The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I know a GYN friend who believes there is such a thing as "subclinical" PCOS. If there is I might have fit the ticket -- hirsutism, but very regular menses and no visible cyst on endoscopy. I never had a hormone profile run though. I used to have horrible carb cravings and get very sleepy (like I now know I do when BG is high) premenstrually.

BUT, how come I went into DKA and only at menopause, then? It is a mystery.

Controlling BGs and losing weight should help if it is PCOS. SHOULD, not will ...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, My Dr. tested my FSH levels and my progestrone and said they were at normal levels, but my priods are off and I get Really bad anxiety attacks or something that keep me down for a whole week before my period. I get lightheaded feeling like I am going to pass out, nausea bad and tremors. This has been happening for over 4 months now. During this time I have lost 53lbs (might be cut in soda) and went from an A1c of 12 to 5.8 now. My insulin doses have been cut from 20 units of novlog to 6 units and 45 units of levimir to 18 units. My sugars have ran high for years and now I am battling to keep them up. Eating more than ever and still losing weight. Scary!! :( They have tried me on every SSRI possible and they make things worse.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I'd get a 24 hour urinary cortisol, if I were you ... maybe even premenstrual one. It could be ovarian in origin, or it could be adrenal. Just guessing though, no knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
How low is your blood sugar going? Your A1C is great, but obviously that's not the whole story.

Wish I could offer more than sympathy for the way you're feeling - hope you and your doc can figure it out soon!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not going to low but my Dr. wants my sugar to be between 160 and 140 two hours after I eat and they are always under 120. That's why she keeps lowering my insulin. I was getting quit a few lows (under 70) last month. She says if this keeps going on She will probably put me back on oral meds. after 10 years of insulin :) I just wish I could feel better!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd get a 24 hour urinary cortisol, if I were you ... maybe even premenstrual one. It could be ovarian in origin, or it could be adrenal. Just guessing though, no knowledge.
I am so glad you suggested this... A friend of mine suggested to be checked for addison's (adrenal) He said it causes all my symptoms plus low blood sugars. I am going to ask my Dr. about this first thing Monday!!! Seems to me you have knowledge :) THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'm a bit confused about your doctor wanting you between 140-160, cause what I've read is that 120 is ideal after eating and 140 is where the problems begin. What am I missing? I try to keep mine between 80-100 FBG and under 140 at all times after meals.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I'm a bit confused about your doctor wanting you between 140-160, cause what I've read is that 120 is ideal after eating and 140 is where the problems begin. What am I missing? I try to keep mine between 80-100 FBG and under 140 at all times after meals.
I got the same "advice." It's pretty common, albeit Totally Wrong.

I wish I could help with the PMDD issue. All I know is, I'd always had a seriously dysfunctional relationship with "Aunt Flo," and menopause was a nightmare.

Now I know the nightmare was exacerbated by undiagnosed diabetes, and the earlier years' issues were, likely, omens of troubles ahead.

Hopefully more is known now about any relationships among diabetes, PCOS and PMDD, all of which involve hormones and metabolism. But I don't expect many primary-care physicians would be that much up on the subject.

An appointment with a good endocrinologist may be a Good Thing.

Reactions: Mrs.Rucker

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Because my insulin can peak anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 4 hours after I take it. If my sugar is under 160-140 2 hours after I eat by the 3 or 4th hour I get low 80 or under. They think I am getting to much insulin so they are breaking it down. Here they want all insulin dependent diabetics to be under 7.0 for A1c I am at a 5.8 now So I think what they are trying to do is get my insulin down without me crashing???

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Because my insulin can peak anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 4 hours after I take it. If my sugar is under 160-140 2 hours after I eat by the 3 or 4th hour I get low 80 or under. They think I am getting to much insulin so they are breaking it down. Here they want all insulin dependent diabetics to be under 7.0 for A1c I am at a 5.8 now So I think what they are trying to do is get my insulin down without me crashing???
80 is not a true low, though if you're used to being very high, it can feel most weird at first. I like to keep it above 75 and below 120 at all times. That takes me closer to non-diabetic numbers, without crashing below them.

Some folks take smaller meals, like 5 or 6 per day, so they never go 4 hours or more without eating, or eat regular snacks between larger meals.

Reactions: Mrs.Rucker
1 - 14 of 14 Posts