The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading this forum for a while now & have learned some info that I really needed.
I hope my being a member here goes better then one I joined . I was spoken to very rudely & then I logged out never to return.

Its just been recently I had to start insulin as well. I am adjusting to it. Still not comfortable with the needle. I found a needle I am comfortable with ,the Nano 4mm. 7 units of Lantus to begin. Then 10 then jumped to 25.

My last aic was still high 3months ago. 7.something. Since that last visit I got my act together & started eating Low Carb & measuring all my food intake. My Bg 3 have dropped like a rock :)
I was for the most part in the 200 plus or minus. I am now still up & down a lot. Sometimes 90 then like this morning 157.
I test 4 times day. Its been a nightmare getting strips.
I am on Medicare as well as Medicade. After all this time Publix got me on the right strips that are covered. Jeepers it was such a fiasco.

The thing I am bummed about the most is my weight has not dropped at all. I even thought my scale was wrong lol I got another one . Nope , it says the same.
I low carb,high fat :)D) weigh everything, 60carbs a day. IDK?
Oh & I do need to lose 100lbs I can't even believe I told that.

Ok thats it for now. I will tell more as time moves on.
I have a feeling I will be a active member here.

Carolina..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello Carolina and welcome to the forum :director:
I have found this a good forum, without the extra stress that some others tend to create. If you are 'low carbing' then likely you already know about the Diabetes Recipes - The Diabetes Forum - Building a New Community to Serve Diabetics Online section, lots of great ideas!!!
It does sound like you are moving the right direction, sometimes our bodies just don't change as quick as we might like :) Good luck and again Welcome.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think weight loss is different for everyone and we lose at different rates. Even though you are low carbing you might want to look at what you are eating. If you are eating too much protein, it could be adding weight on you. Also I find sometimes I snack a little too much on nuts and cheese which can be detrimental to weight loss. Also have you tried using Coconut Oil. It is a natural fat that can be burned as a fuel. I use it in all my baking. Check out our recipe section, lots of use CO.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Carolina . . . I was lurking on that other board when you got such a scolding - seems to me they could've been a little more gentle with their advice, since you're new to using insulin as well as a newbie on their forum. But that is neither here nor there - I'm glad you found us and I hope you'll make yourself at home here - apart from being nosey & a little goofy sometimes, we're a pretty good gang!

I too, could lose 100 lbs, although I might look a little better if I'd lose only 80 - sometimes we old grannies look better if we have a little padding to fill out th wrinkles! :D

Take care & thank you for joining us!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Carolina, welcome to the forum. I have a lot of affection for Charleston, having gone to high school there in the 60's. It's a great city. :)

Congratulations on the progress you've made. This diabetes thing is a journey, and sounds like you're on the right road!

Weight. You're definitely among friends on this issue, and I'd love to join the 100-lb lost club myself. I've lost close to 50 and another 50 would get me back to the weight I was 30 yrs ago. I'll settle to wherever my body takes me comfortably. But I understand hearing ourselves say "100 lbs to lose" is positively surreal.

So far I've not counted calories, only carbs, but there will be a point I'll need to look at issues like: am I getting enough fiber? fat? too much x? not enough y? A careful log can reveal plenty of info, even though record-keeping can be annoying :) Perhaps finding a free and easy program to enter info would be helpful. There's one called Chronometer that lets you put in what percentages of carbs/fat/protein you want to maintain, has an extensive library of foods, and calculates everything for you.

Are you exercising? Moving around more? Even if you aren't on a formal exercise program, every little bit helps. I've found parking at the back of lots and taking every opportunity to walk more is helpful.

Glad you found us, and welcome to this great informative and supportive place.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello Carolina, from the other side of the pond!

I too had a disappointing experience on another diabetes forum but since I joined up with this gang, I've got to say that I'm almost grateful to the other lot for p....sing me off.

This lot are great - their advice is good and not judgemental - We're all different and this forum recognises that. Some things work for me but might not for you - and vice versa.

I've got an unfair advantage - my wife - she's a great cook and knows how to count carbs. In the period from August last year to the beginning of this year, I lost 30 lbs - eating in excess of 2,000 calories per day. My weight is now down to 152lbs and my HbA1c down from 8.2% to 5.0%.

Hopefully over the next few months you'll have a similar experience. Good luck and again, welcome to the forum.

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, Carolina. Welcome to the forum.

What part of South Carolina are you in? I'm in NE NC, keeping a close watch on the Atlantic. Hopefully you won't be in her path.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts