Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Keeping Track and Making Changes?

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Shanny 
#1 ·
As I have mentioned earlier, I am a newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetic. Recently I have had a very hard time trying to get my blood sugars in range. I am committed to making changes to get better control, however, I simply dont know where to start. Should I increase my basal rate on my pump? Should I increase my insulin/carb ratio on my pump? So I ask this... Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I can start recording my glucose values before and after meals, my exercise during a given period and how different carb choices effect my blood sugar levels. I look forward to hearing any suggestions any of you may have.

Michael

#2 ·
Hello Michael, I have T2 diabetes and take MDI. Hopefully, a T1 member will come by and give you some tips. Enjoy the forum and read what interests you and I hope you visit often and take care.

#3 ·
When I was first diagnosed I wrote down everything I ate and the portion size. I also kept (still keep) a log of all the blood glucose readings I get when I'm testing before or after meals. This allowed me to look at certain foods and help determine what foods and portion sizes do to my bg. It was very helpful. I don't keep a log anymore but I do still measure my carb intake and eat roughly the same amount of carbs every day for the respective meals (15 grams at breakfast, 45 grams at lunch and 15 grams at dinner) since this means I don't have to do any math to figure out how much insulin to take.
I hope this helps and good luck!

#4 ·
Joshua Shorter said:
When I was first diagnosed I wrote down everything I ate and the portion size. I also kept (still keep) a log of all the blood glucose readings I get when I'm testing before or after meals. This allowed me to look at certain foods and help determine what foods and portion sizes do to my bg. It was very helpful. I don't keep a log anymore but I do still measure my carb intake and eat roughly the same amount of carbs every day for the respective meals (15 grams at breakfast, 45 grams at lunch and 15 grams at dinner) since this means I don't have to do any math to figure out how much insulin to take.
I hope this helps and good luck!
Thanks for the advise joshua. I appreciate it. I have one more question for you if its not to much trouble. Did you simply use a bg journal or did you create your own record system to establish trends with exercise for example? Im just wondering the best way to record for easy and accurate understanding of the results.

Michael

#5 ·
I am reaching the point I need to keep neater, clearer records for my endo.

If you go to Integrated Diabetes' website, Gary Scheiner has designed some nice logsheets, I think including pumping ones.

I only record grams of carb and insulin amts. at this point.

#6 ·
You should use Carelink and download your pumps information. And if you are using a linked meter it makes keeping track of things so much easier. It will create a trends graph for you so you can see where to adjust.

#9 ·
I actually developed a spreadsheet for the food and exercise portion of my record and I use a diabetes journal to record my BG and insulin intake.
Here is a PDF version of my form. You can use it as you wish or you can take and modify the portions you would like to change. :D

Attachments

#10 ·
Michael, the book "Pumping Insulin" will help with the issues you have mentioned. Don't ever expect to get perfect control. I try to stay in the range 70-130. I am comfortable there. Many people would have trouble at the lower end of that range, but I have adjusted to it very well with my Minimed pump. I stay in that range about 90% of the time. I could not do that without a pump.

I have used trial and error and found my insulin:carb ratios and my insulin sensitivity levels. Both vary throughout the day for me, and yours may vary for you. A lot of trial and error may be needed to deal with that. The book that I mentioned addresses these items. Basal testing is very important in order to stay in range. That is addressed in your pump manual, and in the book mentioned above.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

#11 ·
Do you use a meter that links with your pump? I use the One Touch Ultralink. Whenever I check my blood sugar, it automatically sends it to my pump. Makes it easier to set my pump for bolus if I am taking one at that time and it stores all the info in one place. I use Carelink to download my pump and it compiles all the info into all kinds of neat little graphs and tables for you. Makes it easy to track trends that way.

#13 ·
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but it's good to have all the facts before you jump in. Michael isn't quite as new to this as you are. You may not have read the previous posts where he confided the information that he was diagnosed three years ago. That may well be plenty of time to graduate to a pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.