The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had diabetes for over 20 years and today for the first time, I have moderate ketones after exercising. I was low (67) prior to exercise so I had 30 carbs, tested again and was 90 so then exercised. I didnt do anything outside of the ordinary (cardio and weight training for 50 min). My bloodsugar was 207 when I was done. I didnt treat it thinking it was going to come back down, as I have many times become hypoglycemic after exercise. I then started to feel very nauseous an hour later, checked again, and was 273. Checked ketones and they are moderate?! I am so confused how I went from being low to having moderate ketones, and also I drank the usual amount of water I normally would. Any ideas?!?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
For most people 30 carbs would be enough before eexercising but your exercise required a lot of exertion and probably required more than 30 carbs. I would never start exercising with a BG of less than 120. I think your exercise burned up your 30 carbs before you were finished. Since carbs are necessary to supply the energy needed for physical exertion, your liver dumped a new supply of carbs into your sustem. That is one of the functions of the liver. The liver dump, when it occurs, is almost always more than is needed. That is most likely what caused your high BG. There are several things you can do to prevent this happening again. Make sure you have a higher BG reading next time before exercising. Trial and error will determine your best number for that exercise routine. Test every 20 minutes while exercising in order to see when you have burned up your carbs and your liver starts raising your BG. Take some insulin to correct the higher number before it is so bad and stop exercising at that time. Then you would know to have an even higher BG number before the next exercise session.

I exercise about 15 minutes after a meal. That way I have the carbs in my meal working for me and I don't have to eat extra before exercising unless I had a very light meal. My exercise is a one mile walk on roads with hills. I walk 2.5 miles in one hour. That is the best I can do at age 69 with some arthritis.

Good luck with your exercise sessions!

Richard

·
Registered
56 Posts
For a 30 minute brisk walk i'd like to have 130 to 140 pre-reading and after the walk it will normally slip to between 80 and 90. It's always a good idea to refrain from sugar intense foods that will burn quickly during the exercise while carrying a granola bar or a medium GI fruit with a bottle of water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ketones after exercise

Fitness isn't just a plan you embark on, along with a diet, to lose weight. Physical exercise and activity is an integral part of your mental and physical health. Regular exercise can reduce your risk of disease. Find new ideas for workouts so that you can choose a workout routine you can stick with for lifelong health.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts