The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered this product at Whole Foods - next to the soy "miracle noodles". Looks about the same, but are very translucent. They're made of kelp, so there's no soy, which makes me glad.

I tried them last night. Out of the bag (and rinsed) they are almost tasteless, and are quite crunchy. That was a surprise!

I cut them up with scissors into short 1/2" lengths and boiled them to try to soften them up - no go. Then I dried them off and sauteed them in margarine, onion and garlic powder - still crunchy. BUT - quite tasty, and was a nice side dish to the fish we had last night.

Kelp Noodles are going to be another low carb (next to no carb - 1g per serving) food I'll be adding to my staples.

The crunch did not turn me off. Actually, it reminded me of those crunchy Chinese noodles that I haven't had in years but remember fondly. So I will for sure be using on Asian dishes.

Anyone else eaten these? Any favorite way of eating them or in a recipe?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I haven't seen them around here but I remember Foxi talking about them. Sounds like a great thing for Low Carbers.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
These kelp noodles sound good. I will see if I can find them in our store. I miss not having noodles :(

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Strawberry, the kelp noodles are crunchy and apparently don't soften up by cooking them.

The soft noodles are called Shirataki Noodles (miracle noodles). There are two kinds, one is made from tofu (soy) and the other from a type of yam (not sweet potatoe type). Both types are almost 0 carbs. They are a little rubbery, but do work okay as noodles with sauce.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I think the "Tofu shirataki" actually are shirataki with a little tofu blended in. Lower-protein and carb than all-tofu.

Real "tofu noodles" are also on the market -- from Taiwan, and the chewy texture of rawhide shoelaces! They are lovely in soups.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Our store does have the Shirataki noodles made from tofu, but not the kind made from yam. The store has a growing supply of organic and international foods. I am guessing it is because people have requested certain items.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Tried 'em tonight & I'm a believer! I had ordered three bags from Amazon & I'll be ordering many more so I don't run out. I'd forgotten about you drying them & frying in seasoned butter, VeeJay . . . that will be my go-to side dish for everything from now on. But they were delicious in stir-fry tonight . . . and Chuck began to remember everything he knew about how healthy kelp is in one's diet, from some long-ago class or course he took! ;) So it's REALLY nice that he likes 'em! :D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Which ones did you get Shanny? I feel a midnight shopping spree coming on ...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Shirataki IS yam. Most of the US ones have the Tofu added, at least the ones I have seen.
The ones in my neighborhood supermarkets are all tofu, no yam. The fancy-schmancy store 5 miles away, however, stocks the tofu/yam blend, which I much prefer.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just so there's no misunderstanding (and dissapointment).

The kelp noodles are not soft. They are crunchy. Cooking doesn't soften them. (the yam/tofu Shirataki noodles are sort of soft and rubbery)

I cut up some kelp noodles (used scissors) and sprinkled them on my Chinese chicken dish - they were a passable substitute for Chinese noodles that I used to love (I like crunch!)

Next time I'll do like Shanny did and stir-fry the noodles to give them some flavor.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hmmm ... guess I have not seen the brand that is all tofu?

Anyhow, re: the kelp noodles, yes they are very neutrally flavored, my kids ADORE the texture when we mix them into a stir fry, though!

I like sesame sauce on them for flavor -- (my sub for peanut butter, use it if you prefer and can):
2 TBS sesame paste
1 TBS toasted sesame oil
1 TBS soy sauce (shoyu or
1 TBS rice or other vinegar
1 clove garlic, mashed
1 tsp or more to taste chili-with-garlic sauce

Garnish with cilantro, to complement the chili sauce!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hmmm ... guess I have not seen the brand that is all tofu?

Anyhow, re: the kelp noodles, yes they are very neutrally flavored, my kids ADORE the texture when we mix them into a stir fry, though!

I like sesame sauce on them for flavor -- (my sub for peanut butter, use it if you prefer and can):
2 TBS sesame paste
1 TBS toasted sesame oil
1 TBS soy sauce (shoyu or
1 TBS rice or other vinegar
1 clove garlic, mashed
1 tsp or more to taste chili-with-garlic sauce

Garnish with cilantro, to complement the chili sauce!
Your kids are most fortunate to have a Mum that is such an inventive cook :)

Reactions: moon

·
Banned
13 Posts
I have tried them many times. I usually get a spaghetti sauce with no sugar in it, and use the noodles for my spaghetti. I guess they are kind of crunchy, but I don't really notice it that much. I have also used them as a substitute in chinese food. I prefer noodles made from quinoa since I heard it is not supposed to spike blood sugar and has the soft texture of regular pasta, but I like the lighter feeling I get when I eat the kelp noodles.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I fixed a stir fry + sausage and added the kelp noodles to it, which were rather crunchy but went well with the dish.

The leftovers were kept in the refrigerator and eaten the next evening. The noodles were no longer crunchy - not soft, but definitely not crisp crunchy like they were the day before.

I'm wondering what it was that happened overnight to soften them - did they soak up a little bit of moisture?* I have in the past tried simmering them in water for an hour and that did not soften them one bit.

* They are stored in the 'fridge emersed in water, so just "soaking" certainly isn't what is going on here. Maybe their being heated first and then left to sit for 24 hours was the key?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fixed a stir fry + sausage and added the kelp noodles to it, which were rather crunchy but went well with the dish.

The leftovers were kept in the refrigerator and eaten the next evening. The noodles were no longer crunchy - not soft, but definitely not crisp crunchy like they were the day before.

I'm wondering what it was that happened overnight to soften them - did they soak up a little bit of moisture?* I have in the past tried simmering them in water for an hour and that did not soften them one bit.

* They are stored in the 'fridge emersed in water, so just "soaking" certainly isn't what is going on here. Maybe their being heated first and then left to sit for 24 hours was the key?

VeeJay I have noticed the exact same phenomenon but I also have noted when I substitute part of my rice noodles in my Pad Thai that they soften up just fine. I don't know what is the right way. I tried to make a Pad Thai tonight of 100% noodles and it was dreadful and bitter - they did not soften up at all:( I found some of the yam/tofu noodles in our local health food store called Pasta Slim "Spaghetti" noodles. I will try them tomorrow and post how they were.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VeeJay I have noticed the exact same phenomenon but I also have noted when I substitute part of my rice noodles in my Pad Thai that they soften up just fine. I don't know what is the right way. I tried to make a Pad Thai tonight of 100% noodles and it was dreadful and bitter - they did not soften up at all:( I found some of the yam/tofu noodles in our local health food store called Pasta Slim "Spaghetti" noodles. I will try them tomorrow and post how they were.
modpaleo dot com

The website above has a tip about letting the noodles 'boil' in liquid for about 20 minutes and they soften right up like angel hair pasta!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts