The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First one in like 2 years!

THEN I looked up the carb content ... OMG 12 g typical for a pilsner???

What have I DONE? 4 U are probably not enough ... uh oh.

We have had a tough weekend ... our basement flooded with raw sewage yesterday, City paid to clean it up but we have 6 drying fans running and it is NOISY. And kids are stressed ... so here I am, 3 sheets to the wind ... on ONE BEER ... and will be testing often this evening ... ACK! Guess all Ican do is my best ... and forgive myself.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Ai yi yi . . . whatta colossal mess. Glad it wasn't your expense, but still . . .

Will it ever stop raining? =(

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shanny said:
Ai yi yi . . . whatta colossal mess. Glad it wasn't your expense, but still . . .

Will it ever stop raining? =(
We have had 2 days of beautiful weather...back to rain tomorrow...until Thursday I believe...ugggh!!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the cleanup was not our expense, but the repairs and losses probably ARE. The City is a turnip, and Legal is skillful with words.

Add to the damages, we are also considering a backflow valve, but there are 2 types and neither is entirely satisfactory. At $3 - 5000 for installation.

As to that beer ... 146 this morning. 8 units novo last night and 3 more this morning. Not sure that was worth it .... but I already suspected my A1c was gonna suck a bit.

G

·
Well, the cleanup was not our expense, but the repairs and losses probably ARE. The City is a turnip, and Legal is skillful with words.

Add to the damages, we are also considering a backflow valve, but there are 2 types and neither is entirely satisfactory. At $3 - 5000 for installation.

As to that beer ... 146 this morning. 8 units novo last night and 3 more this morning. Not sure that was worth it .... but I already suspected my A1c was gonna suck a bit.
well after all that to deal with I don't blame you for having a beer! I actually had some beer yesterday myself... I'm not a beer drinker.... but I was served a shandy (which probably made it worse). My BGLs were really high yesterday arvo after lunch.... I already posted on that one earlier.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm =really= going to miss beer this summer. I typically drank about 3/week, usually sitting in a cafe at the beach. A single beer - savored - damn!

Mostly I'm okay with all the changes I've made the last couple of months, but there are a few things on occasion - damn!

·
Registered
663 Posts
First one in like 2 years!
Aww Linda..... The beer is not a bad thing, It's how much you drink?

THEN I looked up the carb content ... OMG 12 g typical for a pilsner???
Pilsner is a nice drop as the cabs will be delayed because of the alcohol

What have I DONE? 4 U are probably not enough ... uh oh.
I wouldn't bother bolusing for beer and then again if there's a way to remind yourself to bolus once you sober up as at then carbs would be a problem.

We have had a tough weekend ... our basement flooded with raw sewage yesterday, City paid to clean it up but we have 6 drying fans running and it is NOISY. And kids are stressed ... so here I am, 3 sheets to the wind ... on ONE BEER ... and will be testing often this evening ... ACK! Guess all Ican do is my best ... and forgive myself
Aww you will be OK Lin. It's only a toilet. :boom:

G

·
I was going to add Moon.... if you're really hanging out for a beer in summer... you could still have one (just not a few)... you just factor it in to everything else you're having that day. Another way to deal with it is water it down with tonic water (probably won't taste as good though) which is what our diabetic educators tell us here to do with alcohol.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have never had a beer... never had any alcohol. My Dad drank enough for the whole family, so I determined quite young never to start... :)

Never drank, never smoked (although mum smoked 2-1/2 packs a day). My vices were Pizza and Diet Coke, LOL.

G

·
I have never had a beer... never had any alcohol. My Dad drank enough for the whole family, so I determined quite young never to start... :)

Never drank, never smoked (although mum smoked 2-1/2 packs a day). My vices were Pizza and Diet Coke, LOL.
lol Beefy... well I love my red wine, and cider. But I don't ever like to get myself drunk. I normally stop after the 2nd drink. Not many people I know here drink moderately... they love getting drunk. I think having diabetes deters me too... plus I have strong values on the subject. I have to say that I'm really cautious about the cider though nowdays as it puts my BGLs up if I drink it. I'm lucky if I have a drink every 4-6 months these days.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rarely drink, and then typically a glass of wine, or in days of eld, a beer. I was very fond of beer.

I have a loaded family history, which is why I rarely drink, anymore. Life is top short to spend that much time forgetting!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I stick to my red wine, but have to be careful. I usually have 1-2 glasses. Last night I made sausage and peppers for dinner and had wine with it. When I tested before bed I was 71. So I had a few bites of snack. Linda, sorry about the basement, that happened twice to us when we lived in Virginia. The insurance company finally paid because we convinced them the sump pump malfunctioned. If you have a clause in your insurance policy called back up of sewer and drains you will be covered minus your deductible. It is finally sunny here today after tons of rain. Last night people had lakes forming in their yards. I would assume lots of my neighbors flooded. I checked twice yesterday and we were still dry but who knows. Once the ground is saturated their is no way for the water to go but in your foundation.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, Jeanne, I was just saying to my friend, I will stick to one sip of my husband's beer (I LOVE the taste!), or have red wine, now. I do only drink occasionally, anyhow.

This basement ordeal -- well, we want the city to accept blame, though I doubt they will, but eventually probably will look into our insurance coverage.

an added complication is that we brought the TV and DVD player upstairs (despite the now-dry basement, it will be weeks before the floor gets replaced, etc) and the DVD player no longer works! So we hauled out a replacement one my husband got on sale and it seems to be incompatible with the TV. :( So now we are without a DVD player! This could be the end of the world, for my kids ... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts