The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 385 Posts

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Exercise helps control weight, lowers blood pressure, reduces harmful LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, raises healthy HDL cholesterol, strengthens muscles and bones, and reduces anxiety. Exercise can help regulate blood sugar and increase the body's sensitivity to insulin. Both are important for people with diabetes. Exercise is good for diabetes
Whether we choose to go to the gym, bike, run, jog, hike or walk, the important thing is that we just get moving.

Post in this thread daily to tell us your results. How did you get moving today?

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is something I have to start getting more serious about.

Because I want to be stronger for hikes this fall, I loaded up my backpack (with weight) and walked up and down small hills in our local shopping center on Saturday. 2.31 miles.

Last night I needed more trail climbing time so I went to the lake with my son. Some of the rocks/cliffs were crazy. 1.53 miles.

How did y'all do this weekend?

·
Super Moderator
10,026 Posts
I worked graveyard shift but only got in 41 floors and a little over 20,000 steps in 2 nights, Saturday and Sunday. Too much office time.

I had a cardiologist appointment 2 weeks ago and mentioned my chest being sore and I thought it was muscle soreness from riding my bike a little more. The NP said I could come in for a stress test if I wanted to, so I asked to do it last Thursday and just got my results yesterday. My last stress test in 2015, they said come back and lets do a heart cath, so I was a little nervous about this one. They talked to BH because I was sleeping, and told her my heart was really good, keep taking the CoQ-10 and Krill Oil. Emphasis is from note BH jotted down. Needless to say, I had a little more pep in my step last night. About 6000 steps and 16 floors since midnight.

·
Super Moderator
10,026 Posts
Got off graveyard shift Tuesday morning and napped. Got up early to take my camper to get an estimate for repair costs of damage resulting from a blow out weekend before last going to the lake. So I didn't do much more Tuesday.

Rain back upon us again yesterday, back on the trainer with the bike. A 19.7 mile ride at lunch time and 18.6 mile ride after supper. BG a 97 two hours after supper before ride and an 80 after the ride.

·
Super Moderator
10,026 Posts
Too much stuff to do early yesterday when the sun was shining, so on the trainer last night for 15 miles.

Back to work today. 11,713 steps and 23 floors.

·
Super Moderator
10,026 Posts
Too much stuff to do early yesterday when the sun was shining, so on the trainer last night for 15 miles.

Back to work today. 11,713 steps and 23 floors.

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went for a 1.5-mile walk today because the weatherman said the rain was over with and the sunshine was moving in. He was wrong. About 1/2 way through my walk, the heavens opened up. Do I get extra credit for that?

·
Super Moderator
10,026 Posts
Was the last half a more brisk pace than the first half? Check, extra credit.

·
Super Moderator
10,026 Posts
Went out to eat last night after work, too late to think about riding after getting back home and had plenty of steps. Decided to get up and ride this morning, because some of my runner friends get up and run before coming to work. Rode 13.2 miles, took a shower, and went to work. Not sure what hurt more, remembering that I'm not a get up out of bed and go person or having to wait until I got to work to have my bullet proof coffee. I've been hobbling around all day. I don't think I will ride get up and ride before work in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
10,026 Posts
I guess I was busier today at work than I thought. 13,786 steps and 32 floors. Off a day then back on a trio of nights.

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is another type of exercise I participate in.
I fired my gardener & do my own brush trimming; there is a lot on my property. I never realized what hard work it is. Not so much the trimming, but the chopping & picking it up & putting it into the green barrel. At 66, I have to go inside & LIE DOWN for an hour afterwards. And I don't want to move much the next day.

·
Super Moderator
10,026 Posts
Yesterday I rode my bike 12.55 miles on the trainer. Started graveyards last night,for steps I had 10,192 and 21 floors.

·
Registered
632 Posts
There is another type of exercise I participate in.
I fired my gardener & do my own brush trimming; there is a lot on my property. I never realized what hard work it is. Not so much the trimming, but the chopping & picking it up & putting it into the green barrel. At 66, I have to go inside & LIE DOWN for an hour afterwards. And I don't want to move much the next day.
I can relate to that - I'm 57 and gardening always seems to tire me out. I'm thinking of building box gardens this spring in the few sunny spots that are left in the back of my property. I will likely thank myself for doing that in future years. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Did some yard work this morning. Raked leaves out from under bushes, pulled out overgrown ground cover, moved some bricks from the border and stacked to use later on. It was a workout, but I paced myself and didn't try to do too much. This project is to be continued. It was good to get back outside and digging in the dirt.

·
Super Moderator
10,026 Posts
2nd night of graveyard shift, one to go. Had 13, 670 steps and 24 floors.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The past three days, I got more exercise than I needed - courtesy of a swarm of bees.

I'm just about to leave & run errands; I'm dressed, showered, got all pretty....I walk outside & see a swarm of bees outside the corner of my roof on the 3rd floor. Luckily, I went back in the house to check inside the living room on that floor. I see hundreds of bees inside, swarming on the living room windows. I'm not an expert but I think they were planning on building a hive. I know people who didn't know there was a beehive in their house until they saw honey dripping down the walls. By then, it's a costly repair. That's why I feel lucky that I saw the swarm outside before I left.

I don't like killing bees, but I figured I couldn't very well tell them to leave, so I got out the Raid & started spraying the window & a few other areas. I thought they might have come in from the chimney. Even though the flue is closed & I don't use the fireplace, there is a small gap, so I sprayed the fireplace too.

Here's where the "exercise" came in. I didn't move any furniture & things before I sprayed, so everything smelled like Raid, which I hate & it gives me a headache. I took another shower & shampoo, put everything I was wearing in the laundry, had to clean everything twice - watch, glasses, Medical I.D. Bracelet, etc. I had to clean everything - windows, window sills, doors, furniture, tables, a big piano, statues & a bunch of other stuff around the living room. Then I shampooed the carpeting & threw out some rugs that still smelled Raidy...
That was a more strenuous workout than 20 minutes on my elliptical.

1 - 20 of 385 Posts