resource; thanks so much to the owners and moderators.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi Ann and welcome *waves from Perth* I read your post as "being a former junkie" lol did a double take

This is an awesome place full of informed...warm and generous of spirit people...they have lived through every possible situation you'd need help with so please ask away...

Reactions: nicku
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ann and welcome *waves from Perth* I read your post as "being a former junkie" lol did a double take
LOL indeed!

This is an awesome place full of informed...warm and generous of spirit people...they have lived through every possible situation you'd need help with so please ask away...
Thanks for the offer, d33na. I know I am going to have many, many questions in the days and weeks to come, as I come to terms with the reality of my future.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
A few hours new? You've been busy :) Something tells me you're going to be just fine.

I did the same thing you did, albeit through blurry vision, when I was diagnosed: hopped online to learn what it all meant, and quickly found this great place. The good news is that it's not a grim diagnosis, as it paves the way for those of us who weren't taken exemplary care of ourselves (and didn't even realize it) to make changes and improve our health significantly.

Welcome to the forum. Surely glad you landed here.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine Ann

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi Ann welcome from sunny Qld, glad to have you join us but sorry you had to join our club.

If like me the doc news came out of the blue it is a shock, the first few weeks I was terrified, didn't have a clue what to eat, first time I tested myself I was shaking & crying....

Fast forward a few months & all is good, I am probably healthier than I was for a long time & certainly feeling better.

If you could tell us what meds & diet the doc has put you on we can advise you if/when you need it.

You did well to find this forum, so many wonderful people on here who will be happy to help & support you.

Others will be along to welcome you.

Take care

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Very good to meet you, Ann - you & all the members are the ones who make the forum what it is. Without you it would be a nice tidy but sterile vBulletin format with no "heart", Thank you so much for joining us & helping bring it alive. I hope you gain as much strength and support here as I have - these are awesome folks.

Your future can look just as bright & shiny as it did before - control is the key.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few hours new? You've been busy :) Something tells me you're going to be just fine.
Yeah, I thought I'd better find out as much as I could straight away, especially the tips on what to eat and not eat.

I did the same thing you did, albeit through blurry vision, when I was diagnosed: hopped online to learn what it all meant, and quickly found this great place. The good news is that it's not a grim diagnosis, as it paves the way for those of us who weren't taken exemplary care of ourselves (and didn't even realize it) to make changes and improve our health significantly.
It's pretty scary at first, isn't it? Thank goodness for online information and communities like this to help with the transition to a whole new way of life.

Welcome to the forum. Surely glad you landed here.
Thanks, you are all being very warm and welcoming. It helps a lot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Catherine

The doctor gave me some printed material to read, which I am working my way through. She's sent me for an A1C and told me to come back in a fortnight with my diary.

Unfortunately it's going to be hard to find a cholesterol medication because we've previously had to take me off the two most common - Crestor gave me muscle pain and Lipidil caused kidney failure. So she's thinking about what I can do there.

I do have a question about the A1C. She didn't specify whether or not I need to fast before it. Can you tell me if I need to or not?

Thanks again for the offer of help. I'm sure I'll be taking you up on it. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You won't have to fast for the A1c. Be sure she hasn't included any other tests with it - like a lipids profile. You WOULD have to fast for the lipids panel. But in all honesty, there are several of us actively rejecting cholesterol meds, because the low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating we have adopted lowers our lipids very well without added medications. You could give it some thought anyhow. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very good to meet you, Ann - you & all the members are the ones who make the forum what it is. Without you it would be a nice tidy but sterile vBulletin format with no "heart", Thank you so much for joining us & helping bring it alive. I hope you gain as much strength and support here as I have - these are awesome folks.

Your future can look just as bright & shiny as it did before - control is the key.
Thanks, Shanny

Congratulations on a great forum with heaps of useful information and friendly members. That doesn't just happen I know, so you must be doing some really good work behind the scenes. :0

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You won't have to fast for the A1c. Be sure she hasn't included any other tests with it - like a lipids profile. You WOULD have to fast for the lipids panel. But in all honesty, there are several of us actively rejecting cholesterol meds, because the low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating we have adopted lowers our lipids very well without added medications. You could give it some thought anyhow. :)
It's just the A1C. I heard about a year ago that some diabetics were going to the low carb high fat diet and feeling better on it. I'm going to stick with the instructions I have for the moment, see what happens, and read up more on all options before making a decision. i just don't know enough at the moment to make any major decisions outside what I have been given. :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Ann! So glad you found us. Sorry you needed to find us, tho'. However, I tried several 'homes' and found this to be the best for me. I came home and immediately began reading both on line and books and picked the Atkins diet mixed with info from Dr. R. Bernstein, Dr. Eades and lost 50 lbs. and am now in BMI 22.3%, lipids are nice and low, have a very happy cardiologist and feel well. It's not hard for me, I'm not a huge eater (never have been) and I'm a natural carnivore. I eat until I'm full every day and have found life not that hard once I got my head around the fact that calories don't count ,for me at least, and that I HAD to have fat from healthy sources. That fact took ages to fully sink in, but it's finally gotten into my brain.

Jump in at will and we'll help anyway we can...this is a great group of folks with lots of wisdom.

Good luck and welcome again,

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello everyone

I was diagnosed with Type 2 only a few hours ago, so my journey is just beginning. So far I have filled in the NDSS form at the chemist, got myself a glucometer and done my first test (6.5). Whew!

Being a forum junkie, the first thing I did when I got home was look for a diabetes forum where I can learn more about the disease and how to manage it, so here I am! :)

Now I'm off to read more posts. This is a wonderful resource; thanks so much to the owners and moderators.
Hello Ann,

Sorry you have to be here - but welcome. As the others have said, there's a wealth of information available here and on Blood Sugar 101 where Jenny Ruhl covers the ground on reducing carbs in a language that we can all follow. Her site is well worth an hour or two to browse.

The other trick is to feel completely free to ask any questions that are bothering you. We've all been there and what seems simple now started out looking frighteningly complicated. So please don't think twice - ask away,

Good luck on the A1c.

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, Ann! So glad you found us. Sorry you needed to find us, tho'. However, I tried several 'homes' and found this to be the best for me. I came home and immediately began reading both on line and books and picked the Atkins diet mixed with info from Dr. R. Bernstein, Dr. Eades and lost 50 lbs. and am now in BMI 22.3%, lipids are nice and low, have a very happy cardiologist and feel well. It's not hard for me, I'm not a huge eater (never have been) and I'm a natural carnivore. I eat until I'm full every day and have found life not that hard once I got my head around the fact that calories don't count ,for me at least, and that I HAD to have fat from healthy sources. That fact took ages to fully sink in, but it's finally gotten into my brain.
Thanks, Pat. I'm frantically reading and hope to have a lot more information when I go tack to the doctor in a fortnight with two weeks of test results to check against the A1c. And don't worry, I'll be asking lots of questions. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the welcome and link, John. I'll hop over there as soon as i've finished reading the forum.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts