The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me why I might be having ketones along with low blood sugar? My blood sugar is 71 (3.8) and I have 0.2 ketones using the Precision X-tra meter which can measure both blood sugar and ketones using different strips designed for that.

I've been trying to follow a low carb, high fat diet and now I'm wondering if I'm in deep trouble here? :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
No! No no no.

You're not in trouble at all :)

Ketones are totally normal in the human body.

It's just when you get too many of them it gets dangerous.
I have the same meter and usually test around .1 or .2 and it's fine.

Ketones are normal. Don't worry.
Read the instructions for your strips. I think it says you're in ketosis at .8 and above.

Are you type 1?
Why did you test for ketones?

Trust me, real ketosis will make you feel really sick and usually it comes with a blood sugar of 300 and above.
I had 440 when I was in DKA.

You go into ketosis when you have little or no insulin. Happens when you forget your Lantus/Levemir or when your pump malfunctions.

In case you are type 2, ketosis normally shouldn't be of concern anyway.

Edit:
I have found this brochure for you:
http://www.dmforum.org.uk/DMF/PDF/bloodketonesmonitoring_A4.pdf

Go to page 5, it tells you that an acceptable range of ketones is .1 - 1.0

Basically you have just found out that your meter is working ;)

I hope this will answer your questions.
If not, feel free to ask.

Julian

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for finding the brochure. I am printing it as we speak and I will keep it with my meter and my other important papers. For some strange reason I seem to have lost the instructions with my strips.

In the beginning when I was first diagnosed I had a blood sugar of 450 (25) and I really did not feel well at all. Now quite a number of years later I was curious to see if a person registers ketones when your blood sugar is low. Then when I realized that maybe it also had something to do with low carbing - I was both concerned and curious.

btw - I am type 1.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
My BG is usually 70_90 and I show ketones in my urine most of the time, perfectly normal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
MCS said:
My BG is usually 70_90 and I show ketones in my urine most of the time, perfectly normal.
Most of the time?

Ketones in your urine are a different story.

They are only present when you burn a lot of fat/exercise or low carb.
Well, or if you lack insulin which is the dangerous one :)

Whereas ketones in your blood are always present. They are only present in your urine if they are above normal.

What kind of urine test do you use?
What do they say exactly?
I use the Accu Chek Keto Diabur something.

Btw strawberry, you're welcome and I am glad I could help!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Looks like all is well, Strawberry!

There are 2 ketone-related conditions, one (mostly) good and one bad.

Ketoacidosis is the bad one, caused by insufficient insulin and ultra-high blood sugar spikes.

Ketosis is the good one, caused by low-carb diet and exercise. Ketosis promotes weight loss.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like all is well, Strawberry!

There are 2 ketone-related conditions, one (mostly) good and one bad.

Ketoacidosis is the bad one, caused by insufficient insulin and ultra-high blood sugar spikes.

Ketosis is the good one, caused by low-carb diet and exercise. Ketosis promotes weight loss.
I'm glad to know I'm not doing something harmful. My GP has never explained these things to me. I need all the help I can get to lose a little weight :eek:

btw - Shalynne - could you remove post #4 as I don't think there should be two of the same post - not sure what happened because for just a moment my computer screen froze, then I had to reboot.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Common urine dipstick method. I usually eat a good bit protein for dinner so when I check in the morning its my lowest ketone out put. Body makes plenty of glucose during the night with what protein I eat. By lunch I am showing a small amount, after lunch and efore and after dinner it can range from moderate to large amount. Some days I can get quite the acetone smell about me. I eat pretty low carb.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it also 'normal' to have muscle aches when low ketones are present? I am experiencing a lot of aches that don't seem to be related to exercise or getting older and it isn't fun.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Sometimes those aches can be telling you something. If your body feels it is starved of glucose and your not eating enough protein your body will break down your lean muscle to make glucose. Resulting in some muscle ache.

Is it also 'normal' to have muscle aches when low ketones are present? I am experiencing a lot of aches that don't seem to be related to exercise or getting older and it isn't fun.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sometimes those aches can be telling you something. If your body feels it is starved of glucose and your not eating enough protein your body will break down your lean muscle to make glucose. Resulting in some muscle ache.
Sorry to be ignorant, but how does one know the "difference"? Could it just be my body wanting sugar because I will admit it - I have a powerful sweet tooth and when I woke up this morning with more aches the first thing I wanted to have if it had been in the house and available was a sweet roll. For some reason want it even though I know full well it isn't a good idea.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Not sure if there is a way to tell the difference. Are you a thin T1?. Do you own a good scale to measure your weight. Are you losing weight when you feel the aches in your muscles. Are you noticing a rise in your insulin basal rate. Might take some close observation to try and figure this out. You can try taking some L-Glutamine found in any health food store. Its also sold in drug stores under a different label for recovering from injuries. L-Glutamine is the intermediate compound your body uses to either repair muscle or to make glucose from muscle. When your body breaks down muscle for glucose the compound it makes first is L-Glutamine. L-Glutamine is used for other things as well. If you decide to take it start out with small amounts to see how your body reacts to it, it may want to make a lot of glucose or it may use it to repair your muscles. I was taking 30 grams a day at one time.

Sorry to be ignorant, but how does one know the "difference"? Could it just be my body wanting sugar because I will admit it - I have a powerful sweet tooth and when I woke up this morning with more aches the first thing I wanted to have if it had been in the house and available was a sweet roll. For some reason want it even though I know full well it isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I am not a thin Type 1 (although I wish I was). I have metabolic syndrome - hence the Metformin for insulin resistance. I will look for the product you mentioned in our local store first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts