The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... who referred to Type 2's who have chosen a horrible lifestyle, as being oh, so different from herself.

This was on a FB page. But anyhow ... I really become frustrated when T1's presume ANYTHING about T2s' "personal responsibility for their condition." I even pointed out that I doubted she was familiar with current T2 research on the topic, but, then again, perhaps she did not also "believe in" low-carbing (it's a low-carbing page)?

I understand the desire not to be associated with "those fat people," and also to feel like an innocent victim, but I do wish the popular press had never represented T2 as self-determined sinners of some kind, deserving their fate of diabetes. I am sorry T1's get painted with that same brush, but I also sincerely wish they would educate themselves about T2 and its causes ... we need more solidarity and less divisiveness!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I understand the frustration! I was a skinny ballet dancer when my insulin resistance kicked in at 16. I never had junk food...my mom didn't buy chips, or soda, or candy, or cookies, or anything like that.

Now, in my later years, I did the wrong thing and didn't eat as well as I should have...and it did develop into Type 2. But the predisposition was there from an early age, and even if I had taken care of myself, the odds are that I still would have developed it at some point in life.

But it's cyclical too... being hypothyroid and insulin resistant made it easy to gain weight and hard to lose it...and with increased weight you get more insulin resistant... so it's been a lifelong struggle for me.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I know this response (mine) isn't scientific but :) I was watching House the other night and Dr House was saying a similar things about lung cancer...that people don't think it fits in with 'real' cancer where the people didn't do anything to get it like smoke...as if anyone deserves pain...

I get angry too...but I've decided I'm going to talk about my diabetes to everyone lol...they need to be educated and I'm tired of people looking at me like if only I ate properly (like they do) I wouldn't have diabetes

Reactions: Cadydid

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wd, I was in dance too -- in college! I had like 10 yrs of classical ballet training. My top weight in college was 110, and I even went down to 95 a couple times -- too low.

And I also am hypoT, as part of the whole Autoimmune polyglandular syndrome.

This woman went off on me, "do I look like I do not care of myself," and "Get the hell over it." I reported her. She is making a LOT of ignorant assumptions, including that one must be obese to be T2. I think there may be a psychiatric / mental illness component to her posts too.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this response (mine) isn't scientific but :) I was watching House the other night and Dr House was saying a similar things about lung cancer...that people don't think it fits in with 'real' cancer where the people didn't do anything to get it like smoke...as if anyone deserves pain...

I get angry too...but I've decided I'm going to talk about my diabetes to everyone lol...they need to be educated and I'm tired of people looking at me like if only I ate properly (like they do) I wouldn't have diabetes
Good for you D33na! A dear friend's father passed away a couple years ago from lung cancer. He had never smoked, yet got the type most often associated with smoking. It was incredibly sad. I think it changed my friend's thinking on assumption made about control over health, for good.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I started ballet when I was 3, and was in the top level of a ballet company at 15. It was my life. But I was always "wider" or "bigger" than the other girls... not chubby or fat... but not willowy thin either. Stocky. Solid. I was an awesome jumper, able to do more rotations and beats than any other. I had a bad knee injury that kind of ruined all that, but I still danced some and I taught. But my weight ballooned up dramatically my first year of college.

I miss it. And one of my motivators for losing weight is because I want to step back into a ballet studio one day, even if it's just the beginning adult class. It's my meditation, my therapy. LOL

I also love tap.

d33na... I also get angry at all the misinformation out there. I've been touting whole foods / low carb / high fat for years, but my parents just look at me like "yeah right, you're fat, it doesn't work" ... so I'm making a point to stick to it like glue and shed the pounds so I can prove it does work if you stick to it. Already lowered my A1c and cholesterol. So that's a bit of proof.

Reactions: foxl and thisstinks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
After getting to know all of my wonderful Type 2 friends here, it is easy for me to take up the banner for you guys when I have a discussion with people. I almost always get that, "Oh, you're Type 1. You aren't repsonsible like some diabetics" bull. I almost always say, "Hey, guess what, I was really fat before I was diagnosed and I know several people who were young and/or normal body size that became Type 2." I weigh about 60 LBS less now than I did when I was diagnosed.

Are there things that can be done to delay or prevent Type 2, maybe. Sometimes it is as simple as that genetic predisposition. I try to fight for you guys every chance I get. It frustrates me as much as it does you when people make these sweeping generalizations without knowing anything about the disease.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Joshua -- I do, too!

I was obese before diagnosis, but lost a lot right before, and more after. Now I am barely into the overweight range.

I know Type 1's who developed insulin resistance. I know Type 1's who became obese -- even on pumps. I know Type 1's without antibodies. I know Type 1's who are slender with massive insulin resistance. I know Type 1's with diabulemia. (HEY -- come to think of it ... I do wonder if this was not one of them!).

I know Type 2's diagnosed while slender. I know Type 2's who were obese, but became slender, but still were medication or insulin-dependent. I know Type 2's who have low or no insulin resistance.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I know a Type 2 who was pretty fit, gym every day, and only needed to go on Met to take care of his high BG.

It just irritates me when we place all of these carte blanche stereotypes. It's not like Type 2s set out to become diabetic anymore than I did! I remember feeling so guilty when I was diagnosed and there was nothing I could do about it. The media has made us all out to be bad people and I think the easiest way to fight it is to stand up!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know a Type 2 who was pretty fit, gym every day, and only needed to go on Met to take care of his high BG.

It just irritates me when we place all of these carte blanche stereotypes. It's not like Type 2s set out to become diabetic anymore than I did! I remember feeling so guilty when I was diagnosed and there was nothing I could do about it. The media has made us all out to be bad people and I think the easiest way to fight it is to stand up!
Exactemente. I told her that she should not comment if she was ignorant of a topic, kaithxbai and she persisted, saying that HER diabetes was not her fault, I misunderstood her (yep, I SURE DO!), and that in the case of Type 2's, it IS their faults. Not responding again.

She has heard of Taubes, but refuses to read him.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you don't mind, send me a PM with the facebook page. I would kind of like to see it...

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did! Now the moderator is asking me what I hope to accomplish ... well, not much lost if he kicks me out -- they are higher carb than I.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Good for you D33na! A dear friend's father passed away a couple years ago from lung cancer. He had never smoked, yet got the type most often associated with smoking. It was incredibly sad. I think it changed my friend's thinking on assumption made about control over health, for good.
I'm usually um patient with people...but with my son's disabilities and constantly having to explain his condition and then people not thinking before they speak about things they know zilch about...lol I think I'm over being nice...time to be a crazy old lady...how does the poem go...something about dying my hair purple and wearing a red hat...there sure isn't much to be gained by being quiet

My son was 15 and diagnosed with diabetes...the doctor's called is a side effect of anti-psychotic medication...he doubled his body weight in 3 months...some side effect...

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Uh huh -- I have a couple friends who became diabetic due to those meds! SO not fair ... I forgot that category of Type 2's!

·
Registered
741 Posts
yi ha foxy one go get them!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I took a read and it looked to me like you were right in line. She refused to put any reason in her argument at all. There's no way you can argue with someone like that. People like her give us a bad name and there's no way to get around it. If people only looked at the facts, we would all be better off. But when we have the MSM, even the ADA, touting this crap about Type 2s being responsible and overweight and unwilling to work towards a better life, we end up here.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Me too, please.

Sorry to be late to the party - preparing to tear down the laptop & install a new keyboard in a little bit - wish me luck. My first attempt at hardware repair . . . :eek:
I'll forward the PM...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts