The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, my name is Martin aka tazman53. I just found out I am a Type2 diabetic, my blood sugar was 328 when they tested it.

They started me off with Byetta 5 micrograms 2X daily along of course with changing what & when I eat.

Long story short, by last Thursday the lowest reading I had was 199, most of the time it was still over 300.

Friday they switched me to insulin using the sliding scale. What a difference! It is still far from under control, but doing better.

Saying one has been watching thier diet closely & taking thier meds properly, how long does it take before things stabilize?

My vision is whacky some times & I also get to where I have a hard time focusing mentally on anything.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Martin/Tazman - good to meet you! You've had quite a ride already in your first days/weeks since diagnosis.

I have no experience with insulin, but what I know from others is that you are going to see fairly quick responses now that you are using it. Since you are also being careful with diet & meds, you should be fine before very long. Good for your doctor moving quickly to get your numbers down. What other meds are you taking?

Thank you for joining us - I hope you come around often and keep us posted on your progress.

take care,

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Martin. What kind(s) of insulin are you using? Insulin takes effect very fast, but dosages need adjustment until things stabilize. You also need to use a carefully prepared diet plan and exercise schedule. I hope a professional is helping you with those details. A diabetes educator would help with all these items.

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shanny & Richard, thanks for the welcome.

Richard I am taking Lispro (rDNA origin) in Humalog KwikPen. I am right now on a sliding scale & I am watching my diet very carefully using books provided by my doctor as well as some other diet books. BTW I am aware there is no true "Diabetes diet, I am watching carbs & sugars..... learning a lot! LOL

I have my first class (one on one) for 2 hours Thursday, then 2 more 1 hour classes to follow that. I have not started an exercise program yet, but will once I take the class, they cover diabetes, diet, & exercise.

I my doctor contacted me yesterday to see how my blood sugars were, I told her & in the conversation discovered either I had misunderstood the nurse or the nurse incorrectly said to me that I should have been taking my Byetta along with the insulin!!! Well I restarted taking the Vyetta last night along with my insulin.

My blood sugar was pretty good last night before dinner when I tested it. It was 166, I have had it down to 128 once, but on average it is getting lower. I will be interested to see what it is this morning taking both Byetta & insulin.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts