The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Started Novolin PH (NPH) today after reacting to Byetta, insurance doesn't cover Levemir ( I didn't feel too great on it anyway and gained weight ) mostly I've ousted almost every diabetes medicine and would love to talk to a chemist. Anyway, what should I expect with Novolin?
Thank you.:)
Judy

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Started Novolin PH (NPH) today after reacting to Byetta, insurance doesn't cover Levemir ( I didn't feel too great on it anyway and gained weight ) mostly I've ousted almost every diabetes medicine and would love to talk to a chemist. Anyway, what should I expect with Novolin?
Thank you.:)
Judy
Hi Judy, I was on NPH for a few months, while I waited to get on Lantus. I didn't like the peak. I don't remember much more, I didn't take it very long.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I'm on Novolin N too. As Breeze says, it's much less level than newer basal insulins. But the peak at 4-10 hours has never bugged me much, possibly because it fits my schedule -- the peak's there for both lunch and dinner. Folks' reactions vary wildly, however.

I take 2 doses: pre-breakfast and pre-dinner. Things go much better when I take the 2 doses about 10-12 hours apart, no further. Since it's slow-acting, I don't have to eat right away after dosing.

It looks like I need to adjust my dosage amount again but, so far, I can't complain about Novolin's behavior.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I like to refer it as the METH of the insulin world. I took it for 20 plus years and was lucky to live through the peaks it had. It put me in the hospital more times than I can count. If I was told that that was all there was to take I would just tell them that I will just have to die then. Expect peaks in its performance which will mean hypos mine were almost always around the 6 hour mark. Make sure you always have something to treat them with. When I say always I mean always. Nevere leave home, not even for a walk around the block, as when the lows come they come faster and harder than most other insulins.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I like to refer it as the METH of the insulin world. I took it for 20 plus years and was lucky to live through the peaks it had. It put me in the hospital more times than I can count. If I was told that that was all there was to take I would just tell them that I will just have to die then. Expect peaks in its performance which will mean hypos mine were almost always around the 6 hour mark. Make sure you always have something to treat them with. When I say always I mean always. Nevere leave home, not even for a walk around the block, as when the lows come they come faster and harder than most other insulins.
Good point. I would never take it if lows were an issue for me. My system, however, likes to skyrocket.

(I take precautions with me anyway, just in case my system decides to slam into reverse.)

So, Judith, please take your own system's behavior into consideration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts