The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am new here. I have had diabetes for several years now, but have just started on insulin three days ago. Up until then I was taking oral meds like metformin and Januvia and Actos UGH! I am taking Levemir and Novolog. 28 units of Levemir at bedtime, and Novolog before meals, 8,8,12. How long does it take for this insulin to get in your system? Is it immediate, or does it take days to work? I seem to feel better, but my numbers aren't coming down any.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Do you take the same amount of fast acting no matter what you eat? You may want to ask your doctor about counting carbs. You figure out what your carb - insulin ratio is and then count the carbs in your meals and decide on the exact amount of insulin needed. Also if you are insulin resistant you may need to go back on the metformin. How many carbs do you typically eat per meal? It is hard to use set doses of insulin because everyone responds different to insulin. If you use the right amount of insulin, it should work immediatly.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Levemir starts to work in 1 to 2 hours and works for ~24 hours
Novalog starts in 20 - 40 minutes peeks in 2 hours trails off for 3 more hours

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Every time I eat something I count the carbs. I use 1 unit of insulin for every 8 carbs for most of the day. At breakfast I need 1 unit for every 6 carbs. Your appropriate ratios would have to be found by trial and error. I saw one person online who takes 1 unit for every 50 carbs. It varies a lot, depending on the person.This method of determining insulin dosages before eating is called carb counting. It is a much better method of controlling blood sugar than using fixed dosages like you are doing now.

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts