The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I just got told today I have diabetes. I'm still in shock and denial. I am a 34 female, not overweight, and I exercise regularly. Any suggestions? I am starting a new medication soon

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum - though dang about the diabetes.

The best thing you could do is do some reading at bloodsugar101.com - it's a wonderful primer on diabetes, backed up by studies, and is sort of a bible 'round these parts :)

What are the numbers you were diagnosed with? When you say 'starting a new medication soon' - do you know which medication and why you haven't started it yet? If your diabetes was caught early enough, there's always a chance that with a new eating plan you can manage without medication or with less than you might get in the beginning.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, kwiggles. Since you're thin & active, it might be a good idea to ask for a couple more tests if they haven't done them already. Testing for GAD antibodies & c-peptide can pinpoint more precisely what's going on, just in case you might be type 1.5 (LADA)

We're sure here for you, helping you sort things out & understand what's going on. Take care and thank you for joining us! :wave:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was put on a low dose of Metformin today. My A1C level was 8. I'm hoping being a lil more conscious with my diet will help. 'crossing fingers'

I had gestational diabetes with my two kids and I went in to follow up a few weeks ago with my blood sugar levels and ...

Diabetes runs in the family, so I wasn't super shocked, just really bummed!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shanny... Thanks for letting me know about LADA. I've never heard of this Type 1.5 before, so I am definitely going to look into it!!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You'll find LOTS of discussion on what we eat around here - you'd think all we ever think about is eating (and you might be right)! :D :D :D We even have threads on what we eat for breakfast and what we eat for dinner, just to give people an idea of the foods that are working well for us.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am also a thin type 2. So it does happen but many of us are mis diagnosed. There use to be a theory that only children were dx'd as Type 1. Now they have a slow onset version called LADA or Type 1.5. Many people on these forums were misdiagnosed at first because they were older or maybe a few pounds overweight. Insisting on a GAD and a C Peptide test is the best plan, then at least you know what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone! I just got told today I have diabetes. I'm still in shock and denial. I am a 34 female, not overweight, and I exercise regularly. Any suggestions? I am starting a new medication soon
Get as much trained medical counseling as you can, I went into an intensive 2 week program where I was taught about the disease, insulin, injections, how to change my eating habits, which foods are good, bad and indifferent, including portioning, a huge factor.

I read the Canadian and American Diabetes Assoc websites regularly. The day I was told decided that with hard work, tenacity, commitment and a positive attitude I could live a long and healthy life. Denial equates to failure. There are many small children in my family who also live with diabetes and watching them gives me great encouragement. Find your own forms of encouragement, continue to eat right and exercise, all this will help, it helped me! I quit smoking, my doctors tell me I am healthier than I have ever been (other than being diabetic of course).

I work just as hard, travel just as much only now there is more responsibility. You can decide to do everything you can to manage diabetes, continue living your life to it's fullest within these new perimeters and knowledge will be the key to that success.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts