The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just found this forum and wanted to spend some more time on it. Our 15 year old son has just been diagnosed (2 months ago) with Type 1 diabetes and we're keen to keep ourselves up to date on what's happening.

Saw the story on Channel 7 a few weeks back - mayor was a bit hypo - but my father found a story in the Sunday Telegraph last week about insulin in tablet form which was interesting as well.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello and welcome to Diabetes Forum! Your son is old enough to understand his problem and what to do to have good control. I hope he works hard and stays healthy. Does he have a good doctor?

I have been Type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. With good control diabetics can have long, healthy lives.

I have heard very little about the insulin in pill form. I doubt it will be as effective as injections. I hope I am wrong.

Good luck to you and your son!

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Richard,

He has very good support on the gold coast through his educator and dietician in particular.

He is also coping with the news well and has, at this point, accepted that there is no reason to "why him".

Hello and welcome to Diabetes Forum! Your son is old enough to understand his problem and what to do to have good control. I hope he works hard and stays healthy. Does he have a good doctor?

I have been Type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. With good control diabetics can have long, healthy lives.

I have heard very little about the insulin in pill form. I doubt it will be as effective as injections. I hope I am wrong.

Good luck to you and your son!

Richard

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi, just found this forum and wanted to spend some more time on it. Our 15 year old son has just been diagnosed (2 months ago) with Type 1 diabetes and we're keen to keep ourselves up to date on what's happening.

Saw the story on Channel 7 a few weeks back - mayor was a bit hypo - but my father found a story in the Sunday Telegraph last week about insulin in tablet form which was interesting as well.
Glad you found us! I think its great that you all are having such a great attitude about this. There is no reason he cant still do the things he wants to do and and be healthy. It just takes a little extra work, but once you get into the "groove" of it, it will become second nature. Please feel free to ask anything you need, or just rant, rave or bounce ideas off. There are lots of very supportive people here.

Myself, I was diagnosed at age 16 with type 2. I am now insulin dependant though. There are many of us here that use insulin. There are others that are managing well without insulin right now, and they are also a wealth of knowledge on diet choices and carb counting. Carb counting is the key!

Welcome again and we hope to see you around. Let us know how you all are doing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Second time I typed this - lost the first one somewhere!

I think that the key thing in the way that he is handling it is that he is doing the carb counting and adjusting his dose as required.

He is also pretty much a "matter of fact" person and just deals with what he has.

He was distressed when the first doctor at the hospital said no more McDonalds, no alcohol when he turns 18, no soft drink (although he has since switched to diet drink) and a few other things but we now know that he was wrong but it was a shock to start with.

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Bruce

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Bruce . . . just hollaring in to welcome you & offer my best vibes for your son. He sounds like a conscientious kid who will do well in managing this new development his life.

Glad to have you join us and I hope you'll come around often.

:welcome:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts