The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

My name is Bridget. Both my Mom and my husband are diabetic (both diagnosed as type 2 and both insulin dependent). My Mom is obese and that is probably the reason she acquired it. My husband is not overweight at all, never has been, and is also very active, so his diagnosis is a bit more of a mystery to us. In fact, he is the only one in his family with diabetes. His sister is about 500 pounds overweight (morbidly obese), and she doesn't even have this disease. Go figure.

I joined to have a place to ask questions and read more about this disease directly from others who have it, and as a way to be even more informed so I can be more supportive of these VERY important people in my life.

Thanks for reading! :) I look forward to chatting with all of you!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi, Bridget. At Blood Sugar 101 there is a section titled 'You Did Not Eat Your Way to Diabetes. The Real Causes.' That should help clear up one of your questions about diabetes.

Your mom and husband are lucky to have someone willing to be supportive of them in their fight with diabetes. Reading past posts here should be very helpful to you. We're glad you decided to join us. Welcome.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Bridget welcome to DD. No one really knows why one person gets diabetes and someone else doesn't. I was the first one in my family to get diabetes, too. My 92 year old dad just got it a few years ago after being on Prednisone for 12 years. Although being overweight can accelerate diabetes it doesn't cause it. I am a thinner Type 2. There are a lot of misconceptions about diabetes floating around.

Reactions: Shanny and Spunky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the info! I've been reading the Blood Sugar 101 website and that is very informative and easy to understand!

I am very surprised to read the research involving obesity and diabetes, but at the same time, it makes a lot of sense. I also just recently had a friend whom I went to grad school with get diagnosed with type 2, and he is thin as a rail and very active as well much like my husband.

I've learned so much already and I haven't even touched the surface yet. I am so happy I found this site! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think Diabetes is a big umbrella. It covers lots of diseases with similar symptom- higher bgs. But the reason for those higher bgs may be very different. Here are some of the differing underlying conditions

Prednisone or steroid meds
Insulin Resistance
Insulin Insufficiency
Autoimmune attack of the pancreas
Poor signaling between insulin receptors
Genetic markers which affect insulin production
Obesity and central obesity which affects the way your organs work
Pancreatitis which damages the pancreas.

I'm sure there are a lot more reasons people get type 2. The way you choose to treat your diabetes may relate to what caused it. This is why some D's can control with diet only , some need meds and some need insulin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts