The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I just joined yesterday and will start using a pump in about 2 weeks. Not new to diabetes (diagnosed type 2 in 2004). Just recently rediagnosed as a type 1.

I just went to a nurse educator and dietician for the first time over my Christmas break. I am now carb counting and learning more than I ever have the entire time I've been diagnosed. I am already seeing improvement in my numbers with the carb counting.

I have been on insulin for about 3 yrs now. Lantus and Humalog.

So ready to start pumping. I am tired of 5 shots a day and feeling like a pin cushion.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hi everyone! I just joined yesterday and will start using a pump in about 2 weeks. Not new to diabetes (diagnosed type 2 in 2004). Just recently rediagnosed as a type 1.

I just went to a nurse educator and dietician for the first time over my Christmas break. I am now carb counting and learning more than I ever have the entire time I've been diagnosed. I am already seeing improvement in my numbers with the carb counting.

So ready to start pumping. I am tired of 5 shots a day and feeling like a pin cushion.

Welcome to the forum and also to the world of pumping. When I first started on the pump I had what seemed like a million questions. I felt like you and was really tired of so many shots per day.

Do you know what kind of pump you will get? I wish you the best and hope you visit often here :)

·
Super Moderator
9,723 Posts
marshagolightly said:
Just out of curiosity how many carbs are they recommending?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@strawberry- I am going to be getting the Omnipod.

@mbuster-The nurse educator and dietician only taught me how carb counting worked. They did not give me the ratios. Told me that was up to my Endo. My Dr. has me doing 1/12 for the carbs and 1/50 for every 50 points I am over 100 when I test pre-meal. He told me we may tweek that once my numbers start to come down. I also take 30u of Lantus a day. 15 in the am and 15 in the pm. My previous dr a GP had me doing the same for the Lantus, but just had me taking 8 of the Humalog at every meal. My numbers have improved GREATLY with the carb counting. I started carb counting Jan 5th.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome and good luck

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@mbuster-my endo wants me to shoot for 60g of carbs per meal. :eek: I am finding that impossible because 1. I just think that is too much and 2. I can't eat that much. It just seemed like a lot of food when measuring out for serving size. I am shooting for about 1/2 that or less.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,723 Posts
marshagolightly said:
@mbuster-my endo wants me to shoot for 60g of carbs per meal. :eek: I am finding that impossible because 1. I just think that is too much and 2. I can't eat that much. It just seemed like a lot of food when measuring out for serving size. I am shooting for about 1/2 that or less.
Thanks, I go to endo next month and want to be ready to counter any carb recommendation over 50-60/day. I guess I need to plan on how many calories per day I think I will need and convert to grams of F/P/C for LCHF

Reactions: marshagolightly

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome!

Hi Marsha - You'll love it here and you'll learn a lot. A great place to get together. I'm a night owl so I'm here at weird times but I enjoy it. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
marsha, I'd like to get a pump also so I'll be checking in with you now and then to see how you like it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rosa, sounds good to me. It should arrive today and I see my nurse educator Wed afternoon after work. Check in all you want. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts