The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here, type 1 for 16 years, I have just gone back to Levemir from Tresiba as couldn't get on with Tresiba, but had problems with Levimir before. I know it doesn't last 24 hrs, I always took split dose morning and evening before, but I only take small dose at evening 6 units , and 10 in morning, but they both don't last 12 hrs? I take small dose at night around 9.00pm, as anymore i would go hypo around 3 or 4 am, but then I'm high in morning and remain like that until afternoon, I take extra NovoRapid in morning, as it could be DP, but I dident used to get that, I also take correction shot, around midday, I carb count but need a lot more insulin in morning, I would like to take night dose of Levemir before bed so it would last, but cant as that would be 14 hours since morning shot, so my problem is none of doses last for 12 hrs but taking anymore I have Hypos :( so i really don't know what to do, if my morning one lasted longer I could take at bedtime but it doesn't, I know a few people split it 3 ways. But didn't really want to , just wish this stuff would work, any one have any ideas please.馃槹

Super Moderator
I'm don't take insulin so you may take my thoughts and a dollar and get a small coffee at McD's. How are you doing your bolus insulin for meals? Are you taking it calculated on your carbs to insulin ratio or sliding scale? Do you have a correction factor for correction doses? Your basal insulin should take care of your BG during times of fasting.

According to the ADA basal is like 40-50% of daily insulin need and bolus is 40-60%. Like I say, I don't take insulin, so maybe some of Type 1s can jump in and help us out a little on what worked for you. I think it is a balancing act, and feel there should be a way to sort it out. Do you try to pin down the basal or bolus first?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm don't take insulin so you may take my thoughts and a dollar and get a small coffee at McD's. How are you doing your bolus insulin for meals? Are you taking it calculated on your carbs to insulin ratio or sliding scale? Do you have a correction factor for correction doses? Your basal insulin should take care of your BG during times of fasting.

According to the ADA basal is like 40-50% of daily insulin need and bolus is 40-60%. Like I say, I don't take insulin, so maybe some of Type 1s can jump in and help us out a little on what worked for you. I think it is a balancing act, and feel there should be a way to sort it out. Do you try to pin down the basal or bolus first?
Hi I'm trying to set basal first, like I said in post I tried Tresiba but that made me very rough, didn't agree with me, so back on levemir now, but can't seem to dose right, as I split it and need more in day , so running high sugar levels most of the day, and giving novorapid corrections, several times a day, thanks for reply, I carb count but that doesn't always work out, I've got libre 2 to follow whats going on, and at the moment not good , its like starting all over again, I did have good control of my diabetes, but had covid in December what a Christmas present! :eek: so I think that messed it up, anyway good night to you and again thanks for reading my post and answering.

Super Moderator
There were some good books that I remember were popular reading referrals, Think like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner and Using Insulin by John Walsh for MDI management. John Walsh also wrote Pumping Insulin obviously for insulin pump management.

Reactions: Nemo and itissteve
1 - 4 of 4 Posts