The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

221 - 240 of 300 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
Yeah, you're retired now. Should have oodles of time! :vs_laugh:

(My newly-retired wife cannot imagine how she worked a full-time job into her day.)

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
I got oodles of things I put off when working that I'm trying to knock out. I wish I had felt more urgency before retirement. Still trying to convince myself that I don't have a timeline to meet on this stuff.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
15 mile bike ride on the trainer tonight.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
22 mile bike ride on the trainer.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
12.1 mile bike ride on the trainer last night. BG before: 100 BG after: 80

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
15 mile bike ride on the trainer last night. Looks like it is helping the fasting numbers.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
2 bike rides on the trainer, 12.0 miles before supper, and 13.5 after supper.

Reactions: etherea

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Six of us went on a cold, windy, drizzly bike ride Saturday. I thought the big ride was planned for next weekend and this would be a 50-60 mile ride in preparation for it. I was wrong. Route planned was for 112 miles, 3 went 100 and stopped, I made it 90 miles and was toast, another went 80 miles, and the other went for 66 miles. I think we were all good up to the point we hit the flat river bottom farmland and there was nothing to block the headwind.

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
mbuster, that's quite a ride -- especially when you weren't expecting it!

Some of the early rides around here feature sleet or snow flurries. I have friends who've sworn off those rides totally. Me? I was too much of a wimp for them in the first place.

My bike is in the house and it's going to go on the trainer as soon as I swap the seat on it. It's make or break this winter on whether I can ride for any distance.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
I really wasn't ready for the distance I rode, but was good on the first 60-65 miles. My bike will be in on the trainer until the weather clears up and maybe I'll get on it and ride.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
12 .2 mile bike ride on the trainer yesterday afternoon. Fixing to get back on again in a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
11.1 miles on the trainer Thursday. Had a flat around 6 miles.
22.6 miles last night on the trainer.
Taking today off, gonna try to get outside tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Took Sunday off too I guess.
12.7 mile bike ride outside today.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Not much additional exercising yet this month. Have spent the last 3 days getting electricity run to our new camper shed. Put in 50 amp service so that we can run fridge and AC's to pre-chill before going camping in the hot summertime. Or maybe to be used by me as my "doghouse" when in hot water with BH. Camper is running on new power and has a 110 outlet. Ran conduit for lights in the main area, hope to have lights installed and working today. Looking at security light /cam, have conduit laid out for that will run wiring for that once I know what we will put up. Will run lights and outlets to the side shed in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Got in 15,371 steps in yesterday. Looking back, it is the 3rd highest of 9 times over 10k steps in a day since I retired. I gotta start doing better.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Rode the bike on the trainer 8 miles at lunch. The part of the trainer the back tire runs on broke loose from the part that keeps the bike in place. Gorilla glued it back together and rode 20 miles this evening. I guess its time to start looking for a new trainer, because I don't trust this repair to hold long.

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
Yeah, that's more of a weld fix than a glue fix (if that's even possible). Maybe buy the same one again? I've liked my Blackburn though I have not put anywhere near as many miles on mind as you have on yours.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Yeah, that's more of a weld fix than a glue fix (if that's even possible). Maybe buy the same one again? I've liked my Blackburn though I have not put anywhere near as many miles on mind as you have on yours.
The frame of the trainer that supports the bike is metal, the part going from the support frame to the resistance hub and the hub housing are plastic. It broke where the hub can be detached from the frame Sorry if its sideways, I keep forgetting to turn the iPhone right way to get Windows OS to orient it properly.

IMG_8650.jpg

18.5 mile bike ride on the trainer this evening.

Edit; DOUBLE CLICK THE IMAGE TO TURN IT UPRIGHT, THEN SINGLE CLICK TO SEE ZOOMED IN PIC

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
If the hub bearing is plastic then, yeah, time to shop for a new trainer unless you can find another one to cannibalize. I suspect they're too proprietary for that.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
They're held together with 2 little metal pins about 1/4" in diameter and about a 5/8' inch long that sllde toward the middle of the hub to disengage it. The piece of plastic in front of both of the pins broke off and the hub jumped back. It is really a bad design for plastic parts.

221 - 240 of 300 Posts