The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Jen and I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on Sept 2011. I know that type 2 diabetes runs in my fathers side of the family. I always figured it would just be a matter of time. Just didn't think it would happen this soon in my life. I'm trying my best to make the adjustments necessary to improve my health. I'm finding it difficult because of the limited support/understanding from my husband. Little things such as making meals is even becoming a challenge. I've been doing pretty well about cutting out the carbs the difficulty I'm having is eating my 3 meals and taking my meds at the same time everyday. I'm getting some exercise done but there are days where I'm so fatigued I can't push myself out of bed. Initially, the doctor prescribed me with Amaryl and Metformin, but the side effects became unbearable on the Met. I am still taking the Amaryl but instead of the Met I'm taking Glumetza. Still some side effects. Having trouble telling the difference between side effects or maybe a "bug", especially this week that its been real bad. Afraid they appear to be the warning signs for lactic acidosis, but not sure. I'm trying to learn to read my body to know when my sugar is high or low. This is just a lot of "new" for me right now. I'm dizzy all the time, confused. Nausea, vomiting and stomach problems. I'm afraid to go on insulin. The weight is coming off slowly which is a big plus. I'm hoping its gets easier, I just want to feel like myself again. Time will tell. I welcome any and all advice. Thanks!:eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Jen - welcome to the forum. What are your blood sugar numbers? A1C? Insulin is nothing to be afraid of, high blood sugar numbers are.

I also had a violent reaction to metformin, but wanted desperately to take it because I believe it's the best oral med there is. It doesn't compromise our pancreas by stimulating production of insulin, but helps with the insulin resistance instead. After struggling with it for a couple of months, I went on the extended release version, and while that helped, I was still having gastric symptoms. They did begin easing, and after a couple more months backed off entirely. It was an investment, but worth it. Some people take their metformin at the same time every day, but I'm more casual about it since I don't see a difference. My doc said to take it once/day, but I split it morning/evening - when I remember! I'm famous for forgetting and taking it at random times w/out bad effect.

Are you having trouble eating 3 meals because you're not hungry or schedule or..? You said cooking was a challenge but you haven't had a problem reducing carbs. What is your typical diet like? Knowing that and your blood sugar numbers will make it easier to put things in context.

Very sorry your husband isn't supportive. Perhaps has he learns more he'll come to understand how important this is for you and your health. Meanwhile, you can just go about doing what you need to do for you and hang here for the greatest support system there is!

It's hard to read your body for highs and lows - they can be very deceiving. The way to know is to test. Are you testing regularly before and after meals? That was invaluable to me in the beginning.

It will get easier, once you are settled into a routine with the right meds for you, your blood sugar controlled. Your symptoms can be a result of blood sugar swings, but have you talked to your doctor about them? What does your blood sugar run? Oh, I asked that already :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thank you for responding to my thread. My sugars have ranged from 118 - 150 with an average of about 135. My apologies but I am still not familiar with the diabetic jargon. What does A1C mean? I'm still learning about all this but from what I've heard its better to try and stay on meds and manage diabetes vs insulin, insulin is a last resort? Probably just a stigma. I'm taking 1000 mg twice a day of the Glumetza.

I'm having trouble eating the 3 meals because I was used to a 1 - 2 a day meal. I've never been a breakfast eater. Usually I start my day with a late lunch about 1 or 2 then dinner about 7 or 8. The cooking is a challenge because I'm cooking one thing for my family then having to prepare a meal for myself. Just double the work. I'm trying to be smarter about it. Finding little tricks here and there. I'm trying to keep my meals to salads with grilled chicken (mostly). During a work week I stick with Lean Cuisine or SmartOnes cause the carbs usually range between 30-60. I was told I need to base each meal of the day at 45carbs.

For the testing I was told to perform it only in the morning while fasting and then 2 hours after my biggest meal. I would like to do it more often but the test strips are pretty expensive and my insurance doesn't cover them. I have to go out of pocket.

Honestly, I still feel a little lost and I joined this forum cause I figured who would know better than other people going through the same thing. I've seen the doctor only once and that was to get my results and be told I have type 2 diabetes. The other appointments I've had are for classes but they all feel like repeated info. At this point I feel its trial and error. Thank you again for your kind words!

Hi Jen - welcome to the forum. What are your blood sugar numbers? A1C? Insulin is nothing to be afraid of, high blood sugar numbers are.

I also had a violent reaction to metformin, but wanted desperately to take it because I believe it's the best oral med there is. It doesn't compromise our pancreas by stimulating production of insulin, but helps with the insulin resistance instead. After struggling with it for a couple of months, I went on the extended release version, and while that helped, I was still having gastric symptoms. They did begin easing, and after a couple more months backed off entirely. It was an investment, but worth it. Some people take their metformin at the same time every day, but I'm more casual about it since I don't see a difference. My doc said to take it once/day, but I split it morning/evening - when I remember! I'm famous for forgetting and taking it at random times w/out bad effect.

Are you having trouble eating 3 meals because you're not hungry or schedule or..? You said cooking was a challenge but you haven't had a problem reducing carbs. What is your typical diet like? Knowing that and your blood sugar numbers will make it easier to put things in context.

Very sorry your husband isn't supportive. Perhaps has he learns more he'll come to understand how important this is for you and your health. Meanwhile, you can just go about doing what you need to do for you and hang here for the greatest support system there is!

It's hard to read your body for highs and lows - they can be very deceiving. The way to know is to test. Are you testing regularly before and after meals? That was invaluable to me in the beginning.

It will get easier, once you are settled into a routine with the right meds for you, your blood sugar controlled. Your symptoms can be a result of blood sugar swings, but have you talked to your doctor about them? What does your blood sugar run? Oh, I asked that already :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that. Support is what I need. I'm mostly frustrated I guess. It will pass with time.

My diet is fixed on 45carbs per meal for the 3 meals. I'm having trouble keeping to that though. I'm used to 1 to 2 meals a day which doesnt include breakfast.

Hi Jen -- "the D train" I like that!

You will find a lot of support, here!

What are you eating?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I typically eat 2 meals a day ... but my total carbs per day are more like 30 -40. If I exceed that, I gain weight and cannot control BGs well. Yes, even with insulin.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Geez Jen, you aren't getting very good support anywhere over there, bless your heart - not even your doc! He's given you the standard party line about diabetes, which doesn't work. 45 carbs per meal is far too much - it's more than some of us eat per DAY! And he didn't take you off metformin - he just gave you the extended release version of the same drug, which sometimes relieves some of the gastric side effects. You're still taking quite a high dose though, for someone just getting started. He could have started you on a lower dose & increased it gradually. Perhaps you could just take one pill a day for awhile & see if your symptoms subside a bit. Or ask your pharmacist if he'll fill it with 500mg tabs so you can adjust a little better. Don't try cutting the pills in half - that destroys the extended release part of it.

This is all just my speculation - I'm sure no expert, but I've been on metformin for 2½ years & am eating a low-carb/high-fat diet, which keeps my blood sugar in the ballpark, although it isn't as low as I want it yet.

I sure know that "lost" feeling, and I'm glad you found us - I think these folks will give you the same boost they give me - it's really great having somewhere you can talk about it and people understand!

So take care, visit us often, and thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm doing 45carbs because I was told to do so..maybe I should try reducing that. When I test, my sugars range from 118-150 with an average of about 135. I'm taking 2mg of Amaryl in the morning and 1000 mg of Glumetza twice a day. I feel that's a lot for someone who never typically takes medication :rolleyes: . I'm not taking insulin yet, but the nurse practitioner tried to push it on me on my last visit.

The hardest part I feel is adjusting to the medication. The side effects are really uncomfortable. My days are a constant blur. I'm always dizzy, lightheaded, feel like fainting, confused and then there's the gastric problems along with the nausea. This is week 3 of the meds. I hope all that goes away soon. This week have been especially hard.

On a side note, I still haven't picked up on the lingo. What is AC1 and BG? There are other terms that come

I typically eat 2 meals a day ... but my total carbs per day are more like 30 -40. If I exceed that, I gain weight and cannot control BGs well. Yes, even with insulin.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Oops - sorry for forgetting . . . BG or BS stands for blood glucose or blood sugar. A1c is a blood test that can gauge over the previous 90 days or so, how much glycation (glucose molecules piggybacking on your hemoglobin) has taken place. Gives an average of what your BG has been the previous three months.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the info and kind words. This is the second reply that suggests I should reduce my carb intake more than what it is. When I saw the doctor it did feel like I was just being passed through a processor. It was like ok kid this is what you have this is what you'll take now move it along. I felt :confused:

Well, if this is the same drug I'm taking then that's probably why the side effects are almost completely the same. This week has been pretty bad for me. It has all the effects of the original med with an additional (sharp pains in my stomach) which are very uncomfortable and bring on a lot of nausea. He had started me with 500 mg the first week, but after that it was 1000mg twice a day.

I'm still a little confused on the diet part. I was told to stay away from high fatty foods and stick with high protein/lean meats and non starchy veggies. But from what I've read a lot of individuals with diabetes are doing the high fat diet.

Geez Jen, you aren't getting very good support anywhere over there, bless your heart - not even your doc! He's given you the standard party line about diabetes, which doesn't work. 45 carbs per meal is far too much - it's more than some of us eat per DAY! And he didn't take you off metformin - he just gave you the extended release version of the same drug, which sometimes relieves some of the gastric side effects. You're still taking quite a high dose though, for someone just getting started. He could have started you on a lower dose & increased it gradually. Perhaps you could just take one pill a day for awhile & see if your symptoms subside a bit. Or ask your pharmacist if he'll fill it with 500mg tabs so you can adjust a little better. Don't try cutting the pills in half - that destroys the extended release part of it.

This is all just my speculation - I'm sure no expert, but I've been on metformin for 2½ years & am eating a low-carb/high-fat diet, which keeps my blood sugar in the ballpark, although it isn't as low as I want it yet.

I sure know that "lost" feeling, and I'm glad you found us - I think these folks will give you the same boost they give me - it's really great having somewhere you can talk about it and people understand!

So take care, visit us often, and thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Quite a few of us here have had the same experience.

It takes a certain cussedness to deal with diabetes, and part of that is the fact that ADA advocates this high-carb diet. Many of us find that when we eat low-carb, high fat, our blood sugars are better controlled, our lipids improve, and ... we lose weight.

Some people think it is a conspiracy, others think it is the stupidity of committee decisions. Whatever it is, the ADA diet does not work for many people.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Doctors are just parroting what they were taught in med school, and we suspect they're also obligated to conform to ADA (American Diabetes Assoc) guidelines. But here is a doc from Sweden who is not bound by the ADA, and the Swedish food/drug administration has seen the light and given a GREEN light to the LCHF way of eating.

Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt on LCHF

·
Banned
158 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)

Question: Are you taking the oral meds with food? They can not be taken on an empty stomach or else you will get lots of bad side effects.

Comment: I wouldn't be afraid of Insulin. My A1c was 12.7 (very high) and my tests showed I wasn't producing enough Insulin, so I started Insulin and Metformin ER about 6 weeks ago. At first I gained fluid weight, but that all went away in about 3 days after I took a "water pill" for a few days. Insulin has not caused me to gain any weight. But, the low carb/high fat diet is giving me weight loss and normal BGs. Without the diet (just on the meds and Insulin) my BGs still weren't normal or stable.

I would ask for a copy of your lab test results because you will want to track your Ha1c numbers. Here's a website someone on the forum gave me that has LOTS of delicious meals that are great for you AND the whole family. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts