The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to how many of us keep our diabetes a secret. I know I do and make up reasons why I don't have this or that at work. Personally I would like to keep it a total secret from everyone. I really don't want anyone to know. I did tell a waiter once in Chicago as he was bugging me about desert and then he went on a rant about the fact I was the skinniest diabetic he has seen and then onto all the people in his family which were diabetic. I read somewhere that it is close to 1 in 10 people are diabetic. I am curious how many of us hide it and how many freely express it or are totally indifferent about whether people know or don't know.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I told my kids and they don't believe me, but I tell waiters easily so they'll exchange my foods on the plate to things I can have. Some of my friends know, but I don't make a big deal of it, since I don't have a solid diagnosis. I found a report on blood work the other day from 2004 and my glucose was 134 and no doctor ever mentioned it to me. Now, it's always around 100 when I have blood work done, with my half numb feet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm very discreet in this regard. I'm T2 but prefer not to disclose my disease to everyone. If someone is persistent about why I'm not eating bread/rice/dessert etc, I just say that I'm watching my blood sugar and that is normally the end of the story. Perhaps I'm in denial but I hate the disease as well as the word diabetes and prefer not to draw too much attention to the fact that I'm diabetic. I never ever make a story about my situation and will never ask for special dietary arrangements to be made for me when eating out or when eating with friends/family. I just eat what fits in with my low carb lifestyle and keep a low profile.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I am pretty spastic when it comes to sharing personal info. Sometimes I will tell people waaaay too much and regret it later and other times I won't tell my own family things because I don't want to answer questions or deal.

I kept it a secret at work for 6+ months before I just lost it when someone was being a jerk to me, pushing cookies or something. I got flustered and practically shouted "look I have diabetes, leave me alone, okay?!". Things got better at the office afterwards. :D

With family I told them within a month or two but no one beyond my husband seems to understand that yes, it's permanent and that yes, just one cookie will cause me problems.

Telling others seems to be a bigger deal than it really is. Though maybe that has more to do with how "okay" I am feeling about the diagnosis than how other people feel/react... Not really sure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So far, I've only told a select few people, mainly because my habits have changed far too much to go unnoticed. Can't hang with my pals at a local establishment to watch a Blackhawks game and suddenly have a salad and a diet pop instead of the usual pizza and beer without having anyone wonder what's up.

I have determined, though, that (for now) I'm not going to inform my in-laws about it, but that's because they already introduce their uninformed and unsolicited opinions into our lives too much as it is. "Diabetes? Oh, I read about that once. You're going to go blind!" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don`t keep it a secret at all.
Since I have to share the rest of my life with diabetes, I think its only fair I get something back. For example when eating out and I dont want the potatoe, but instead want more weggies or a salad.
I admit it; I get things like I want without any arguments at all when I tell I`m diabetic.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I don't keep it a secret, but I don't advertise, either. Sometimes, full disclosure is the only way to keep folks from shoving whole bakeries in one's face ... and sometimes, even that doesn't work. (I know a lot of non-observant diabetics. Only the Magic Word -- insulin -- holds them at bay. Sort of.)

Part of me wants to raise diabetes awareness, another part is far more interested in promoting low-carb awareness, and yet another part just wants to live, let live and be left alone. Which one predominates? Depends on the phase of the moon.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm completely open.

Diabetes has had an effect on me far beyond diabetes, i.e. in the way I see healthcare, the pharma industry, faulty/lying/misleading research, and long-held assumptions about low-fat, heart disease, cholesterol, saturated fat, and more. It has affected my approach to other health issues. There's no way in conversation to reference this sea change without the diabetes frame of reference. I’ve devoted so much time and energy to diabetes this year that it would seem unnatural to hide it. And, for me, it would give diabetes (or any negative sterotyping) too much power.

I've been gratified and heartened at how interested many people are, pricking up their ears at suggestions of low-fat brainwashing, and several have actually started eating low-carb as a result. Waiters and chefs have been awesome in presenting me with fabulous substitutions, and some real creative workarounds.

There is so much ignorance out there about diabetes, that it’s my feeling any dent any of us who know better can make in it, the better off we all are.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've told the family & a few friends, but by & large, there isn't a lot of discussion of it. My brother-in-law (LADA) & I compete for fasting levels when we're together for a few days, but he usually beats me.

I do modify the menu when we're in a restaurant - especially places like Red Lobster . . . they always look aghast when we say at the outset, 'hold the biscuits'. Usually it creates very little stir if I just ask that they pile on more salad & hold the baked potato. I don't mind if people know - I don't have a job to protect or other considerations, so I just go on doing my low-carb thing & usually people don't even notice.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I dont where a sign that says Im diabetic, (except when I ride in an ADA ride, then I wear my Red Rider shirt) I dont hide it, I will volunteer the info if it is germane to what is going on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I blogged about my initial diagnosis and post occasional updates on my blog, but I don't actively broadcast it aside from that. I've had friends ask me about how things are going after reading my posts and have no problems talking to them.

·
Registered
741 Posts
*nods* I don't carry on about it but all my friends know...I have friends with severe food allergies and really diabetes is not that different...this friend has to be diligent at all times...she is easy for me to eat with lol...

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
ive never felt the need to "hide". Most everyone i know knows.

G

·
I haven't decided yet, having only been diagnosed yesterday. I certainly didn't tell my 98 year-old mother when I visited her immediately after leaving the doctor's surgery.

Seems to me that I should get my head around it all first, and then decide who and what I tell.

For those of you who don't tell people at work, how do you manage to keep this a secret when you have to test your BG? I'm wondering how I'll do this when I go back to work tomorrow. There's no privacy in the pod where I work with two others and our toilet is open to the public (I work in a library).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't keep it a secret but I also don't tell everyone.

It's a lot harder to hide T1 I think. People can definitely see it when I give myself an injection at the restaurant. My fellow students however, don't know about it and I don't think they need to...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am pretty spastic when it comes to sharing personal info. Sometimes I will tell people waaaay too much and regret it later and other times I won't tell my own family things because I don't want to answer questions or deal.

I kept it a secret at work for 6+ months before I just lost it when someone was being a jerk to me, pushing cookies or something. I got flustered and practically shouted "look I have diabetes, leave me alone, okay?!". Things got better at the office afterwards. :D

With family I told them within a month or two but no one beyond my husband seems to understand that yes, it's permanent and that yes, just one cookie will cause me problems.

Telling others seems to be a bigger deal than it really is. Though maybe that has more to do with how "okay" I am feeling about the diagnosis than how other people feel/react... Not really sure.
Personally? When I got diagnosed back in April, my voluntarily ignorant mother and brother both not only BLAMED me for "getting" diabetes because "you're too fat" but also proclaimed that I shouldn't work myself up into a tizzy because "diabetes can be cured". Why? Because her CAT had diabetes and THAT got cured on its' own. Great logic. :rolleyes:

Well, now that I am staying with my mother who loves to butt into my health issues, I told her the other day "Hey, guess what - you were right, my diabetes is cured!" She actually believed me because she said "i told you so." Now, I don't have to listen to her nonsensical statements about diabetes and comparing me to her cat. I say tell only people you know you can trust are going to be sympathetic and supportive about your condition.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Dont sound nice to have a family blaming you for beeing diabetic.
My mother isn`t that hard, but she just loves to tell me how hard it is for a friend of her who is diabetes type 1 since she was a child. This friend has a BG wich is really hard to control (the lady is a real high-high carber and takes a lot of insulin) and she gets both hypo and sometimes a BG skyehigh, my mum says.
When I get hypo or to high it isn`t anything but my own mistake, and I have absolutely no right to complain.:eek:hwell:

Reactions: NotBubba

·
Registered
249 Posts
My husband has been diabetic for years, and he openly will tell you he is. I was just diagnosed this year, and thought I don't tell everyone, there are times and situations that I will tell people. I work for an orthopedic surgeon, and we have many people that come in that are diabetic that are all shapes and sizes. It makes things easier for them at times when they know you can understand what they are going through when it comes to their health. I find that the people I work with are the hardest ones to get to understand that you are diabetic. They bring in cupcakes etc, and when you say you can eat that, they get a bit upset. I'm like, I am diabetic girls, I chose not to eat that now as I am trying to take care of myself. Some people get it, others don't

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I don't go around proclaiming my T2 to the world, but I don't hide it either. People where I work know simply because if I should have a low that causes problems, they know what to do for me. My family of course knows, and trust me, they are on me like all get out if I dare put something to my mouth that shouldn't be there!

·
Registered
11 Posts
First off hiding it does not make sense every one should know. What if something happened and you went unconscious? EMT comes and put an IV in... that's going to be sugar water... people around you need to know. Ir it could be worse for you. If you don't tell anyone please wear a necklace and bracelet that says it..

1 - 20 of 54 Posts