Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Keto diet not a fad

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kyteflyer 
#1 ·
The ketogenic diet is not a fad diet, it's what we used to treat people with before the advent of insulin.
Sarah Hallberg, D.O., spoke recently at the World Congress on Insulin Resistance, Diabetes, and Cardiovascular Disease.

we also misused [insulin] in type 2 diabetes. Instead of counseling people the way we used to about the food that they're taking in to control their blood sugar, we've just been putting [them] on medication, including insulin
95% of patients in the low-carbohydrate diet group were able to reduce or eliminate the number of medications they were taking, compared with 62% of patients in the low–glycemic diet group
Here's the rest of the story. n.b., her definition of a ketogenic diet is 50 g of carbohydrates or less.

#4 ·
My friend lost over 70 lbs in 10 months just by doing keto and very little gym. It does work.

#5 ·
I'm not so sure that any method that results in weight loss is good. After all, weight loss is one of the first signs of diabetes.
I lost 95 lbs. just by limiting processed foods & eating more vegetables & 3-4 fruits/day. And none of the weight came back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.