The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've been on here before I still have problems with ketones I eat 3 meals after with increased carbs as had unintentional weight loss, I suffer with cold in body most of day but now after meals within an hour I get freezing cold and get moderate ketones normal blood sugar but I always know I've got ketones as get so very cold almost like I'm going into shock at times, very scary, gp and diabetes consultant say they don't know why this is, I take insulin regularly, its like I go into ketosis can some one please give any advice on this? Even my head and ears go cold, making me feel so ill.

·
Super Moderator
10,338 Posts
If there is a medical reason behind it, your doctors should be able to figure it out. Here is a link to an article on Healthline that deals with getting cold after eating. It discusses diet and medical causes. You should bring it back up with your doctor if its not a diet related issue.

·
Administrator
2,408 Posts
Hi, net. I'm sorry you're finding caring for your diabetes so challenging.

I'm not quite sure why you (or your medical team) is focusing so much on ketones. While some of us here count them as a sign of being in ketosis, home ketosis checks don't do a great job of giving you much useful information. Many (most?) of us don't measure ketones at all; we know when we're in ketosis (and we can tell when we're out of it). There's no need for us to measure with any precision.

You've posted several times over the months regarding treatment issues that seem to baffle your medical team. Much as we'd like to be able to give you a good "second opinion", we're not doctors. Your current medical team does not seem to be able to offer you treatment options that work for you. Can you move to a different medical team?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, net. I'm sorry you're finding caring for your diabetes so challenging.

I'm not quite sure why you (or your medical team) is focusing so much on ketones. While some of us here count them as a sign of being in ketosis, home ketosis checks don't do a great job of giving you much useful information. Many (most?) of us don't measure ketones at all; we know when we're in ketosis (and we can tell when we're out of it). There's no need for us to measure with any precision.

You've posted several times over the months regarding treatment issues that seem to baffle your medical team. Much as we'd like to be able to give you a good "second opinion", we're not doctors. Your current medical team does not seem to be able to offer you treatment options that work for you. Can you move to a different medical team?
I wish I could but you don't get a choice in uk of who you see 😕 thank for reply I was just reaching out

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If there is a medical reason behind it, your doctors should be able to figure it out. Here is a link to an article on Healthline that deals with getting cold after eating. It discusses diet and medical causes. You should bring it back up with your doctor if its not a diet related issue.
Thanks I will look , I'm unintentionally losing weight, and wondered if it was ketones causing it, as I keep going into ketosis, between meals, I eat 3 meals aday with carbs, and trying to build up my weight, I'm in and out ketosis all the time, but don't want to be, I don't think team believe me, but the weight lose bothers, as not over weight .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I will look , I'm unintentionally losing weight, and wondered if it was ketones causing it, as I keep going into ketosis, between meals, I eat 3 meals aday with carbs, and trying to build up my weight, I'm in and out ketosis all the time, but don't want to be, I don't think team believe me, but the weight lose bothers, as not over weight .
I have hypothyroidism, last 2 test show adnormal T3, just under normal result guideline, I asked if Levothyroxine should be increased, they said no, as it was 1st thing I thought of with such intense cold, but you don't get weight loss with underactive thyroid so they say .

·
Super Moderator
10,338 Posts
Thyroid issue was the first thing that came to my mind, but I don't know much about hypo or hyper. I know there was a big discussion on the a thread here on the forum years ago that got into what test numbers were more revealing of what was going on. It may be something of interest if we can find it. I think I'm going to have a busy week, but I'll try to remember to look for it tomorrow or the next day.

I might be wrong, but I think that the presence of ketones would be more of a result of weight loss than a cause.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thyroid issue was the first thing that came to my mind, but I don't know much about hypo or hyper. I know there was a big discussion on the a thread here on the forum years ago that got into what test numbers were more revealing of what was going on. It may be something of interest if we can find it. I think I'm going to have a busy week, but I'll try to remember to look for it tomorrow or the next day.

I might be wrong, but I think that the presence of ketones would be more of a result of weight loss than a cause.
Thank you for your interest and reply 🤞hope you can find something 😊

·
Super Moderator
10,338 Posts
I'm sorry, not much luck in my search for the bigger discussion, but here is a short one that mentions getting "more than the normal" thyroid tests run.

Haven't seen anything jumping out searching for posts about getting cold after eating.

I don't know anything about healthcare in the UK, but unless your medical team specializes in endocrinology, they should refer you to someone who does when they've reached the end of their leash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts