The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i even am doubting myself if its best that i even make this post.

but here goes.

Hey ADULTS, you know what you should and should NOT be eating as it pertains to your own personal diabetes. Doesn't matter if you're new here or been here for a long time. you know better.

i am having a hard time understanding how people can continue to fall off and jump back on "the wagon" i understand that there is something "wrong" with me that i just cant wrap my mind around it, but there it is.

you eat sh*t, you're gonna get fat, you're most likely going to have SERIOUS repercussions down the line. why would anyone subject themselves to it?

i understand and agree that this is the best place to vent about these things, but GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR people.

/rant

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I totally relate to your rant. I work with some Type 2's who do that, and I DO NOT GET IT!

They have to know they are killing themselves, but tee hee, they just could not resist?

And I of course am just a killjoy .... walking around all tight-lipped and disapproving.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It's been hard to watch my brother who has Alpha 1 disease continue to smoke and drink 1/2 a bottle a day knowing that he's already prone to liver and lung disease... not to mention his chronic high bp and cholesterol, yet he continues to do the above as well as eat good ol' southern food and fast food... and now he's anemic on top of all of this... but he doesn't make any lifestyle changes. It sucks to watch others destroy their own health even further.

We have a friend who is diabetic and the guy eats 3 hotdogs for lunch every day and drinks at least 12 beers every night. Since the beginning of the year he's had to call 911 three times because of insulin shock. There's also all kinds of other things he does that are self-destructive, but I don't discuss that here. He knows what he's supposed to do...he's been dealing with this since he was a child, but he chooses not to.

And then, speaking as someone who has fallen off the wagon and gotten back on... sometimes you just don't want to deal with it...yeah it's stupid, but there it is. Not all of us have iron willpower or motivation to make the changes we need to. It may be easy for some, but not for others.

It's kind of like my passion for birth and how many women don't want to take responsibility or educate themselves...then they wonder, how come this went wrong? I could vent about it all day and I could explain how the choices they made led them there, but I have to be more considerate and realize they aren't going to change the way they think until they are ready to. Nothing I say is going to change their minds, they have to want to do it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I agree with that Eric
, but I also know I'm one of the ones who cave in . . . I very nearly caved in tonight. Supper was done, time for dessert, and I had three things to offer: s/f chocolate pudding, s/f gelatin, or a large Symphony bar that DH had picked up at the grocery yesterday. I knew as well I'm sitting here that if he chose the Symphony bar, I would take a bite of it. Even as I spoke the words I KNEW it! (lucky for me, I don't know where he's KEEPING it! :D) But bless his ornery old soul, he chose s/f pudding, so I had s/f gelatin. Whew!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Eric

I am a relative newbie here so I don't know much about your history. What I do know is that sometimes even when people try very hard and do the things the doctor tells them to do - things don't always turn out favorably. I can change many things in my life, but the one thing I can't change is genetics. At the present time, genetics are creating major problems in my life - and I don't know if I will win the battle or not.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Many of us were carb addicts before diabetes. Even after eating 4 years of low carb I still have carb cravings and I admit once in awhile I give in. I know I shouldn't but I rationalise it because most of my numbers are under 100. But I know 1 day of cheating gives me 3 or 4 days of bad numbers. From trial and error I know what I can eat and can't eat. My husband is also a diabetic and still believes he can eat anything he wants, as long as he exercises.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I know when I fall of the wagon I'm going to ahve to pay for it either by working out more or w/ higher sugars (and bigger frustrations)

·
Registered
213 Posts
i am having a hard time understanding how people can continue to fall off and jump back on "the wagon" i understand that there is something "wrong" with me that i just cant wrap my mind around it, but there it is.
I am one of the jumpers, and here is why. There is no "the wagon" - just lots of wagons, and each has its supporters and research backing it up. So far, my best wagon for controlling blood sugar has been vegan, but my other problem (progressive weight loss beyond what is reasonable) gets out of control.

Is type 2 diabetes one illness with one cause? If not, is it possible that different diets will be effective with one, but not others? Is my sugar metabolism the same as others with the same glucose scores?

Are we a little too sure that what works for us will work for everyone else? Are we passing judgment on other people's methods just a little too quickly?

So, that is my own rant. I also had reservations about posting it, but I think this forum is strong enough to survive disagreements among members. At least, I hope it is.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yes it may sound self-righteous. Arrogant. Presumptuous.

Thing is though, I understand people who behave this way ... and I still feel frustration with them! So ... to my way of thinking ... vent away, Eric. It is one more facet of dealing with this [email protected] disease.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm usually pretty strong, I just don't know enough yet to always make wise choices.

But I *DO* understand that many people have eating disorders... some are as simple as being "emotional eaters", others much more difficult.

I do know one young man who's driving me crazy though, because I care about him and his family and want him to be healthy. He's a 20 year old Type 1 (insulin injector, no pump) who just can't get his blood glucose under control. He consistently has A1c's in the 9% range.

I was talking to him the other day and he mentioned he loves things like potatoes, chips, etc., and just can't seem to cut them out... I was stunned. No wonder his blood glucose is where it is...

I gave him the forum URL and invited him here. But he will only change when he's ready to.

G

·
hehehe... gotta have the rants sometimes heh. :D Well I like looking at the whole person and I reckon everyone goes through seasons with everything in life including the D we all have. I'm thinking of a person right now I know and I can think they're just been stupid and foolish with ignoring the D they have.... but then I look again and I'm thinking they haven't got their head in the right space right now at all and they have lots of issues they're dealing with... of course they're going to ignore taking care of the D! they don't want to face another major issue. People tend to prioritise things in their lives. For some that means health is very important, and for others they would rather live it up and enjoy themselves and not worry about the consequences. One of my brothers used to always jokingly quote "eat healthy, live healthy, and die anyway"... well maybe that's some peoples motto in life? We all go through seasons and we re-prioritise things and we learn to deal with stuff in our own time. I guess there is some of us who are talented with continuous willpower (or we have good resources in our lives), and there are some who have a facade happening... I think we all know people who talk the talk and don't walk the walk. Well yeah I could go on and on and on... lol. You get the picture though... we're not all painted with the same brush... we've got different experiences and issues we are all dealing with.... some of it within our control and some of it just isn't... so maybe we shouldn't get so mad (not good for the D anyhow)?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
i even am doubting myself if its best that i even make this post.

but here goes.

Hey ADULTS, you know what you should and should NOT be eating as it pertains to your own personal diabetes. Doesn't matter if you're new here or been here for a long time. you know better.

you eat sh*t, you're gonna get fat, you're most likely going to have SERIOUS repercussions down the line. why would anyone subject themselves to it?

i understand and agree that this is the best place to vent about these things, but GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR people.

/rant
Well...this one is tough because in a way I agree with you...but in a way..not. I think that many times with T2 diabetics, part of the problem is simply ignorance. I dont mean that in a bad way...it is just true. Many of them think "as long as I avoid candy and dessert I am ok" and they dont really know that bowl of oatmeal and fruit is killing them just as much. You also have some that simply do not want to give up the things that they must give up and would rather just live in a state of denial. In my opinion, you cant really do anything to help people at this stage until they want to be helped. I do find it to be frustrating, and when they continue to ask for advice, and then ignore the advice and still complain....at that point I just stop giving it and move on in order to save my own sanity :)

One thing that makes it so difficult is that what might be crap for you to eat...or for me to eat...may be perfectly ok for the next person to eat. It is all so individual depending on the stage or type of disease we have. All we can really do is find what works for us and try to support others as best we can without losing our own good mental health :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I totally relate to your rant. I work with some Type 2's who do that, and I DO NOT GET IT!

They have to know they are killing themselves, but tee hee, they just could not resist?

And I of course am just a killjoy .... walking around all tight-lipped and disapproving.
Yes, they know. They just dont *know* it is as serious as it is. I was one of those people many years ago. I had no complications, I was still producing my own insulin at that point and just "having to take a few pills" and thought it was really "not that big of a deal". Of course, years later when I no longer produced insulin on my own anymore and started having neuropathy issues I wished I could have turned back the clock and maybe *knew* a little more. But, as they say, hindsight is 20/20. I just try to be a good example and offer advice when I am asked. I find unsolicited advice is often ignored the most.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yes, Type 2 often sneaks up on people, and when they were given the cavalier advice by an RD to "just avoid sweets," they become selective in recall, even after being told to do MORE, later.

I sometimes feel blessed by that A1c of 12.5 and DKA, at diagnosis. Scared the @!#~! out of me, as any D dx pretty well should.

Type 2 can creep ... so people get away with more at first, and, of course, go years without TESTING! Bless 'em!

Even understanding all that, it is STILL frustrating to have a FB friend who "likes" every crappy fast joint and chain restaurant, in creating, for the coupons ... :eek: It is hard not to comment or worry about him.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm usually pretty strong, I just don't know enough yet to always make wise choices.

But I *DO* understand that many people have eating disorders... some are as simple as being "emotional eaters", others much more difficult.

I do know one young man who's driving me crazy though, because I care about him and his family and want him to be healthy. He's a 20 year old Type 1 (insulin injector, no pump) who just can't get his blood glucose under control. He consistently has A1c's in the 9% range.

I was talking to him the other day and he mentioned he loves things like potatoes, chips, etc., and just can't seem to cut them out... I was stunned. No wonder his blood glucose is where it is...

I gave him the forum URL and invited him here. But he will only change when he's ready to.
This is another area where its hard to be able to deal with all diabetics evenly. While I agree that all diabetics can only get really good control when they want to modify their behaviors and really be strict with it, the way they go about it is going to be different.

For instance, i think that carb restriction is more imperative in the T2 diabetic. Especially the T2 that is still able to control their disease with diet, exercise and maybe oral medication. They need to be very particular in their diet choices.

In T1s, it is helpful for them to curb their carb intake also, but more important is for them to be very strict in counting their carbs and making sure to properly cover what they are eating with the correct dose of insulin. They need to be more aware of exact nutritional content of the foods they are eating. They can usually tolerate more carbs than a T2 because they do not have the insulin resistance issue that T2s have. They just need to be meticulous in dosing their insulin to get good control.

hehehe sometimes it seems like giving perfect advice to all the diabetics we may run across in our lives is like herding cats...darn near impossible :p

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Unfortunately I am one of the people with Type 1 who does have insulin resistance and plenty of it. It takes a lot of 'good choices' as far as food and plenty of exercise to even begin to keep it under control for me. And it seems the more insulin I use, the more I tend to put on extra weight (which I want to lose and never find again).

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Unfortunately I am one of the people with Type 1 who does have insulin resistance and plenty of it. It takes a lot of 'good choices' as far as food and plenty of exercise to even begin to keep it under control for me. And it seems the more insulin I use, the more I tend to put on extra weight (which I want to lose and never find again).
Yeah I am totally feeling your pain there! I am sort of in the same boat. I am T2 that is pretty insulin resistant...and I also no longer produce my own insulin. It is really tough being stuck in the middle like that and for sure has aggravations all of its own! Its seems no matter what your situation is at least it helps so much to have places like this to vent and have people that understand to listen :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
What are your avg TDDs, Strawberry and onaugh?

Curious ... I am quite sensitive at this point, taking met 2000 mg per day and TDD is only 12U! (obviously early times!).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts