The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn it, I can't find the thread where Jwags put her recipe for her brownie/fudge so I'm just going to start this thread. Her recipe called for 1/2 cup chocolate whey powder, 1/2 almond or peanut butter, sweetener to taste, a bit of cream to make the 'dough' mixable, and some pecans or other nuts. As I'm very allergic to whey, I decided to try making some with egg white powder instead of the whey and so I made some yesterday when some friends were coming over. I played with her recipe a bit and used all the chocolate unsweetened powder I had, about a 1/4 cup, as well as the egg powder, chunky peanut butter, the last of my walnuts, a few shakes of Toriani Chocolate syrup, Truvia and found the 'dough' pretty darned hard to mix, so I popped the bowl in the microwave for about a half minute so soften the peanut butter and put in a plastic container to freeze for a bit. I would use a glass container if I do it again by the way. It was very difficult to get pieces out of the plastic.....not sure why with all the fat in it, but it didn't come out well.

It did work, and my guests liked it a lot. I'm not really a sweet person, so I will have it on hand for a while. I liked it. They said they couldn't tell it was low carb. I wished I had put a few drops of vanilla in it, but it was already in the pan to set up.

Since it was an experiment to see if I could substitute egg white powder for whey, it worked fine. Now to see if I can use it for other recipes.

Wish we could compare. I would never compare it to brownies, only fudge, so there may be a difference.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Here is a link to Jwag's brownie recipe.

Thanks for posting the results of your experiment. Glad it turned out well. I'd like to give it a try. Can I buy egg white powder at the grocery store, or do I have to get it online?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it at the sorta local health food store but have ordered it from Nutrition. It works well in shakes. This was my first time to substitute it in a recipe. It's sorta hard to mix in, so I'd mix it thoroughly before adding liquids. Maybe whey does the same thing....I don't know.

Thanks for the link....I hunted high and low and somehow missed it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
MCS has a great brownie recipe. He puts equal amounts of peanut butter and coconut oil and cocoa in the microwave. He then adds flaxseed ( ground and whole) and sweeten to taste and then freezes it. I find if you put waxed paper under the fudge before you freeze it you then can pull it out easier and break apart. The first piece is usually the hardest to take out.

Add nuts or coconut if you want to. I think the best low carb recipes are all experiments. I've only had a few that didn't come out so well.

Reactions: MCS
1 - 4 of 4 Posts