The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have had a spike that I don't understand. I've only tested 3 times today with these results (and what I've eaten:

6am 116
8am bacon and eggs
11 am 112
2:30 pm steak, green beans and sm. serving of salad
5:30 pm 140

The green beans were the biggest serving on my plate. Could that, with the salad have caused the spike?

Has anyone found that Crystal lite causes it to rise. The last few days I've felt kind of fuzzy headed and nauseous but didn't know if it's from the Metformin or because my body is getting used to the lower bg.

The only other thing I had (before the steak) was peanuts, but still that was more than 4 hrs before this last test. I guess I'll take my second dose of Met and then test one more time before bed. I just hate to see it jump up when I haven't even had a piece of fruit or anthing!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I sure wouldn't think it would be the green beans - my nutrition analysis thing says a whole bloomin' cupful is only 3 or 4 net carbs. But I guess anything's possible . . . any sneaky sweetener in the salad dressing, mebbe?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
If you had tested just before the 2:30 meaql, you may have found that you were already somewhat high. The meal might not be the only reason for the 140 test result.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sure wouldn't think it would be the green beans - my nutrition analysis thing says a whole bloomin' cupful is only 3 or 4 net carbs. But I guess anything's possible . . . any sneaky sweetener in the salad dressing, mebbe?
Nope...it was a little drizzle of ranch, not even a "serving" that has 2 carbs of which 1 is sugar.

You know what? I just realized that I had to give myself my Enbrel shot today and I wonder if it has any affect on my bs.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you had tested just before the 2:30 meaql, you may have found that you were already somewhat high. The meal might not be the only reason for the 140 test result.
That's true, Richard. I'm trying to get into a routine that I can stick to (excuse the pun lol) and today was the first day that I decided to have my biggest meal in the afternoon so I should have waited to test right before.

I'm still pretty new at this and trying to get used to the testing and always thinking about what I'm going to eat and when to eat it. I feel obsessed with trying to find some kind of balance.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I eat my biggest meal at noon. That helps preventing late evening and nightime highs.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Once a week. Last Thursday bs shot up to 150 but I had drank a large crystal light slurpee (which I think has about 11 carbs). Actually it looks like I have one high reading every day....
I get a spike from crystal light occasionally. It contains some maltodextrin.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've finally had a full 5 days with nothing over 120 for fasting or after meals! I'm very happy about this and have an A1c test order that I will do in late July....last one (7.6) was done in April and I've only been on Metformin for 2 months so I want to make sure I get the best possible reading.

I'm also researching apple cider vinegar for help in bringing down blood glucose:

Apple Cider Vinegar

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was using vinegar for awhile to combat dawn phenomenon . . . mebbe I oughta start that again! Thanks for the reminder, Diana!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I've finally had a full 5 days with nothing over 120 for fasting or after meals! I'm very happy about this and have an A1c test order that I will do in late July....last one (7.6) was done in April and I've only been on Metformin for 2 months so I want to make sure I get the best possible reading.

I'm also researching apple cider vinegar for help in bringing down blood glucose:

Apple Cider Vinegar
Awesome! Isn't it great when you feel like you are finally getting somewhere? I bet your next A1C is going to show some progress :) I am looking forward to my next one also!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome! Isn't it great when you feel like you are finally getting somewhere? I bet your next A1C is going to show some progress :) I am looking forward to my next one also!
Yes, yes, yes!! :) It's a true feeling of accomplishment and definitely better than the feelings of guilt that most of us have in the beginning.:eek:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, trying to figure out something. I've been reading about beans and it sounds like it's a godsend food for diabetics. "If you have insulin resistance, hypoglycemia or diabetes, navy beans can really help you balance blood sugar levels while providing steady, slow-burning energy." Here's the page if you want to read all the benefits of eating beans.

So yesterday I made some and today I had a bowl and here's my results.....

1. I'm feeling bloated for one....I used beano so there's no gas, but I feel full.
2. My bs was 106 before I ate the beans
3. 1 1/2 hrs later it is 137

My question is....did I test too soon? Is it how far it comes down after 2 hrs that is important, not how high it went? Thanks for any feedback and I hope everyone has a great Holiday weekend!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Beans are a mixed blessing, I think. I can eat a little bit, but I have to be careful. No more bowls of ham & beans like I've loved all my life. :( Mebbe a coupla spoonfuls of black beans in my burrito or salad. I get a spike from them too.

You didn't test too soon . . you prob'ly had a higher spike than your 1½ hour reading shows. Usually we're told that we should be on our way back to pre-meal levels by the 2-hour mark.

There's no right or wrong about it . . . which hour to test depends on what information you want: 1 hour tells you how about how high you go, and 2 hours tells if you're coming back down soon enough.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Beans are a mixed blessing, I think. I can eat a little bit, but I have to be careful. No more bowls of ham & beans like I've loved all my life. :( Mebbe a coupla spoonfuls of black beans in my burrito or salad. I get a spike from them too.

You didn't test too soon . . you prob'ly had a higher spike than your 1½ hour reading shows. Usually we're told that we should be on our way back to pre-meal levels by the 2-hour mark.

There's no right or wrong about it . . . which hour to test depends on what information you want: 1 hour tells you how about how high you go, and 2 hours tells if you're coming back down soon enough.
Ahhhhh....I see now. I'm sure I ate too many beans, but I'll know better next time. 3 hrs after the beans, I'm at 124. Guess I'll quit experimenting and just stick to meat and veggies. I even had an 81 the other day....that's the lowest reading I've had. Still going to finish those beans though.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Shanny, cinnamon can also be used as a supplement to lower BG's. I know there are cinnamon tablets sold at drugstores. Unless I am badly mistaken there are vinegar tablets too. I might be mistaken though.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanny, cinnamon can also be used as a supplement to lower BG's. I know there are cinnamon tablets sold at drugstores. Unless I am badly mistaken there are vinegar tablets too. I might be mistaken though.
You're right, Richard . . . there ARE vinegar tabs too - I think I might see about finding some!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts