The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there guys and gals . . . !!!
I am new to this forum , just gathering info on diabetes . I was searching and the forum came up so i decided to join it . Nice forum , keep up the good work .

O

·
0 Posts
welcome DryK. :) Are you just researching for study or for life experience? Are you diabetic or know someone who is? There's certainly a lot of myths floating about in regard to diabetes. The biggest one is that we can't eat any sugar at all.... that's nonsense. No food is off limits... unless the individual decides a food doesn't really work well with them personally. We base our decision on diet according to readings on our glucometers. Everyone is different with their diet. Eg. I have to eat carbs, others here can get away with very little carbs. We are all getting different treatments too. It's very much a science even when you have the disease. Look forward to you sharing with us.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. What is your experience with Diabetes and how can we help you? There are mainily two types of diabetes. Type 1 is an autoimmune attack where the beta cells in your pancreas are destroyed , so you are left with no insulin producing beta cells. Type 1.5 is a slower version of this but the outcome is the same eventually. All type 1's need injected insulin to survive. Type 2 is another animal by itself. Many of us still produce insulin but for various reasons the insulin doesn't get into the cells efficiently. Sometime is is a receptor problem, sometimes an insulin resistance problem, sometimes an insulin insufficiency problem. Sometimes it could be caused by being overweight, but many of us are quite thin. Type 2's usually start on oral meds and as the disease progresses we may need injected insulin as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you for your warm welcome guys . . . !!!
I am just gathering info for an upcoming project .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts