The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
It's very much a YMMV process, dependent on individual factors and metabolic idiosyncrasies.

Your liver may or may not hoard glucose from every carb you consume. It may take many weeks for it to get to the point where it stops gleefully dumping it's EXTRA stores when it believes you need it, whether or not it's true.

So while I've been in ketosis pretty consistently for many months, I don't see extreme changes in weight or waist unless I make sure I'm in DEEP ketosis.

You can be in ketosis and your liver can still have stores to dump. (Dawn phenomenon is a perfect example.) Any time you eat carbs, your body may decide to store it for future use, or use it immediately. It all depends on what your system does.

Reactions: margilowry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That ol' YMMV. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks again, jademuffin!

·
Super Moderator
9,516 Posts
Google Volek and Phinney, Peter Attia, low carb performance

Pardon any spelling errors

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you. I will do just that. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When the doctor lays out specific instructions on how to "ramp up" your new metformin medication, do what he says.

Don't get jiggy with the dose just because it's extended release.

Respect the met.

[This lesson brought to you by the letters O.M.G. and the number 5.] :eek:

·
Registered
801 Posts
And DON'T FORGET TO EAT!:p

·
Super Moderator
9,516 Posts
When the doctor lays out specific instructions on how to "ramp up" your new metformin medication, do what he says.

Don't get jiggy with the dose just because it's extended release.

Respect the met.

[This lesson brought to you by the letters O.M.G. and the number 5.] :eek:
Mine was the number 2. LOL

I better go to bed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hahahaha!

Actually, that was the number of times I was out of bed night before last to "do number 2." ;)

Reactions: mbuster

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, given my question about nutritional ketosis, I read up on it and had a talk with my husband and I'm happy to report that I have a Ketonix on order! So! Excited!

I might be able to lose this tummy after all. . .

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
So, given my question about nutritional ketosis, I read up on it and had a talk with my husband and I'm happy to report that I have a Ketonix on order! So! Excited!
I might be able to lose this tummy after all. . .
You'll be glad you did. Boy will you be surprised at how much fat it takes to get those colors. But that's a good thing. And it's so nice your husband is on board.

The nice thing about the Ketonix is that it's a one-time expense, and you can use it as often as you want - several times a day.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks! I've used the Ketostix for quite a while and I didn't need an expert to tell me they were not doing me much good. I'm like a kid at Christmastime with this. And once again, I'm so glad I Googled in here. :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Hmmm, I can see DH's face if I said I want a Ketonix. Not a pretty sight.

I have a birthday coming up. And I think I know what I want for a gift!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah, I thought it would be a pretty tough sell myself!

However, I had a major meltdown on this past doctor visit -- because of my beautiful swan dive with a twist off the low carb wagon, I got a triglyceride reading of 300! -- the doctor said point-blank that low carb was the way I needed to eat and that if I wanted her to, she'd write a prescription and tell my family that that is the way I MUST eat for the rest of my life.

I've made several changes around how I work. I transcribe from my home office so I was sitting, nearly motionless, for hours upon hours and I've recently gotten a stand-up podium for my laptop and a balance ball for my desk. I also try to get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour or so.

This is all part of my Master Plan to get my lipids back in line and hopefully get this spare tire off of me, but also to keep my blood glucose in normal range.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've made several changes around how I work. I transcribe from my home office so I was sitting, nearly motionless, for hours upon hours and I've recently gotten a stand-up podium for my laptop and a balance ball for my desk. I also try to get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour or so.
I know the feeling. I work from home as well and found I was not moving around near as much as I did when working from the office. I also have to force myself to get up and walk around once in a while. Good suggestions for the stand up podium and ball!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
With both the stand-up podium and the balance ball, I recommend if you do it to start slow. I tried to do the entire day that way the first time I got them and wound up with a very sore back. Now I do an hour or two at a time and switch back to the chair.

As you can see from my previous post about starting up again on metformin, I am hard-headed and want to go 90 miles an hour instead of slow, deliberate steps. I'm still learning. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
In case anyone else is interested, these are the tips I used to select my balance ball. (I have a pretty high desk, so I needed a bigger ball.)

I hope it's okay I post a YouTube link in here. If not, please let me know, Mods, and I'll take it down.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Thanks for posting the video margilowry , I've been thinking of getting an exercise ball for, well, exercise :) but that sealed it and I ordered one tonight. I probably spend way too much time sitting at my desk on the computer, even though I try to get up and walk around from time to time, but this may help. A stand-up desk was another thought I had but I haven't gotten there yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm glad I could help! You all have been so helpful to me I'm happy that I could return the favor in some small way. :)

Reactions: gotsomeold

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I consider I began this journey about two years before I was DXd. Back then I either should have been DXd (but had a doctor who was not concerned and did not know I could test my own BG) or I was way over my head in IR/metabolic syndrome. And my tummy looked like I was a fat, eleven-months-pregnant, old lady.

Cue a lot of lifestyle changes.

For several years I have been a little old lady with a concave tummy and BG under control.

All in all, I'll take it.

It does take time and work. But You CAN do it!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
21 - 40 of 49 Posts