The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen various brands of Keto bread that claim zero "net carbs", and I'm somewhat skeptical in their claims. One brand in particular lists 15 grams of carbohydrates with 15 grams of fiber which is supposed to negate the carbohydrates.
Is there merit to these kind of breads? I'm new to the watching the carbs thing and bread has been one of my weaknesses. I know the flavor is not going to be the same, but if close it could be a benefit in planning diet.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Most of those breads use special ingredients and "creative accounting" to be zero-carb. To use (U.S.) Aldi's zero-carb bread as an example, one of the magic ingredients is "modified wheat starch". Wheat, of course, contains carbohydrates. But this starch is chemically altered in such a way that it is not completely digested by humans. Ssome undetermined amount is digested, however (and it, of course, does what highly-processed carbohydrates do in the body).

In addition, food producers only have to provide a nutritional breakdown for a "serving" of the food. In the case of the Aldi bread, that's one slice. And the government allows rounding errors and the ability to list something as free of <whatever> if there's less than a certain amount of it in one serving. If you eat a two-slice sandwich, you probably will see more than double of zero grams of carbohydrates because of the rounding of numbers and the double serving.

The ultimate test, though, is how your body reacts. That's why we encourage "eating to your meter". Some people will not notice any issue with these products. Others may see a surprisingly high glycemic response. The only way to know how it works for you is to try it, testing your blood glucose with your meter just before eating and then an hour and two hours -- maybe even three -- after eating to see what effect it may have had on your blood glucose.

Here's something else I'll throw in, though: people new to diabetes, and particularly to eating low-carb, usually are making big adjustments in what they eat. Many favorite foods go off-limits. It's tough to adapt to this new way of eating (plus things like measuring blood glucose multiple times and maybe adjusting medication for BG levels). If people really miss bread, I think it's okay for them to use something like a zero-carb bread as they start eating better. It's okay if you don't jump the river all at one time.

If zero-carb bread or sugar-free cookies or whatever is your treat, so long as you don't go overboard with it, you're on your way to eating better and managing your blood glucose. Eventually you may see how your body reacts to these treats (cheats) and decide to do away with them. But just starting out? This is hard enough. It can be a bridge to where you want to go.

·
Super Moderator
9,632 Posts
Another thing to watch for as you transition to lower carb varieties of foods and is worthy of testing to check your tolerance for them is foods labeled "diabetic friendly" and "no sugar added". Although they were a reduction in carbs versus what they replaced, they did not get me to where I wanted to be BG wise and I have to avoid them. YMMV (your milage may vary) and that is what makes testing when eating new foods important.

Reactions: itissteve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been experimenting with a few items and so far the Keto bread that Costco sells does not raise my levels much at all. Now it's not the bread
I'm used to but for toast in the morning it will be fine. I did find a Kato yogurt that is good and comes in at only 2 grams of carbs vs. the 15 my other brand had, so that helps.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Thanks for the update, Frankp877. I know there are many of us jonesing for a decent sandwich or some toast (or even French toast); it's nice to find a product that can reasonably scratch that itch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just want to say thank you to the person that said that he buys KETO bread at Costco. I bought the multigrain bread. at Costco in Kitchener, Ontario Canada, it is absolutely delicious, and very low carb. I, also bought KETO CRACKERS at Costco that are yummy! Again, thank you!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts