The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I'm a new, live in North.west England.Ive been type1since1975,currently using basal/bonus insulin regime.I'm currently waiting for funding for a pump.Can anyone using a pump give me info on their experience.Thanx.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Alan. Glad you found your way to us - we have quite a few pumpers here & loads of knowledge, experience, wisdom. And here's hoping your funding comes through quickly.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey Alan, Welcome to this forum. Make yourself at home !

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Alan, I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. After 66 years with type 1, I am very healthy. Despite my good health I had unstable blood sugar and too many highs and lows. I knew many online friends who said a pump enabled them to improve their control. It resulted in far fewer highs and lows. My endocrinologist approved of my pumping in 2007. After 62 years of injections, she thought I deserved the opportunity of experiencing the conveniences offered by pumping.

I could write pages of information about pumping, and discuss the ways it has helped me. One of the most important features of pumping is that you can program different basal rates throughout the day. Having basal rates that increase as dawn approaches has eliminated my morning highs.

I suggest that you look at the different forums and click on the discussion that relates to pumping. That discussion is neat the top of one of the forums. There is a book called "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh. I bought my copy on amazon.com. It will give you much great information about using a pump.

Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been an insulin dependent diabetic for 34 years and on the pump over 10 years. It is nice to meet someone who has had diabetes longer than me, so many things have changed in diabetes care over my lifetime. It is a very nice reminder that you can live a long life with diabetes. 30 years ago it was not common to not gave have complications after 10 years. Way to go buddy keep it up.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Been an insulin dependent diabetic for 34 years and on the pump over 10 years. It is nice to meet someone who has had diabetes longer than me, so many things have changed in diabetes care over my lifetime. It is a very nice reminder that you can live a long life with diabetes. 30 years ago it was not common to not gave have complications after 10 years. Way to go buddy keep it up.
There are a few around here who've been diabetic for many many years . . . I hope you'll stick with us and get better acquainted. Thanks for joining us!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks for coming! We're glad you're here!! Hope you come back often. We love it when experienced diabetics can come around and help out with encouragment and advice.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi everyone,I'm a new, live in North.west England.Ive been type1since1975,currently using basal/bonus insulin regime.I'm currently waiting for funding for a pump.Can anyone using a pump give me info on their experience.Thanx.
Welcome Alan. '75 was a great year to be diagnosed :(

Pumping has saved my life. Nine 911's with a high A1C has turned into a 5.6-5.9 A1C with very infrequent and mostly mild hypos. No 911's in five years of pumping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everybody for making me feel welcome. Your info, knowledge and advice has made me feel better about getting a pump. I'll definitely be contributing to the forum and will keep you all informed of my progress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts