The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever made these. I found a bunch of recipes online and they seem so easy. All the comments on the recipes say they taste great, similar to a potato chip. I am trying to get more greens into my diet so this might kill two birds with one stone.

Kale Chips

1 bunch of Kale or a big bag of Kale
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt, seasoned salt or any spice you want

Tear leaves of stem into bite size pieces. Wash in a salad spinner and dry well. You don't want any water left on pieces or they will steam not bake. Spread on a cookie tin with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and spice. Bake 10-15 minutes at

·
Registered
78 Posts
once i get started eating them, i can't seem to stop. one time i made several batches using 3 large bunches of kale. within a couple of hours they had disappeared.

this is how i did them
Imablog – Kale chips

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, you guys convinced me. I have a big bag of kale in the fridge and will make them tonight. I saw all the comments on the blogs and they were similar to yours. Sometimes I really miss that salty crunch. What spices do you put on or just salt.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just made them. They still taste like kale to me, but they are crunchy and salty. They remind me of the Seaweed snacks. I wouldn't say they taste like potato chips but they are not bad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've experimented with plain kosher salt, a cajun seasoning mix, old bay and a few others. i kind of like old bay on my kale chips. it's pretty easy to experiment with.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put them in a tupperware container and put a lid on it. This morning they were a little limp, so I popped them back in the oven and they got super crispy. I think the solution is make a small batch at a time. I like the idea of Old Bay seasoning. When I was shopping today, I walked in the Grocery Store and right at the front of the store there was a display of gourmet Kale chips. They were charging $6.49 for a few ounces. I also looked online to see if you could do it with other veggies. Sure enough I found recipes for Baked Cauliflower popcorn chips, carrot chips, cabbage chips and spinach chips. A whole new world has been opened for me.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
A chinese restaurant I used to frequent (heavily) used kale cut into strips (like Easter basket grass, LOL) seasoned with salt, garlic powder, sugar and sesame oil, sprinkled with sesame seeds, and roasted -- just like ours!

They called it "false" seaweed salad. It'd be EASY to duplicate!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts