The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm Ken, 54, live in northern CT, diagnosed type II 2 months ago. The reason for the provocative subject line is, first, that I'm in communications and I know how to attract an audience! Second, when the doc gave me the blood testing thingy, he said someone would be calling from the hospital to put me in a diabetes class. Well, they never called, and I thought someone from there was going to show me how to jab myself (HATE IT!), but they never called. So I just modified my diet, started taking Metformin 2X/day and promised to lose some weight. But I've had a respiratory infection for going on a while now and I'm going to see him tomorrow and he's probably going to ask me about the testing thing. So I just gathered all my courage, watched an instructional video on You-Tube, and well.... "did it". I scored an 89 which I think for these purposes is better than a 69.... but that's a topic for another time.

I hope sincerely that my candor (honesty) will not tempt someone to reprimand me for "risking my life" or "making light of the thing" or anything like that. I'm pretty sure I'm a late (and light) bloomer and for a couple of months before the diagnosis I was eating carbs like a man trying to do himself in. The diet is actually rather pleasant I'm finding. A couple of times in my life I went on ATKINS and this is a LOT easier than that. I just have to remember to eat regularly. I had a lifelong habit of NOT doing that.

So, what else... I am the luckiest man in the world because I live with the most wonderful woman in the world who says she still loves me after 14 years. I'm a singer/songwriter/guitar player. Barely putting ends together since getting downsized last August, but looking every day - taking any work I can. This is a CRAZY time to be living in. For anyone into the MBTI I am a textbook ENFP type as this post should be ample evidence of. OK - I'll shut-up now & just say "thanks for having me" (Was it good for you too ;-) ??) Keen

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
So Ken? Whazzup with the tags you've attached to your post? conn? enfr? guitar? We can't help you with those, but if you have diabetes questions, I hope you'll pose them as forthrightly as you have your other observations.

Candor is a long suit here also; I only hope you won't continue to presume our responses to your linguistic riffs. Unlike your doctor's staff, you need not clamor to be noticed here. Everyone gets our undivided attention. So with that in mind, what kind of diet are you following? Please say it isn't the standard ADA.

Here are my best wishes for your job search - getting downsized in this day & age has to be as serious a problem as the diagnosis.

Take care & thank you for joining us. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Shanny - I didn't know WHAT to put for tags. I tried to put CT but it wouldn't let me. So I tried to pick-out a couple of the things I had talked about in the post, but I can tell from your response, that wasn't the right answer. I shant presume again. I just looked at what I was writing and suddenly thought, "oh, this was really a pretty stupid way to approach this, and SOME people reading this could risk big if they took such a cavalier attitude", so I won't be surprised if someone else isn't as nice to me as you were.

My diet - I have just taken principles I know to be good. Have been eating fresh fruit, veggies & salads - which I love - nuts, cheese, some meat, more chicken, a little dairy (a weakness) like cottage cheese & yogurt & still some 1% milk - I know - BAD. But if you saw what I WAS eating..... Why do you say their diet is bad?? Keen

So Ken? Whazzup with the tags you've attached to your post? conn? enfr? guitar? We can't help you with those, but if you have diabetes questions, I hope you'll pose them as forthrightly as you have your other observations.

Candor is a long suit here also; I only hope you won't continue to presume our responses to your linguistic riffs. Unlike your doctor's staff, you need not clamor to be noticed here. Everyone gets our undivided attention. So with that in mind, what kind of diet are you following? Please say it isn't the standard ADA.

Here are my best wishes for your job search - getting downsized in this day & age has to be as serious a problem as the diagnosis.

Take care & thank you for joining us. :cool:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Only because the ADA admits that a low-carb way-of-eating is beneficial in treating diabetes, but they categorically refuse to prescribe it officially because their deep-pocketed benefactors have a vested interest in keeping us on meds. Of the top eight sponsors, seven are pharmaceutical companies and the eighth manufactures syringes & other medical equipment.

The healthy diet issue changes up sharply when we get diabetes. All the fruit and whole grains that are pronounced healthy for the general population will kill us slowly.

Once you make friends with that meter of yours (;)), start testing around your meals. Test right before you begin eating, and then test at 1 and 2-hour intervals after the first bite. You will notice a steep increase in your blood sugar when you've eaten fruits & other high-carb foods like bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. We advocate avoiding the foods which bump your blood sugar over 140mg/dl (7.7mmol). This is called eating-to-your-meter, and it's a way of compiling a list of safe foods you can use in preparing your meals. You won't find support for this at your doctor's office or very many other medical institutions, but among well-controlled diabetics, it has many strong adherents.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Ken. Another ENFP here. That's a personality type, Shanny. I'll never forget the dinner I had with a British friend and her son and the friend with us, who talks a lot, asked later what the Hell was going on...we read each others minds and she couldn't get a word in. Meyer's Briggs Inventory if you are curious. The 3 of us were all the same type.

Ken, you must give up all foods containing wheat, pasta, MILK, and other foods like ground growing vegetables for starters. Yogurt and cottage cheese may be okay, but you have to test after eating...we adhere to the meter will tell you what you can eat. See there is no diet correct for all of us. We are all unique, so we let our meters tell us what we can eat safely. The most helpful thing I found was to test foods until I had a 'safe for me' diet list. Fat is not our enemy in fact it our friend if it's saturated. That's right..saturated! Took me a while to wrap my mind around that fact.

I'd suggest you go to Blood Sugar 101 and read what Jenny has to say...there's a lot of wisdom there.

In any case, remember fat is our friend, carbs are not, and Your Mileage May Vary and good luck!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
While I agree with most milk is bad, I have found some that does satisfy the milk desire. I use unsweetened almond milk. At my local market the milk is flavored with either coconut or vanilla and has either 1g or 2g of carbs per 8oz glass. Just one suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi PatDart - I can already see that this is going to be harder than I thought. Question - is ANYTHING the official diabetes association says accurate? I distinctly remember them saying to drink LOWFAT or Non-Fat Milk & yogurt - which I remember thinking went against my carb-knowledge gleaned from ATKINS - higher fats/lower carbs, as you are saying. Also, when you "test" for a food, do you consume JUST that food and then test periodically (15/30 min?). My impulse has been to eat stuff together to slow digestion - a whole-wheat english muffin WITH a hamburger - not by itself. Somewhere on the site they go through the testing thing? Thanks!! Ken PS - When they let me start doing stuff here, let's be "friends/buddies"!!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Again, as you will numerous times, grains and most milks are bad for BG spikes. Speaking from own experience, I ate an ADA breakfast for first two months after DX. It wasn't until I really decided to get control that I measured my breakfast PP readings. Imagine my reaction to a 286! And it was a high fiber breakfast at about 55g net carbs with about 15g of dietary fiber.

Needless to say I stopped that quick!

Now on my LC breakfast, which is about 8-10g depending on how many strawberries I have, will raise me about 10 points! And that new breakfast? Sausage/bacon, eggs, oopsie pancakes, glass of almond milk, and coffee.

I don't really concern myself with calories anymore. All I concern myself with is carbs, the rest will take care of itself.

Good luck and keep those questions coming! Lol

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Ann, I actually laughed out loud when I read that! Long after I'd been tested for MB (which I found intensely rewarding and comforting) a good friend was trying to make up a class at church for Enneagram work and literally begged me to really wake up in time to be there at 8am so the class would make as she lacked only 1 to have their minimum, I agreed with serious misgivings. (Since my teaching days, I just try to never commit to anything before 10 am) Anyway, I tested out as a 1 and the teachers argued with me that I couldn't be a 1, that they never had one in their classes and that I must have mis-answered (is that a word?) some questions. Finally they asked me just why I was there and we all started laughing when I said because a dear friend had literally begged me to please come. Apparently 1's don't turn down helping a friend!

I've not pursued it since because I was happy living my ENFP life and didn't see the benefit of another 'typing'. :)

G

·
Apparently 1's don't turn down helping a friend!
LOL! It's one of the things I like about the Enneagram; it predicts uncannily how people will react in day-to-day situations.

I've not pursued it since because I was happy living my ENFP life and didn't see the benefit of another 'typing'. :)
I got interested in it because the CEO of the council where I was working was keen on it as part of his scheme to get people to work well together and change the culture, and the books he ordered came through the room where my team worked. My sister, coincidentally, had met him at Enneagram classes, and she lent me a couple of her books on the subject. I never got to do the classes because of council amalgamations, but I read some of the books and found it fascinating. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I am the luckiest man in the world because I live with the most wonderful woman in the world who says she still loves me after 14 years.
I believe her since according to your subject line you made her wait 14 years. She's one in a zillion!

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: jojeti and vcooper

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine Ken

·
Registered
554 Posts
INTP here...I probably won't come to the party either but I won't really know for sure until that time...not keen on planning ahead.

G

·
INTP here...I probably won't come to the party either but I won't really know for sure until that time...not keen on planning ahead.
LOL! I tend to be enthusiastic about some social things ahead of time, but when it comes to actually getting ready and going, I don't want to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts